Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Bags Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Forge
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hard Bags Advice

Hey folks. I normally cruise the softail section but thought I would seek your advice. Thought t if anyone has experience with hardbags it's this section.

Came across some hard bags on eBay. Made by Sherman Saddlebags (1 year warranty).
Supposed to be hand laid fiberglass (4 inch stretched bags).

Anyone heard of this brand name: "Sherman Saddlebags"?

Any reason to stay away from fiberglass bags (versus ABS)?

I did search the forum, but no luck. I know MOCO uses ABS but is that because it's cheaper or better?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's not that abs is cheaper ,but it will not star crack over a period of time like fiberglass.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Harley used gf for decades (as BMW did), only going over to abs quite recently. I had gf bags on my new 70s Harley and still have them on my current Glide. None of them have suffered any star or other damage. On the other hand abs has been used by many brands for a long time, but had issues. While gf is expensive to make in large quantities I suspect the MoCo has gone over to abs partly as an economy measure, partly because abs is at long last a dependable product. For a firm making small quantities of aftermarket stuff abs tooling would probably cost a lot more than gf moulds. Well made gf stuff should be fine IMHO.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:48 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Harley used gf for decades (as BMW did), only going over to abs quite recently. I had gf bags on my new 70s Harley and still have them on my current Glide. None of them have suffered any star or other damage. On the other hand abs has been used by many brands for a long time, but had issues. While gf is expensive to make in large quantities I suspect the MoCo has gone over to abs partly as an economy measure, partly because abs is at long last a dependable product. For a firm making small quantities of aftermarket stuff abs tooling would probably cost a lot more than gf moulds. Well made gf stuff should be fine IMHO.
This kinda made me laugh GR. I know you were just speculating why HD and BMW just went to ABS but it couldn't have been because "abs is at long last a dependable product". ABS has been around since like 1948 and fills every nook and cranny including hard items like front/rear bumpers of nearly every car in production since the 70's or something.

HD probably went to it finally because the cost made sense.

+1 on Fiber being good enough. Echo that...

lp

Last edited by lp; 11-01-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:48 AM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

ABS is absolutely way cheaper to make a bag out of than fiberglass. In fact, the cost comparison is at 2 completely different ends of the spectrum. ABS resin pellets are sold in bulk and parts made from it are injection molded 100's per hour, whereas hand laid fiberglass costs infinitely more for the raw materials and then all of the handwork/finishwork required really jacks up the price.

Don't get me wrong, an ABS bag is tougher, much lighter and costs less to the end user than a fiberglass bag but fiberglass bags can be repaired in the event of damage.

Companies did not migrate to injection molding bags out of ABS out of its superior durability characteristics but ONLY because it is cheaper to make. Period.

I happen to work for a external manufacturing company that went from fiberglass to ABS/HIPS contruction on its parts a number of years ago.

Long story short, buy the ABS bags - you will be happy with them and take the extra jack you saved by not buying fiberglass ones and buy some more chrome bits for your scoot.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Forge
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it.

Forge

Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

ABS can be injection molded, and it is a durable material.

Upside: cost savings, good structural qualities

Down side: harder to repair when damaged.

2002 was the last year for fiberglass, 03 got ABS

Old 01-25-2015, 11:29 PM
WallyWhite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Forge,

Did you by chance end up trying out the Sherman saddlebags? I recently picked up a retired police bike and I was looking for some more room and saw those same one's on ebay. I have all the lids and hardware, just curious to find someone who could possibly give a review on these. Or if there's anyone else out there who's tried them I'd welcome the feedback. The bike has it's dings and chips here and there so I don't need it to look perfect. I'll eventually get it re-painted next winter, but looking for something for this summer. Thoughts anyone?