Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment and displaying text messages

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Infotainment and displaying text messages

I have an IPhone 5 and ATT as service provider. I did a lot of searching on here and was able to connect my phone via Bluetooth but was getting the sync error when I went into SMS messages and clicked on the inbox. I changed a few settings in my phone and now everything syncs fine but I still do not get texts on the infotainment center and if I go to in box it is just blank or 0 messages. Has anyone figured out what is needed to make this feature work with the iPhone 5 and ATT? I've told the wife and kids if I'm out on the bike and it's an emergency to text me with the words emergency thinking it would show up on he display and I would know to pull over quickly and call them back.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:29 PM
mp535th
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunno. Mine wont receive texts also. Some on here have gotten it to work but I havent. Just do a search on here, they are out there.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:30 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts

Turn off Imessage and turn on sms on your phone. The text will NOT show up on the screen while you are moving. You will see an icon at the bottom so you know you have a text ( with an alert sound you set). Must be stationary to view the message inbox. On the other hand an incoming call WILL show up on the screen. Can be answered if wearing headset. Perhaps have them call twice in a row if an emergency and you don't want to wear the headset.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

I searched but only found a few post on the subject and they were still hit or miss. Just wondering if anyone with my carrier and phone type were able to get it to work correctly. Seems like a great feature if used responsibly. With one word I would know if I need to pull over immediately or not.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sat4314
Turn off Imessage and turn on sms on your phone. The text will NOT show up on the screen while you are moving. You will see an icon at the bottom so you know you have a text ( with an alert sound you set). Must be stationary to view the message inbox. On the other hand an incoming call WILL show up on the screen. Can be answered if wearing headset. Perhaps have them call twice in a row if an emergency and you don't want to wear the headset.
Ok that's good to know. I made the changes you suggested and I no longer get the error but text are not showing up with the bike in the accessory position let alone moving...lol... Do you have ATT and an iPhone 5?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:54 PM
mp535th
Tourer

Ive turned imessage off then back on and off again. It just will not work for me. I am also sitting in the garage with the bike not moving............

Old 10-29-2013, 04:30 PM
hinkdad
Stage II

Check out the phone compatibility matrix. I have a feeling is has something to do with the IOS version.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...atibility.html

Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM
mp535th
Tourer

I f it ever works great. The rest of it works so Im good. Will just tell the wife if im riding to call 3 times back to back if emergency then i know to pull over...

Old 10-30-2013, 06:42 AM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts
Default text

Originally Posted by mp535th
Ive turned imessage off then back on and off again. It just will not work for me. I am also sitting in the garage with the bike not moving............
did you enable sms messages on the 6.5 on your bike? I am using Iphone 4 with the 7.03 ios upgrade. My Galaxy S3 works fine on the bike but Apple may still have a bug on their end with the 5. Just guessing on that one. My Iphone 4 will give an audible alert and at the botton of the 6.5 screen I then see a small box that alerts me I have a message in my inbox. Maybe unpair the phone and do all over again. It took me two times doing that with a clear signal outside to get it to work. Has worked fine ever since.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sat4314
did you enable sms messages on the 6.5 on your bike? I am using Iphone 4 with the 7.03 ios upgrade. My Galaxy S3 works fine on the bike but Apple may still have a bug on their end with the 5. Just guessing on that one. My Iphone 4 will give an audible alert and at the botton of the 6.5 screen I then see a small box that alerts me I have a message in my inbox. Maybe unpair the phone and do all over again. It took me two times doing that with a clear signal outside to get it to work. Has worked fine ever since.
Thanks for info. I have Iphone 4 & have not been able to get text message feature work. I'll try your suggestion.

Quick Reply: Infotainment and displaying text messages