Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding In The Rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:17 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding In The Rain

Last year I road my RK Classic from Columbus, Ga across state to Jekyll Island for the HOG rally. Rained nearly all the way.

I bought a medium grade rain suit from the HD dealership before I left. It worked fine BUT I neglected to get something for my feet. They got soaked. I still haven't got anything for my feet - I'm still looking around.

I wear glasses and they got wet on both sides, couldn't see. Then I remembered I had some gogles in my hack and they worked great - could see again.

Didn't like getting beside 18-wheelers though. They throw up a heap of water.

Like many have said, you'll need to slow down and when you come to a stop watch were your feet land. The paint on the road can get real slick and your feet will try to shoot out from under you.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ride in the rain alot.. if i planned a ride and its raining i still go.... torrentials it is best to pull over due to visiblity.... steady ran no biggie, just back off the speed, hang out in the slow lane... pay attention to steel supports on bridges, panted sufaces, man holes, and some roads are slick due to type of finish. you get better traction than you can believe.. (old sport bike would wheelie down the road never spinning a tire) dont panic when you see steel, just ride, it may kick out but it will come right back once you hit pavement.. as in dry weather your front brake is most of your power...but beware at slow spped turns on wet... you hit some paint with wheel turned and front brake on too much....you goin down...

as others said... chill out, relax, and enjoy the ride...

i always laugh when sitting at a red light in the rain... the cagers probably think, poor guy, while im thinking...great day to ride and im on my scoot by choice..

its mind over matter.....i dont mind and the weather dont matter...

Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Pacemaker
Road Captain

The longest that I have ridden in the rain was 550 miles, went 1035 miles that day. I bring two helmets with me on long tips. One helmet is a full face modular that I wear in the rain or in cold weather, the other is a skull cap forthe states thatrequirehelmets. The full face helmets works great in the rain.[/align][/align][/align]

Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Swamp Fox
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Pacemaker
I bring two helmets with me on long tips. One helmet is a full face modular that I wear in the rain or in cold weather, the other is a skull cap forthe states thatrequirehelmets. The full face helmets works great in the rain.

[sm=signs007.gif][sm=exactly.gif]

Old 03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Snobal
Tourer

Riding in the rain - no problem. But it does quickly get cold at about any temperature - good rain gear or not.

Riding in the rain at night - big problem. Can't see through rain-covered windshield due to headlight glare and if you look over it, can't see due to rain in face or rain-covered glasses. Also, the rain at night seems to stir up thecritters - always seems to be deer in the road on a rainy night - and they don't have their lights on.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Pacemaker
Road Captain

Try a full face modular helmet. Then I can look over the windshield. Work great for me. In October I was coming home fromCleveland, OH.to Chicago at night it rain all the way until I got to the first cashbox in chicago, then it stop it about 1:30 am. Nolan helmet love it.[/align]

Old 03-13-2007, 02:41 PM
msbhvn
Cruiser

I learned a lesson by applying Rainx to a windshield on a Goldwing. Permanently etched the surface. Haven't tried it on any bikes since.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Riding in the rain is no big deal if you are ready for it. We came home last year in the rain for 600 miles and only got home a hour later that we had planned.

I have a 3/4Nolan helmet with retractiable face shield, rain gear, Cruserworks boots, seal skin gloves and thumb squeege. Slow down and remember cage drivers have a harder time seeing you than they normaly do.

Good thing about riding in the rain, all the bugs you had on the bike will be washed off!