Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of the Clunk when starting an 07

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:35 PM
davidoldfordfan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of the Clunk when starting an 07

I had noticed a sort of clunk almost like a kick back when starting my new 07 FLTRI. Didn't think much of it until Saturday night. It didn't start and after the CLUNK I hit the starter again and it made some awful noise and did not start.
Hit the button a few more times and it started right up. Took it to the dealer the next morning and it did the same think in their shop. They took the starter off and all of the teeth were ground down to nothing. Then they pulled the primary and the ring gear only had about 1/2 the teeth on it. Looks like everytime I started the bike it would take a tooth or two off. In addition, the teeth got everywhere, in the clutch the chain, basically destroyed the drive side of the bike. The general manager of the store and all of the Techs gathered around in disbelief, saying the CLUNKING is what caused this. The bike only has 600 miles on it.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:47 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Beware of the Clunk when starting an 07

Wow! What a bummer.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:04 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What was the build date?
Right before the strike?
Just wondering!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:10 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a problem from the start (no pun intended) or from the way the bike was originally put together. Let us know if you find out anymore.

Peace,

Old 03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back in the ole AMF days, when the auto timing retard hung up, it would tear up the starter gear. basicallythe engine would fire before top center and try to run back wards and tear stuff up. going even further, inthe kick start days it would either break you ankle or throw you over the bike.

no idea today, how the auto retard works, but again back in the seventies, what yourmechanic found wouldn't have drawn a group of amazed techs, but rather a shrug.

regardless, something ain't klicking.............

Old 03-12-2007, 12:18 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us posted.

I'm sure we have all been told the "Clunk" is normal....I hope you haveanother issue,something with the starter drive not kicking in all the way and its not related to the clunk.Seemswe would have heard from more by now if it was a designflaw or directly related to the clunk.Besides I thougtthe "clunk" was a result of take up in the primary chain due to the clutch driving the motor, not starter engagement?

May be a good time to get that inner Chrome Primary as long as they are tearing it a part...should be able to get a good deal on labor .

Old 03-12-2007, 12:55 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The clunk is not starter related, its the comp making the noise. Yours is just a defective part and the only one Ive ever heard of do it. Not a 07 issue, just a your bike issue. Once fixed it will be fine Im sure.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:09 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Does/did yours fall into the 0903 torque smoothing update? I wonder if the timing change helped the starting.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,488 Likes on 4,381 Posts

I agree... sounds like metallurgy or heat treating or tolerance or fit defect. They really need to sanitize replace all the components, bearings and such of any fine-metal pieces... a good dealer will.
ORIGINAL: gunrunner

The clunk is not starter related, its the comp making the noise. Yours is just a defective part and the only one Ive ever heard of do it. Not a 07 issue, just a your bike issue. Once fixed it will be fine Im sure.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:08 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yours isnt the first,your dealer will take care of it.

Quick Reply: Beware of the Clunk when starting an 07