Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question - stock vs Rineharts

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:21 PM
gator100
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question - stock vs Rineharts

I have been running 4" Rinehart slip on's on my 2012 Ultra Classic. I loved the sound. Nice deep rumble. I just installed a set of Vance & Hines Dresser Duals to eliminate the cat, and wow.. is it LOUD. I knew it would pick up a bit, but it does not even sound like the same bike. I was going to put the stock mufflers back on to see how that sounded with the true duals, but someone said the stock mufflers have different baffles between the two sides. I can't see why, but does anyone have knowledge or experience with this?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't speak to your question specifically, however, I had a similar situation. My set up (V&H Power Duals and RCX-Haust mufflers) was getting kind of loud to me, so I put the stock mufflers on my V&H Power Duals and they sound terrible - not much better than when they were on the stock header with cat. converter in it.

My friend gave me his 4" Rineharts, so I put them on and they sound pretty to me - sound is so subjective.

I tell you this to save you from putting your stock mufflers back on and then having to take them off again because they sound terrible. My opinion - FWIW. Good luck.

Last edited by one-up; 10-31-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 307 Likes on 199 Posts

Gator
I sent you an email..

Old 11-01-2013, 01:03 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers and the left side is more restricted causing about 80% of the exhaust flow to go through the right side which increases torque. It makes it more like a 2-into-1 system. Maybe the stock mufflers are similar in principle?

Last edited by NoCoLoco; 11-01-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:32 AM
TeeStu
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Dresser Duals and 4" Rineharts. Give um a chance...It'll grow on you. I get positive comments all the time on the sound...

Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 AM
ArmyHop
Intermediate

A Harley can't be too loud. Enjoy the sound, other people in different country's wish they could run true duals without noise limitation.

I got the Xtreme duals on mine with the 4 inch mufflers and they sound amazing. Not loud at all while cruising but once you accelerate a little it's got plenty of bark!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that sound is so subjective. I have the VH power duals with the 4 inch RH. I guess because I am on the bike I don't hear the sound like those behind me but I've often wondered if they aren't loud enough.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 AM
dhermann43
Cruiser

Stay away from the stock setup they are so restrictive, I wouldn't use your stock slip ons for anything. They are junk. Personally I love the sound of the Reinharts (thats what I have) the V&H are a bit loud for me, not that I don't like loud, but after awhile on a touring bike it gets annoying. I had a CFR 2-1 on my VROD, road it 6 hrs and man my ear had a sound in it all night long. It gets to you. My opinion is to go with something that is loud yet comfortable during a long ride. I tried out alot of setups by riding buddies bikes, and I found that with my setup of the jackpot 2-1-2 headers and reinhart 4" slipons.

Just my thought.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:41 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
I have Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers and the left side is more restricted causing about 80% of the exhaust flow to go through the right side which increases torque. It makes it more like a 2-into-1 system. Maybe the stock mufflers are similar in principle?
This is exactly right.You could have your stock mufflers re-cored by American Customs which would eliminate that and give you allot of baffle options but it'll cost ya.Or just shop around for some quieter slip ons

Old 11-22-2013, 05:54 PM
artpe54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the S&S Power Tune Duals with the American Custom slip ons with no baffles. Sounds pretty good, but I might add the baffles to tone it down a bit.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question - stock vs Rineharts