Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013 | 08:48 AM
Tulsa Rambler
|
Advanced
Default Brake Rotors

Let me ask if any of you guys have had worped break rotors covered under the extended warranty. We just got a new service manager at the dealership - the old guy had been there 20 years and was my bud - so when i ask about the them being covered - all three are worped he just said "they are a wear itema and not covered" understand brakes are a ware item but to me worped is not wear. Ideas?

Old 10-30-2013 | 09:44 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Never had that come up with dealer. But seems the dealer could find a way to make it happen would think.

Old 10-30-2013 | 10:00 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Warped rotors aren't usually due to a manufacturing defect. Brake heat cycles/usage and using them as fulcrums for prying back the pads and pistons during service are the usual culprits. Unless you could show me they were manufactured wrapped, I'd say no to getting them replaced under warranty too. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Old 10-30-2013 | 10:19 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
Warped rotors aren't usually due to a manufacturing defect. Brake heat cycles/usage and using them as fulcrums for prying back the pads and pistons during service are the usual culprits. Unless you could show me they were manufactured wrapped, I'd say no to getting them replaced under warranty too. Just my opinion, YMMV.
I dont know about *extended* warranty, but a runout spec *does* exist (.08), my dealer would have been happy to replace them under the standard warranty if they were out of spec.

He was also happy to charge me $45 (.5 hr) to check them because they were not out of spec (barely)

So I dont know if there's a difference in coverage between standard warranty and extended service contract on this issue.

Old 10-30-2013 | 12:18 PM
keith t
Tourer

I had mine replaced on the ESP. The dealer shop initially told me they didn't do warped rotors but I had read here some do. So I called HD and they said there was a runout spec and a thickness spec that if both were met they would replace. I knew mine were beyond the runout by checking at home before I brought the bike in. The run out has been mentioned, sorry I don't remember the thickness spec. It was my second set of stockers, the first ones I bought and put on, so I went with HD floaters. So far so good since this last summer and about 4K miles or so.

Old 10-30-2013 | 01:47 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I dont know about *extended* warranty, but a runout spec *does* exist (.08), my dealer would have been happy to replace them under the standard warranty if they were out of spec.

He was also happy to charge me $45 (.5 hr) to check them because they were not out of spec (barely)

So I dont know if there's a difference in coverage between standard warranty and extended service contract on this issue.

Yep, that's an example of a manufacturing defect and they should be replaced. But I'd think you'd be complaining pretty soon after buying the bike or installing the rotor.

Old 10-30-2013 | 02:16 PM
VandalENG
Advanced

Had mine replaced twice, once under standard warrantee and second time under the ESP + $50. Dealer handled it no questions asked.

Old 10-30-2013 | 03:09 PM
Tulsa Rambler
|
Advanced

Keith, who at HD did you talk to? and as you can see i am also in Tulsa - what dealer did you use?

Old 10-30-2013 | 03:47 PM
keith t
Tourer

Tulsa Rambler
Rt 66, I talked to three of the service guys, only recall Randall's name
good luck

Old 10-30-2013 | 05:02 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

I had one warped rotor replaced under warranty. It was right at the limit of .008.

I had another used rotor I had bought that was out .020. A crescent wrench and dial indicator restored it to within .0035 and it's been on the bike performing well for a few thousand miles now.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors