Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG outer headlight cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 07:32 PM
ORCUTTHD
|
Cruiser
Default RG outer headlight cover

Supid question, but how do I get the outer headlight cover off. It's dirty on the inside and I want to clean it. It looks like it pops off from outside, but I don't want to pry in the wrong spot or damage paint.
The service manual does not show.

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2007 | 08:18 PM
snoopy
Advanced
Default RE: RG outer headlight cover

Same here . I asked same thing. Was told it pops off. Am afraid to try. Will let dealer show me how.

Old 03-12-2007 | 08:49 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

Guys! It's too easy! There are four tabs, two on top, two on the bottom of the headlight cover. Take a putty knife and gently pry up the cover from the bottom about an inch from the corners. Wiggle it out. After some practice, you can do it with your fingers. I take mine out on a regular basis and clean and wax the inside. Novus plastic polish is great stuff for the outside on a semi-annual basis. Be sure to get the bugs off with a goodly shot of water.....you can scratch that plastic.

Old 03-12-2007 | 09:04 PM
g money
Account Retired

Putty knives make me nervous. It will pop off. If not from the top then try the bottom first. Pull up and out from the bottom or down and out from the top. Don't be afraid to use some muscle. It scratches easily so be careful what you use to clean it.
Gary D.

Old 03-12-2007 | 09:08 PM
SubZer0
Road Master

Just a suggestion, use a piece of wood cut down in a wedge shape or a phenolic scraper. You go and start prying on that thing with metal scrapers or screwdrivers, some thing is going to get scratched up.

Old 03-12-2007 | 09:47 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

this is like a lot of things in life - its easy "once" you see how it is done - be VERY careful when prying - this is a great way to chip the paint on the fairing. Just for info - when I did the swap from EG to RG - and I installed the headlight lens - it fit so snug - now way was this going to come off by following the above instructions - I am not saying the instructions above are wrong - these guys are right on - however, your lens could be as snug as mine would have been, had I just pushed it together - instead - I spent some time looking at why it was snug - turned out to just be layers of paint in the slot - with a jewlers file - I made a few passes and the lens went in like butter and can now be removed as above instructions...

Try and find a buddy that has done this before and have them show you the trick

Old 03-12-2007 | 11:24 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

The putty knife was used once! And it was very old!My paint was not harmed. Seriously, it is easy to get the lens to pop-off by lifting up with your fingers and pulling up and away. I guess an old plastic ice scraper or popsicle stick or other relatively harmless lever would certainly suffice if it proved stubborn.
Good idea on the paint removal in the slots, BTW.

Old 03-13-2007 | 01:30 AM
ORCUTTHD
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: harley0711

it fit so snug - now way was this going to come off by following the above instructions - I am not saying the instructions above are wrong - these guys are right on - however, your lens could be as snug as mine
Well here is my story.

Got home from work and read all the posts. OK, sounds easy enough. Tried with fingers, now raw.
Tried popsicle sticks, broke 3 in 10 pieces. Tried plastic thingy, nope. I'm very mechanical, auto tech by trade, whats goin on here?
Got my old broken putty knife out, OH NO! Started prying at upper left tap with towel as protector, harder, harder, BOING POP SNAP, cover comes flying off and hits me in the face.
Nearly S&%T my pants. No damage to cover or fairing. Cover waxed up and clean.

Hope I cleanded up the slots enough because it went back on awful tight?!?!

THANKS ALL, could not have done it with out you!