Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Process of recovering stolen bike parts (from a GTA cop).

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013 | 04:26 PM
Rucker00
|
Cruiser
Default Process of recovering stolen bike parts (from a GTA cop).

I found this interesting. Bottom line up front: mark your bags some how and don't forget to tell the cops about the markings if you file a police report.

Quick disclaimer: I'm not paranoid about people taking my stuff, but I would love to help the cops find thieves anyway I can and make it easier on me if my $h*t gets stolen, like some guys on this forum. Also, I'm aware that certain policies vary from department to department, but doing this couldn't hurt and I'm not about to read every law enforcement policy who's state, county, city I ride through.

I was talking to my cousin last night who is a grand theft auto cop. He recently made a big bust on a chop shop. I asked him what the department does with the parts after all the legal stuff is done (evidence reasons for the court case). He told me that unless the department can identify in some way that those parts actually belong to the person who files the police report, the department cannot release the parts back to it's owner. He said something like a VIN etched into a part or some other identifiable marking, as simple as your initials, that you mention in your police report will be enough reason to release the property.

My next question was about stolen saddle bags or parts off of a bike. He said it's the same policy. He gave the scenario that if two guys had vivid black bags and their saddle bags were stolen, but the cops only found one set, who are they supposed to give that set back to? The answer, is nobody, unless there is an identifiable feature that sets it apart. He also said that if you have a custom paint job or a unique color, then they'll probably will release the parts, but not always.

I have the Burkus locks on my bags, but I'll still mark the seat, side panels and anything else that is quick and easy to take off. Nothing too crazy, just initials with a sharpy in a spot that is not easy to see unless you know to look there. It might be worth it in the event that some a$$ho1e thinks they can make a quick buck off of your bike.

Safe riding...cheers.

Old 10-25-2013 | 04:39 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

In the 60's many police departments had engraving tools to loan out. It was for marking your car parts such as rims. The recommended marking was your drivers license number as any department in the country could look it up. I always added "stolen from".

Now I don't even insure the bikes and accessories let alone mark them. I have gotten lazy and complacent.

But it is a very worth while practice.

Old 10-25-2013 | 05:29 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Dang, never thought of that. I know the Porsche factory etches the VINs on most parts of the car, but just never crossed my mind to do the same to my bike. I got a Dremel and bit. Shouldn't be too hard to etch my driver's license or SSN on them. Another good project on a rainy day.

Old 10-25-2013 | 06:39 PM
Guitardude
Club Member

Might want to etch the VIN and make/model, that way if you trade/sell the bike and the parts get stolen, they trace back to the current owner and not you.

Old 10-25-2013 | 08:16 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guitardude
Might want to etch the VIN and make/model, that way if you trade/sell the bike and the parts get stolen, they trace back to the current owner and not you.
My thoughts as well. Put your drivers license # on something, sell it, it get's stolen, and you're back in the middle again.

Old 10-25-2013 | 08:20 PM
Guitardude
Club Member

Originally Posted by Deucedog
My thoughts as well. Put your drivers license # on something, sell it, it get's stolen, and you're back in the middle again.
Yep. Buddy marked all his guns that way, he ended up trading one of his pistols that years later ended up getting stolen. Thief robbed a bank and killed a clerk, got away but ditched the gun. Guess whose door the FBI came beating on...in full swat gear.

Not that anyone would jack a bike part and then beat someone to death with it

Old 10-26-2013 | 07:37 PM
nopetrol
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
Dang, never thought of that. I know the Porsche factory etches the VINs on most parts of the car, but just never crossed my mind to do the same to my bike. I got a Dremel and bit. Shouldn't be too hard to etch my driver's license or SSN on them. Another good project on a rainy day.
Don't use your SSN. Not the best idea. VIN much better.

Sharpie comes right off. Get a cheap engraver from Harbor Freight.

Old 10-26-2013 | 09:07 PM
fj1200
Tourer

The Winchester, VA Harley dealer works with the Winchester Sheriff's Office and the Virginia State Police to allow owners to register their motorcycles and get a set of TESA stickers for each vehicle which have the vehicle VIN in the sticker. You get enough stickers to you can place one on every detachable back rest, luggage rack, saddle bag, and seat.

Old 10-26-2013 | 09:24 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fj1200
The Winchester, VA Harley dealer works with the Winchester Sheriff's Office and the Virginia State Police to allow owners to register their motorcycles and get a set of TESA stickers for each vehicle which have the vehicle VIN in the sticker. You get enough stickers to you can place one on every detachable back rest, luggage rack, saddle bag, and seat.
Tesa stickers? Wouldn't they be easily removed?

Old 10-27-2013 | 03:01 PM
fj1200
Tourer

Originally Posted by traildog
Tesa stickers? Wouldn't they be easily removed?
According to the information that I received with the stickers: "All TESA stickers, once placed, will chemically bond with the surface. They can be removed; however, a footprint will remain that can be read by law enforcement."