Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:17 AM
sgl0226
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wind Noise

My hearing is really starting to get bad. I found out that wind noise from motorcycle riding can be very harmful and there is no doubt that after a long ride wearing my 3/4 helmet on my road king my hearing seems muffled. It's getting progressively worse the more I ride. Today I got some custom earplugs made and that is supposed to be the best solution. I don't like that fact that I won't be able to hear the traffic though. I suspect a full face helmet would also be a possible solution but I much prefer a 3/4 for visibility. I had a BMW 1200RT and on the highway I would raise the electric windshield and totally eliminate the wind noise. That's what I liked most about that bike, but I decided overall I much preferred riding a Harley. I had a street glide but the wind noise on that was also bad. Indian has an electric shield now but I also want a bike with a tour pack, which Indian doesn't have. My guess is an electric shield for Harley's isn't that far off in the future. For those of you with the new 2014's, I know the fairing vent cuts down on buffeting but does it also cut down on wind noise?
Anybody else suffering from hearing loss due to wind noise, and if so, what are you doing about it?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:24 AM
flyboy9994
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I definitely wear ear plugs for wind noise. I already have some tinnitus (ringing in the ears) from riding many years without ear protection. If I lose my hearing, I lose my job!

Old 11-01-2013, 11:33 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

what?

I wear ear buds on the longer rides, plumbed into the stereo.

keeps the music in, the wind and road noise out

the wind noise is affected much by the way the ride is set up and even what clothing the rider picks to wear... you might be surprised at the diff in jacket collar up/down.

wind noise increases with speed

and in the end the rider has full control of all the aspects that contribute to this, once aware of the results of long exposure.

I find that fitted plugs are not alot better than the foam decidamps- the foam plugs often comform better to the ear canal if the jaw is moving.

while a full face may be better than a 1/2, i find that bare headed ( my preference) can be better than a 1/2 or 3/4

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I wear gun shooter ear plugs. The rubber ones on a string. And I don't ride without them. My wife won't wear them and I have to repeat myself when we stop because of the wind noise. She has to repeat herself because of my plugs.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Benito
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It amazes me how different so many responses can be for the same question.

I too had an R 1200 RT that was comfortable on the Hwy with the w/s tilted all the way in the up position.

I too use a 3/4 helmet, a very thin doorag that covers my ears and protects my helmet liner from sweat, and I just wad up a small piece of tissue paper or napkin and I'm good to go.

I also got rid of loud pipes, but that's another story. Just sayin...

Cheers/B

Old 11-01-2013, 02:03 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Ear plugs ... any kind ... don't leave home without 'em. And my experience has been that full-face and modular helmets are actually louder than open-face or no helmet at all when it comes to wind/road noise. I've also been known to simply use cotton ***** in my ears (not the whole thing, my ears aren't THAT big). Cuts down just enough of the wind noise so I can easily hear the CB/tunes thru the headset while wearing a helmet, but can still hear important traffic noises (sirens, semi's, etc).

Old 11-01-2013, 02:15 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

What did you say????

Old 11-01-2013, 02:21 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i wear a shorty most of the time and a modular when it gets colder or threatens rain. i'm not really bothered by wind noise. i find that the modular "appears" louder to me than the shortie. i can't hear outside noise as much but the mufflers seem sometimes amplified. probably just my imagination.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:17 PM
bent trix
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earplugs block traffic noise? FF helmets - the tighter the helmet the lest noise. I wear FF and ear plugs whenever I ride, unless it's just going to the corner market. I too had an RT, wore earplugs on it too. Getting used to them is key.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:28 PM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

80% + high freq hearing loss over my lifetime of riding. I found out a year ago.

http://www.alpinehearingprotection.c...lugs/motosafe/

These were recommended to me. I wear them on any run longer than 10 minutes. I can hear music, traffic, voices with no issue.

You can spend literally hundreds on custom molded. These were a fraction of the cost and recommended to me by the Doctor I saw.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise