Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads up 2012FLHX jiffy stand bolt sheared

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM
CGP93
Tourer
Location: Orig Surfers Paradise Australia, then Riyadh Saudi Arabia, Tokyo, Toronto, now So Cal
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I always park my bike in gear on the jiffy stand, however I do let it warm up in neutral on the stand..... do you think that there's a chance it would sheer off this bolt in this case??

Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 17,082 Likes on 8,673 Posts

Originally Posted by gs34doc
I'm betting the bolt was loose....allowing for some additional play, which will put additional force on the bolt.
That is a regular check for me at every oil change....Inspect the stand and retorque the bolt.
That's a shame for your experience, and I hope your bike wasn't damaged.
That`s something I never thought of. I`ll check mine too.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Congrats. First time I've heard of this on the forum since way back.

I don't think it's under-engineered since you're the lucky first - or something, I dunno.

lp

Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's not a common issue so I'm thinking this particular bolt was defective! We would see more posts like this if it was a common issue.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

The picture tells the story. The square boss sheared off the stand rod. The bolt failure, I would bet, happened after the boss failure. How steep an incline do you normally park on? That didn't happen from the direct weight of the machine, that was from a twisting force. Do you let the stand stop the bike while it is rolling forward or backward as you park it? Either the boss was weak or there has been repeated abuse (not intentional, I'm certain). After the boss failed, a rough surface would act like a cam and stretch the bolt with each twist of the two facing pieces until the bolt snapped. Just my humble opinion.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 PM
sycle1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It didn't give any warning I just put it on the stand and bang over she went.
The driveway next to the gate is probably a 7 degree incline not steep.
I don't get it, if this was engineered to take the weight of the bike this shouldn't happen! no matter what incline surely.
I suppose the jiffy stands are made in China now!
I have to take it in to show them to see if they reckon it is warranty! won't even make sure there is a stand in stock before hand.
They make it difficult!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

looks like it wasn't heat treated correctly, and being made in china don't help none either.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 PM
jbielec
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first Harley and I told dealer after first month the stand was messed up. they said couple times its a Harley dont U worry.

Well My Bolt was loose as hell after the second month when I checked it.
I think its a issue no matter what. shitty set up...

Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Story: Riding with two friends going up an incline to a stop and the rider behind me dropped his RK, the third rider left his bike (RK) on the sidestand to help #2 pick up his bike. While he was doing that his bike was inching backwards down hill on its own . Nothing got damaged and the bike remained upright . There had to be a lot of twist force on the sidestand tab but it hasn't broken and that was years ago. I believe it was a heat treating problem on your bike.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default reworked the locking tab

i didnt like the way my stand pointed towards to back of the bike, figured this was putting too much of a twisting action on the square head of the jiffy stand and figured one day the top would be twisted off. i did go back the dealer and complained thinking the top of the stand was twisted. they said nothing was wrong with it. my 2003 pointed a bit to the back but nothing like my 2009 did. So after getting no where with my dealer I bought another locking tab and took it to work and welded more metal on the front side( front wheel side) then machined it square to make it look like the was no weld on it. then machined off some material on the back side so it was the original starting width again.this allowed the stand to rotate so it is now a few degrees forward of the stand being 90 degrees to the bike. no more ratchet twisty stand. I had it powder coated ,supposed I could have paid a fortune to have the tiny piece chromed somewhere but since a friend was getting his rims powder coated he took my jiffy tab with him.

Quick Reply: Heads up 2012FLHX jiffy stand bolt sheared