Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding In The Rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:50 PM
harleyplay
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding In The Rain

Thanks for all the great tips! I'm looking forward to a great trip.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:15 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Put a good coat of sealer on your wind screen. It will help the water roll off other wise it beads and sits and reduces visibility. If your wearing anything other than a full face helmet and you hit rain it's gonna sting when your at 50+ no matter what. Glasses will fog up so like was said earlier keep a cloth handy to wipe with at stops. I live in the Pacific NW and around here if your'e affraid to ride in the rain you don't ride much. Having rain gear is a must but you need to decide to be wearing it whenyou start out. It is not usually very easy to get into when you start getting wet.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,357 Likes on 6,149 Posts

Watch out for manhole covers too, they get pretty slick when wet.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:59 PM
07classic
Cruiser

Like he said stay away from "MANHOLES" LOL

Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 PM
aussie2
Road Captain

So how do you guys handle the Interstates in the rain? I got caught on the way to Houston last summer. The rain was reasonably heavy. The trucks were still sitting on 65-70mph. When I slowed down, they blinded me as they passed (as well as sending all the road crap my way). If I sped up to my usual 75mph, I couldn't see either. I ended up pulling off the interstate and waiting it out. Just interested to know what experience has taught some of you guys.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Swamp Fox
Road Captain

Watch out for anything metal - grates, bridge joints, etc. They can get pretty slick. Allow yourself a bit more time to get to your destination. Relax, and enjoy the <wet> scenery! And have a great time!!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Be very light on your rear brake.
Be comfortable... dry and warm or it just plain sucks.
After 10 min, you realize that you use very little of your available traction in the dry. The bike wont just fall over in the rain

Like everyone said... no smooth surfaces. This is where those rain grooves we all hate in the dry are your favorite surface.

I disagree about the center... after its been raining a bit, you will find a lot less water in the center of the lane. The weight of the cars and the heat of summer tend to make ruts that get water in them.

Make sure your tires are properly inflated, maybe even raise the pressure a bit. The skinnier surface contact will create more weight per square inch of contact (more weight in less space) which lowers your chance of hydroplaning. Speaking of tires... they aren't bald are they?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: aussie2

So how do you guys handle the Interstates in the rain? I got caught on the way to Houston last summer. The rain was reasonably heavy. The trucks were still sitting on 65-70mph. When I slowed down, they blinded me as they passed (as well as sending all the road crap my way). If I sped up to my usual 75mph, I couldn't see either. I ended up pulling off the interstate and waiting it out. Just interested to know what experience has taught some of you guys.
I wear a full face helmet on a trip just in case of rain. I wear glasses and I can't see $hit once they're wet. I treat the windscreen (which I look over) and my face shield with Honda Spray Cleaner& Polish. Water beads up and sheds as good as Rain-Xwhich isn't suited for plastic. I keep the face shield cracked for ventilation to keep my glasses from fogging.

I go with the flow. Like Lowrider said, the Dunlops handle the rain just fine. My experience with truckers over the years has been really good. They certainly kick up the spray but more often than not they'll run as far to the left as they can in the fast lane when passing and delay pulling back into the right lane for a bit to try and reduce the spray job. If the face shield doesn't shed the water, I close it down and sit straighter up for a couple of seconds and that blows it fairly clean for me.

I also run my tires in the left tracks of the vehicle I'm following. I think it lessens the chance of hydroplaning which I haven't experienced on an interstate.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Light to medium down pours are OK to ride in but if you have a phone with web access it's nice to check the radar ahead of you. If it is heavy up ahead stay put until yousee a break. If you don't have the web enabled phone call a friend who has access to the Internet to check the radar for you.They can help you time when to stayput and when to go.Heavy rain can reduce your visibilty to a few feet and you certainly don' t want to be riding under those conditions. Don't be in a hurry. I changed my windshield to the 8" which puts it about 2" below my eyes and I use a short face shieldand asoft shop rag in my pocket to wipeit off when it gets tobad to see through.That way I don't have to look through two rain covered surfaces. I have had some fun times talking to people while waiting for the weather to clear. Have a cup of joe and relax. The road will still be there.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 AM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have definitely pulled to the shoulder of an interstate highway during a torrential rain - a thunderstorm-type rain. When you can't see, or when the water starts standing on the pavement, get the hell off! Sit tight until it slacks off or motor slowly down the shoulder until you reach the next exit. Too damn dangerous to keep going.

Quick Reply: Riding In The Rain