Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy with HD after 30 years

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 AM
mabhd06
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the drop of the bike, no excuse for that. As far as the problems it is my experience that Harley takes care of it's problems. I have a 2010 Ultra Limited with the 103, I think an early production model of the engine. I have had my share of problems and every time they have taken care of the problem. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

I feel your pain and, have some of my own...
Same issue with new Street Glide Special, Bike down for a week while they repair.. When picking up bike, tech straps bike down and grabs controls with strap... luckily I noticed and had them repair while there.. Bike is returned and they washed it... And for some reason they waxed the fairing..... Not sure if they were trying to fix something but it is totally F'd up now with scratches throughout it and the top of inner painted fairing.. Lets see how they fix this mess... I think I will call Harley and start a bitch session with a Rep...
As you mentioned above, first year things do happen.. the idiots working on them and working for Harley shouldnt

Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When you read this short article, just change the brand name from Audi to HD. This is how I feel about the 2014 water/liquid cooled engines...

http://www.realcartips.com/newcars/0...gned-car.shtml

Some quotes from the article:

"If you have to wait 9 months, that's over $550 in savings for each month you wait. Besides saving money, another advantage to waiting is that you'll get a car that has fewer problems."

"Whenever a new model is redesigned, there are always some quality issues that need to be ironed out at the production facility. If you buy one of the first cars that roll off the assembly line, you may be spending more time in the service department than actually driving it."

OP, again....sorry for your troubles with the dealer. But you really need to be in the dealership talking with, not only the manager, but the owner. It will be very difficult to not address the issues when the conversation is face to face. I'm not saying to go in screaming and complaining, go in with a solid foundation regarding the lack of support the dealership is providing....if you still feel wronged...call the BBB in Las Vegas or an Attorney.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Dyno Don
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options?

I have read many posts on this forum about various problems/solutions by dealerships all over the country. I have read none quit this ugly. You have a unique case in that your bike was damaged upon delivery back to you after all the heartache of getting the "new bike" issues handled by the dealer. Even I have a motorcycle trailer and I don't own a dealership. I own it because I have had to rescue my wife's Goldwing Trike more than once due to mechanical failure. For a dealership to not have appropriate transport equipment and skilled persons to fulfill that task is unforgivable.

In Washington State we have a lemon law. I have personal knowledge it has been used successfully for issues of mechanical failure/re-occurrence especially in dealing with inept dealers and their staffs. You may want to check and see if Nevada has such consumer protection laws and if it applies to this issue.

In the mean time you will be waiting for the stealer ship or H-D to rescue what is left of any future relationship they may wish to have with a long term patron.

I understand your anger and sympathize with you. I also hope you make a decision you can live with and you are made whole...Good Luck!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
I feel for ya man. Id be ticked off to. That being said, alot of people warned folks of first year model issues. Its pretty much the standard on any brand or product roll outs. Testing is still going on in the first year and the customer is the person doing the testing. I know this is easier said than done but sell it and find a 13 model and live happily ever after. i bought a 13 Ultra and zero issues so far. Most issues are worked out after 3 or 4 years. Good luck and hope everything smooths out so u can get to riding problem free.
^^ This

Never be the first to buy a newly designed model. Wait until they work out all the bugs.

Ideally, when you hear a manufacturer is introducing a new model, buy one of the discounted "last year's" editions.

Kudos to those guys who picked up a 2013 RoadGlide!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Steve Rice
Intermediate

One bad bike in 30 years and you bitch and whine like a little crybaby??? What..do you expect them to do, blow ya? EVERY company has lemons from time to time. Sell it and move to a jap bike if you hate Harley so much.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

If it was me, I'd have the dealer fix the damage and then go to another dealer and trade it in for an older model that is either new old stock or used and go ride.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM
14FLHTK
5th Gear

WOW! Thanks Steve you really put thing into perspective!

Last edited by 14FLHTK; 10-31-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM
SAFTFIRST
Cruiser

As I have posted on here, I "owned" my 14 FLHTK for 7 weeks but it spent more time at the dealer than in my house:
- persistent collant leaks - 3 different locations
- clutch recall.
I hear ya. Stay on them.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Rice
One bad bike in 30 years and you bitch and whine like a little crybaby??? What..do you expect them to do, blow ya? EVERY company has lemons from time to time. Sell it and move to a jap bike if you hate Harley so much.
It's always refreshing to see our neighbors from the North be so understanding in the challenges we face down here in the good old U S of A.

Quick Reply: Not happy with HD after 30 years