Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaking out of the Carburater and Air Filter?? Whats the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Ohio HD Guy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil leaking out of the Carburater and Air Filter?? Whats the cause?

I know oil can leak out of the carb and filter if you over fill the oil, but the 2012 FLHTK call for a gallon with the Oil Filter change.. Any thoughts??

Old 11-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

drips of oil in the air cleaner are not unusual, it is part of the HD "charm"

nothing to worry about

Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Thank the EPA brother. Do a search on Harley breather reroute. The sum total is this: you'll have to route the head breathers to a hose going to the ground. Its the first thing I do to a Harley.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:02 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

There is plenty of reading on this subject. I ended up running a DK Custom high flow 587 AC with their hose and filter kit less the filter. I instead used a T fitting and ran a single hose along the frame rail to the ground. So far so good.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leaking out of the Carburater and Air Filter?? Whats the cause?-p1030655.jpg  
Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Biker John
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Top End

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Thank the EPA brother. Do a search on Harley breather reroute. The sum total is this: you'll have to route the head breathers to a hose going to the ground. Its the first thing I do to a Harley.
I was told that this helps with top end oiling...True or false?

Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Ohio HD Guy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only problem I have is I like to keep the bike shinning!!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:15 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker John
I was told that this helps with top end oiling...True or false?
It has no effect on oiling.

It does help reduce carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and the top of the pistons though. The oil inducted thru the intake doesn't burn completely and creates deposits. These deposits will super heat faster than the material it's attached to. Super heat to the point of glowing and touching off the air fuel mixture before the spark plug does it. This is extremely bad for the engine. It's one of the primary reasons why folks who do not reroute that oil mist have "pinging".

Old 11-05-2013, 04:25 AM
RussH
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohio HD Guy
I know oil can leak out of the carb and filter if you over fill the oil, but the 2012 FLHTK call for a gallon with the Oil Filter change.. Any thoughts??

If you put exactly 4 quarts in, its probably over filled a little. You need to actually check the level on the stick. 4 quarts is a completely dry motor spec.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:48 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohio HD Guy
As lots of reading will suggest, some bikes have a greater issue then others.

My '08 TC seeped oil from the breathers into the throttle body and pooled in the manifold between each cylinder. The oil would also slowly coat the air cleaner and finally show itself on the outside of the air cleaner and parts below.

I inserted steel brake tubing into the breather holes to direct the oil more into the throttle body. While that had some success, the oil just seemed to form even larger puddles at the bottom of the manifold.

My 2012 TC began to show essentially the same oil issue not long after I put it into service.

This time, I pulled the black tubes from the rear of the air filter (leaving them attached to the breather ports) and wrap oil absorbent material around the bottom open end and just let the black tubes hang behind the AF. I then plugged the two holes on the back of AF.

I ran the bike this way all this summer checking things from time to time.

The other day I checked my rigging again. I unwrapped the black breather tubes and noticed only a couple drops of oil in the material. No oil on the AC back plate or AC housing.

Maybe, just maybe, the intake creates enough vacuum to draw some of the oil mist out of the heads and into the throttle body creating the often-reported oily mess. By not subjecting the heads to this vacuum, maybe the oil is not being sucked out creating the problem.

And for those wondering, I only ran the oil level about half way up the dip stick as my "full" mark on both bikes which is not even close to a full gallon of oil.

Sorry, no pics...

Last edited by Pine Tree; 11-05-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Biker John
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
It has no effect on oiling.

It does help reduce carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and the top of the pistons though. The oil inducted thru the intake doesn't burn completely and creates deposits. These deposits will super heat faster than the material it's attached to. Super heat to the point of glowing and touching off the air fuel mixture before the spark plug does it. This is extremely bad for the engine. It's one of the primary reasons why folks who do not reroute that oil mist have "pinging".
Well see there you go...Who says you don't learn something everyday. I re-routed mine on my 2002 EG by drilling hole(s) in the air intake bottom side, then threading them for a standard brake line fitting. Using copper tubing I flared and form fitted them down and away towards the ground. Worked just fine and they're easier ways to do this.

I've read from other MC sources it was highly recommend to do this? Not to allow gas and oil to mix at the carbs.

Instead of "oiling" I meant its for "top end lubrication". I stand correct as otherwise noted as I was told this at an HD dealer...Go Figure.

"I thought "pinging" came from an improper balance of fuel mixture and air or to aggressive timing settings?

Last edited by Biker John; 03-31-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil leaking out of the Carburater and Air Filter?? Whats the cause?