Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go Whole Hog?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Snort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go Whole Hog?

I get the bug every year to get a Harley and will usually talk myself out of it in a few weeks.
This year I've decided that I am definately getting one, and soon. I've been through the training class for beginners at the local college, have ridden dirt bikes as a kid, and some Honda street bikes as a teen and twenty year old.
I'm 44 yrs. old,6'2", 230lbs. and not fat. I operate some type of equipment almost daily (tractors, mowers etc., I'm in the landscape bus.)
The 250cc Yamaha that I rode in the class was so small that I think that I made it top heavy. My knees were way up the tank and my butt was pushed forward by the rear of the seat and I think my center of gravity was skewed. I was not very comfortable on it. I did great on the riding course and test and was usually chosen as the leader. A girl from the class said that I looked like I was on a mini-bike. The only problem I had on the course was the very slow manuevers in the box doing the figure 8's. I did them within the linesmore thanhalf the time and only had to put down a foot twice in maybe 10 attempts.
This has made me unsure of if I should jump to the Harley I want immediately or not. I thought that I would find a $10k Harley and just go with it as a learner but as I was looking, those are hard to find. I want to turn the key and go. I have to work on my Jeep and equipment all the time and I'm looking for an easy way to get away from all that.
What I've decided on is an '07RK Classic. The Heritage Softail also has my interest but only a test ride will let me decide.
My brother bought an '05Heritage Springer without having ridden much before and I know a good many others who have done the same. I truly believe that I have more ability and awareness than many of those guys had when they first started riding.
What I am concerned about is should I go with something intermediate or go whole Hog and get the new RK? Anything intermediate will still be a fullsize bike so I'm thinking, why waste the time and money only to trade in a few months or a year? I don't want to drop any bike but especially not a brand new one although I know it can and probably will happen.
Let me know what ya'll think.
I appreciate it.
RQ

Old 03-12-2007, 10:03 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Go Whole Hog?

It's important that you fit the bike and the bike fits you. With that said, get your dream bike right off the bat, you wont be happy with anything less. If your local dealer has a demo days, ride a couple that you are thinking about. If not rent them or try to talk them into test rides. Only you will be able to answer the question of what bike you love.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't wait any longer! First of all, the Harley will be a lot easier to ride than you think, particularly with your size. I made a long, slow, three-month survey of all the Harleys, rode several and landed on the Road King. Mine started as a Road King Classic, but I soon fell out of love with the leather saddlebags and made the $1000 conversion to hard bags - money well spent, but I wish I had started with the Road King and saved myself the extra money.

As with anything else, if you compromise now with an "intermediate" bike you will constantly be looking towards the finish line and will quickly regret not making that purchase to begin with. I recommend buying your "second" bike first and save yourself some money.

I particularly like Harley's touring line. The bikes have great style (the Street Glide and Road King series are particularly pleasing to my eye!), and fit my riding style perfectly. I use my bike every non-rainy day to commute 80 miles round trip, and the saddlebags are important to me. I don't do much overnight travel, but the ability to easily carry an extra jacket, rainsuit, briefcase, and items picked up at the store is important. The abbreviated windshield of the Road Kings offers a great cruiser style, good coverage, and doesn't cost you any of the view of the road. On the other hand, all winter long I was wondering if the batwing fairing on the Street Glide et al would have kept me warmer on those 30 degree mornings. I'm currently researching aftermarket fairings for the winter. My next bike - if there ever is one - would probably be a Street Glide.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wahl, ah'm probably gonna git blasted here, but what the heck...<G>

Wuz it me, ah'd go fer a 2-3 year old 750, preferably sumthin' lahk a Honda Shadow. They can be had relatively cheaply, are cheap ta insure an' hold their value. Chance are that you'll either lay it down or sumthin' a time or two in the first year - so fer me, it makes sense to do it on sumthin' easy ta repair or walk away from.

When ah got back into bikes heavily back in '96, that's exactly what ah did - ah'd ridden off and on, an' always had one in the garage, but lahk you ah wuz tired of havin' ta wrench on the old stuff. Rode that bike fer 3 weeks, puttin' 3,000 miles on it - an' sold it an' bought a brand new Goldwing. Spent the next 11 years on Wings, puttin' on quite a few miles ('bout 200k), an' last November finally bought an '07 UC. No regrets on any of it - 'cept mebbe fer waitin' so long ta git mah HD. Issues w/Honda build quality are what ultimately led ta me movin' over to the HD, an' now ah wish ah'd have done it sooner!<G>

Mah youngest boy got into bikes 'bout 4 -5 years ago, an' ah helped him find a cherry li'l '95 Shadow what had less than 11k miles on it that he stole fer 'bout $1,200. Three years an' 30,000 miles later, he sold that fer almost $2,000, an' bought him a VTX1300. Now, after graduating from the local Police Academy, he's countin' time until he gits hired on full-time at a department, an' then he plans ta buy him a HD LEO edition.... He laid that Shadow down twice, once when he nailed a huge chunk of concrete on a curve that took out both tires an' rims - an' his insurance settlement not only fixed the bike w/used rims, but gave him a nice chunk o' change ta use as a down payment on the VTX.

It's obviously up ta you, but ya asked fer opinions - an' ya got mine!

[IMG]local://upfiles/19857/BB6626EA855540D2A57A9E3A074D17D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2007, 10:20 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior

I hadn't ridden in 19 years, and went whole hog, and bought an Ultra a few years back. Haven't had any problems, but I had ridden for about 8 years before setting it aside for awhile. Going whole hog ain't a bad way to go. Get what you want, and get used to it. DON'T try the box with it. Do some parking lot riding and get used to how it turns. The box is too slow, and the bike will be VERY heavy for you in the slow riding. Get a feel for it, and the balance. Get some experience on country roads, away from traffic.

You probably won't be able to rent one, with your limited experience. That would be the best way to see what fits you. I have riden several models, and have my own personal observations. The RK Classic seemed heavy in the front, and slow steering/maneuvering. I liked the Road King Custom better. My wife has a Deluxe, and I LOVE the way it handles. It is SO EASY, it almost rides itself! My Ultra is easy to handle. Sounds crazy, but I've been in the SMALL box with it, and did OK. Last October, I rented a StreetGlide for 3 days. HAD A BLAST!!! VERY easy to handle. Very smooth.

These are just a few of my personal impressions, on bikes that I have experience with. The Fatboy could also be a good bike to start out with. So many choices, and there really isn't a bad choice. Sit on all of them. Get someone to hold the handlebars for you, and get your feet up on the pegs/floorboards. See what it feels like in a TRUE riding position, not just sitting still with your feet on the floor.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Previous to my purchase, I'd ridden less than you. In June 2005 at 52 years old I bought an new RK Classic. Sunday, I hit 30,000 miles and about 100,000 smiles, it's been absolutely amazing. I haven't looked back once, no regrets other than waiting so long to do it. If you have taken the MSF course and ride intelligently you'll be fine. Go for it.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:04 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go ahead and buy it. I heard somewhere that if you hold the urge in too long your butthole explodes, or something like that[:'(]. You will do fine.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Get the bike of your dreams. You will not regret it.

If you buy a smaller bike and ride it for a few days, you will have already out grown it.

When you get your new Harley, go to a deserted parking lot and practice strarting and stopping. Practice turns. Practice stopping in the parking spaces before going over the end line. In other words, get familiar with your ride in a safe and non threatening atmosphere. If you first ride is to the Spring Sale at Mervyn's on a Saturday morning, you are asking for the unexpected to happen big time.

Get the video "Ride Like A Pro." It is great for how to handle a heavy bike in a slow condition. Money well spent. www.ridelikeapro.com

Old 03-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Detro996
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RQ

I get the bug every year to get a Harley and will usually talk myself out of it in a few weeks.
This year I've decided that I am definately getting one, and soon. I've been through the training class for beginners at the local college, have ridden dirt bikes as a kid, and some Honda street bikes as a teen and twenty year old.
I'm 44 yrs. old,6'2", 230lbs. and not fat. I operate some type of equipment almost daily (tractors, mowers etc., I'm in the landscape bus.)
The 250cc Yamaha that I rode in the class was so small that I think that I made it top heavy. My knees were way up the tank and my butt was pushed forward by the rear of the seat and I think my center of gravity was skewed. I was not very comfortable on it. I did great on the riding course and test and was usually chosen as the leader. A girl from the class said that I looked like I was on a mini-bike. The only problem I had on the course was the very slow manuevers in the box doing the figure 8's. I did them within the linesmore thanhalf the time and only had to put down a foot twice in maybe 10 attempts.
This has made me unsure of if I should jump to the Harley I want immediately or not. I thought that I would find a $10k Harley and just go with it as a learner but as I was looking, those are hard to find. I want to turn the key and go. I have to work on my Jeep and equipment all the time and I'm looking for an easy way to get away from all that.
What I've decided on is an '07RK Classic. The Heritage Softail also has my interest but only a test ride will let me decide.
My brother bought an '05Heritage Springer without having ridden much before and I know a good many others who have done the same. I truly believe that I have more ability and awareness than many of those guys had when they first started riding.
What I am concerned about is should I go with something intermediate or go whole Hog and get the new RK? Anything intermediate will still be a fullsize bike so I'm thinking, why waste the time and money only to trade in a few months or a year? I don't want to drop any bike but especially not a brand new one although I know it can and probably will happen.
Let me know what ya'll think.
I appreciate it.
RQ
The problem with a beginnner bike is shortly after you start riding you find that you are no longer a beginner. As far as balance and parking lot maneuvers you seem to have the height and probably the strenght to put a foot down on an awkward stop. You will get better at this everytime you ride. 44 years old, buy what you have your heart set on. If you were asking should I start with a GSXR1000 or GSXR 600 as a beginnerI'd have a completely different answer.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior

I used to ride dirt bikes in my teens and early 20's. Now I'm 48. Had never riddin on the street till about 3 years ago. I started with a Volusia 800cc. From there I went to a 1800cc VTX. Now I've got the Streetglide.

It was a little awkward at first on the Volusia, and I did practice in an empty parking lot for a while, as has been suggested. It wasn't long before I got comfortable and it was a sweet handling bike, much better than the VTX. The Streetglide also handles great.

It would not have been any harder to get used to riding on the SG than it was on the Volusia and I could have saved a lot of money by going with the Harley first.

If you can afford it, (thats really all that held me back)get the bike you want.Just take it slow and ride within your comfort zone.

Quick Reply: Go Whole Hog?