Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Often to Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Lilman463
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Often to Charge?

Hey,
I moved to AZ last Nov & it seems that just about everyone here keeps their bikes on a battery tender @ all times. In ND as long as we rode @ least once a week, our batteries were good to go. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:11 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When your not riding it put on the tender keeps it 100% and ready to go when you are

Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 315 Posts

If my bike is not going to be sitting for more than 4 to 5 days, then it is plugged into the battery tender.

Remember, there is a difference between a battery charger and a battery tender (maintainer).

You can leave a battery connected to a battery maintainer for long periods of time.
You wouldn't want to do that with a battery charger.

And you wouldn't want to try and "charge" a low or dead battery with a battery tender either.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Having it on a tender often will ultimately extend the life of the battery too.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:25 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollaMo
If my bike is not going to be sitting for more than 4 to 5 days, then it is plugged into the battery tender.

Remember, there is a difference between a battery charger and a battery tender (maintainer).

You can leave a battery connected to a battery maintainer for long periods of time.
You wouldn't want to do that with a battery charger.

And you wouldn't want to try and "charge" a low or dead battery with a battery tender either.

I have a cheap battery in my riding mower that is 4 years old. It has been connected to a BT since day one. Most have to buy a new cheap battery every year, without the BT.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:36 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why should you not charge a dead battery with a tender? I've done it many times to my old truck with no problem

Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM
NAZ R1d3r
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lilman463
Hey,
I moved to AZ last Nov & it seems that just about everyone here keeps their bikes on a battery tender @ all times. In ND as long as we rode @ least once a week, our batteries were good to go. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I live in Northern AZ. I was told my multiple guys up here that they keep the tender on during this season and they ride at least once a week. So that's what I'll try as well. Should be ok that way.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:48 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Duplicate

Old 11-06-2013, 11:53 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilman463
Hey,
I keep mine on the tender all the time. It's always ready to go and the battery lasts way longer. All you have to do is kill a battery once to permanently damage it.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall

I keep mine on the tender all the time. It's always ready to go and the battery lasts way longer. All you have to do is kill a battery once to permanently damage it.
The tender is right there in the garage, plugged in. Just reach down and attach it to the permanently installed lead on the bike. It takes a second.

Quick Reply: How Often to Charge?