Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help... Misfire under normal acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 AM
RoamingCoastie
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help... Misfire under normal acceleration

Replaced wires with stock and replaced plugs with SE high compression(colder?) plugs two weeks ago. Bikes been running fine.
Changed oil yesterday with mobile1 20-50 and a Harley filter. After changing the oil the wife and I put about 300 highway miles on it. I immidiately noticed the oil pressure was much higher than usual but bike ran fine.
Came home and washed it last night.
This morning I hopped on it and it started and died. Started it back up and left th house. Under normal acceleration it spits and sputters and sounds like crap. If I rip on it and open her up it runs fine. But as soon as you get back to normal driving it's crap.
The temps here in Alabama have started to drop a little. Could it be my plugs?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:39 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I would be inclined to think that changing plugs will get you an immediate notable change in performance, however, if you didn't remap the ignition the plugs may have been building up crud as you rode. If you pull them you might find that they have a build up of carbon seeing as you installed a colder plug.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:52 PM
porschemann
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What did you gap your plug to? You did gap them right, and not just stick them in out of the box...

Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the ion sensor is easily confused by "performance" plugs and wires- I stick with the stock spec- there is no advantage in another style plug as there might be with an older ignition system.

but this seems more related to the washing- water somewhere or an electrical plug knocked loose.

do a visual inspecton

mike

Old 10-28-2013, 01:07 PM
RoamingCoastie
Cruiser

Thanks y'all. I gapped the plugs at .38 and the bike is pretty damn dry. I'm gonna pull the plugs on my break and check them out. I'm really hopin that it's just the plugs. I haven't noticed any increase with the snake oil plugs. I've got the old plugs on the bench. If I throw those in and it runs fine I'll know what it is I guess

Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 PM
RoamingCoastie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the ion sensor is easily confused by "performance" plugs and wires- I stick with the stock spec- there is no advantage in another style plug as there might be with an older ignition system. but this seems more related to the washing- water somewhere or an electrical plug knocked loose. do a visual inspecton mike
So I went home and threw the old plugs in, some autolite 4164s. Took her for a rip and ran like a champ... The weird thing is, the new plugs I took out look perfect.... Maybe yer right about that ion sensor