Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy with HD after 30 years

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:18 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel your pain, brother. Hope it gets worked out to your satisfaction.

There's a saying: "Never buy the first year of a new model vehicle."

The implication is that there will always be bugs to work out once the vehicle is subject to real world testing.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

It sucks... but looking at the big picture: you've ridden HD for 30 years and you're walking away after 30 days in the shop on a brand new model? Personally, I would be a little more forgiving.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:04 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
Harley has built water cooled motors for years, hello remember the Vrod.IMO where they screwed up was trying to turn an air cooled motor into a water cooled motor but have it still look air cooled.Some of the metrics build water cooled V twins that have the appearance of air cooled but they're designed from the ground up to do that.
+1.... Just put the Vrod motor in the Road glide and get it over with already... Thats a watercooled Harley Id consider buying.

Last edited by CRF; 11-01-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rootro
If nobody purchases the first model then how are the bugs going to be worked out?
Ummm.... I dunno.... Through a well thought out and properly engineered design? Or maybe an effective quality control program? Or how about through the implimentation of a thorough testing regime?..... Nah - you're right... Way easier just to foist them on the consumer and wing it.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

First year gremlins. I loved the 09 models at first but learned to hate them after a few months. Waited a few years and came back to the new frame after the bugs were worked out.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
There is a lot to be said about having the security of a tried and tested design, and having a bike that doesn't require the dealership to keep it running. That new bike smell is great, but it also comes with payments and new bike aggravation. Sure, the 14's have some cool new stuff. Sadly you can't enjoy it while it sits at the shop.
Originally Posted by Guitardude
It's ALWAYS cheaper to pay upkeep than to expense depreciation...

I've not bought a "NEW" Ranch truck in 20 years. Buy a year old and let someone else deal with any early on issues.
Originally Posted by Ghosteh
^^ This

Never be the first to buy a newly designed model. Wait until they work out all the bugs.

Ideally, when you hear a manufacturer is introducing a new model, buy one of the discounted "last year's" editions.
:icon_beerch ug:

Lots of wisdom here, guys.

Originally Posted by Rootro
If nobody purchases the first model then how are the bugs going to be worked out?
Originally Posted by CRF
Ummm.... I dunno.... Through a well thought out and properly engineered design? Or maybe an effective quality control program? Or how about through the implimentation of a thorough testing regime?... Nah - you're right... Way easier just to foist them on the consumer and wing it.
No worries. There are going to be plenty of folks who make first model year purchases - and there will be plenty of reasons for doing it.

Personally, if I were in a herd of sheep headed for the cliff, I'd want to be in the back of the herd.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
+1.... Just put the Vrod motor in the Road glide and get it over with already... Thats a watercooled Harley Id consider buying.
I was on a team at Delphi working on the V-Rod engine management system before its debut. We all thought the water cooled motor would be introduced in the Touring lineup a year or 2 later. Unfortunately the water cooled V-Rod was not received well by the majority of air cooled harley customers. 120 hp out of the box....

Old 11-01-2013, 07:23 AM
danski999
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry its been such a bad experience for you. I had issue's with my 2010 before my current bike, long story short, I called harley and told them my next bike will be a victory due to their shody workmanship. Once harley itself (not the dealer) got involved everything got fixed. So for sure get them involved.

Bad thing is now you have the dealer who has to deal with an insurance issue over dropping your bike, myself I might feel like f-it keep the bike I want my money back. Of course they are gonna want to fix it, I would have to see the damage to make up my mind, but for sure I would be fed up at the point you are now.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:59 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,570 Posts

a friend of mine got a new bike and they bought it to his house in an enclosed trailer because of bad weather ,anyway while unloading it they dropped it and he told them to take it back and get him a new one. they did and should have.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
I was on a team at Delphi working on the V-Rod engine management system before its debut. We all thought the water cooled motor would be introduced in the Touring lineup a year or 2 later. Unfortunately the water cooled V-Rod was not received well by the majority of air cooled harley customers. 120 hp out of the box....
I know right?.... I think thats got more to do with the design of the bikes they put them in than it does with the engine or the fact its watercooled. If the had put them in a more traditional looking bike i think they would have sold fine... And if they did it now i'm fairly certain they'd sell too. Its the look and lack of utility of the vrod bikes that has kept me from considering buying one... Not the motor

Quick Reply: Not happy with HD after 30 years