Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift table question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lift table question

So with the discussions about the HF lift table, I think I am pretty ready to give up rolling around on the garage floor, and don't want to drop a bunch of money on a big $ lift unless I have to. To now I have taken off the rear wheel with my motorcycle jack but wonder if the HF owners can remove the rear tire from the HF lift. Does the ramp give enough clearance for the wheel to drop out?I guess I would need a service jack as well.
As always thanks in advance

Old 10-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Tanker2
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

They have a plate on the back that you can remove. It comes out so you can drop the wheel down. Yes you need to support the frame with a small jack and remove the wheel.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:36 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

you don't need to spend big money on a "real" lift. read my post in the other HF lift thread.
as far as removing the rear wheel while on the lift, I've never tried but don't think it's possible or a good idea, as I'm pretty sure you'd have to lift the bike (separately) from the lift.
the ramp has nothing to do with it. it's only used to get the bike on the lift.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:27 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Better bet, instead of getting the cheapest table available, buy the best jack money can buy. I have rebuilt 4 different bikes (R&R the engines) on my J&S jack. It is the perfect height to work on while sitting on a roll around mechanics chair. WIth the dyno and setting up a shop, slowly, I will buy a lift at some point. But I have done any service you can think of off of the J&S. Front ends, rear wheels, engines, etc. And... I have NEVER strapped a bike to the jack. Removing an engine has a couple tricks to keep bike balanced.

VERY solid platform to work off of. Can roll the bike around and even roll it against the wall while rebuilding engines.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 10-31-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:03 AM
keith t
Tourer

Thanks for the replies, I was in a bit of a rush with my OP. I first thought about getting some plans and building my own, then saw the HF lift ( but didn't notice an access plate for the rear wheel. I also have considered moving up the scale a little to http://www.nhproequip.com/pro-1200se...-free-shipping. I am no major league mechanic, mostly tired of the floor. I usually try to buy good tools even though my Chicago Pneumatic 4" grinder has served me well, and the upper class of lifts are tempting. Will have to wait a while before $ is on hand but the rear wheel access was just a question I had wanted to know about in case HF wins out. I don't have a lot of room and I Do like the 1200 SE MAX looks pretty good especially since it includes the service lift and some other stuff.
thanks again to all

Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM
keith t
Tourer

oops, fingers malfunction.......meant to say I don't have a lot of room and have read that some of you guys tip the HF on its side when not in use. Suppose the chock has to come off?? I also am thinking about cutting a section of the garage floor out and dropping the lift in so it sits flush when not in use. Just hope it happens sometime soon, whatever it is, really don;t like that floor

Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Better bet, instead of getting the cheapest table available, buy the best jack money can buy. I have rebuilt 4 different bikes (R&R the engines) on my J&S jack. It is the perfect height to work on while sitting on a roll around mechanics chair. WIth the dyno and setting up a shop, slowly, I will buy a lift at some point. But I have done any service you can think of off of the J&S. Front ends, rear wheels, engines, etc. And... I have NEVER strapped a bike to the jack. Removing an engine has a couple tricks to keep bike balanced.

VERY solid platform to work off of. Can roll the bike around and even roll it against the wall while rebuilding engines.

Very kool indeed. Haven't done work to the same extent as you, but I agree 110% on the praise for the J&S Lift. It's definitely the next best thing to having a table!!

Old 10-31-2013, 03:44 PM
kjc
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Keith T,I have the lift you put a link to,love it.the only difference with mine is that I have the front extension which I attached the wheel chock to and I just slide it on the front and bolt it down when I need it.It's also recessed in the garage floor so I don't even notice it's there when I don't need it.

Attached Thumbnails Lift table question-lift-001a.jpg   Lift table question-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 PM
HOT DAMN!
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kjc
It's also recessed in the garage floor so I don't even notice it's there when I don't need it.
Nice.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:29 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PiedPiper
you don't need to spend big money on a "real" lift. read my post in the other HF lift thread.
as far as removing the rear wheel while on the lift, I've never tried but don't think it's possible or a good idea, as I'm pretty sure you'd have to lift the bike (separately) from the lift.
the ramp has nothing to do with it. it's only used to get the bike on the lift.
..I think there is some confusion going on between "the ramp", and the "drop out plate". As said, the ramp is just to drive the bike on...then there is the removable "plate" that is the section under the rear tire when the bike is up on the table. As far as just "dropping" the rear tire...forget it...the idea is to jack the bike up a few inches with a scissors type jack under the center of the frame, then remove the drop out section...then lower the wheel down after removing the axle...you lower it enough to then angle it out from under the rear fender, and pull it up and out,,

Quick Reply: Lift table question