Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent connection issue with rider's headset

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 PM
UltraDave
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent connection issue with rider's headset

I find the forum useful when researching issues I encounter with my scoot. It really helps to read about solutions others have come up with to address the occasional problem you may have with your bike.

Thought I'd share a problem I had with the rider's headset on my 2007 Ultra.

Symptoms:
- While riding the headset would fade away at times and then return. It happened while listen to the radio, CD, or satellite radio.
- Wife complained that my voice sounded very far away at times when using the intercom.
- Riders on other bikes with CB said it was difficult to hear me at times.
- All of the above would come and go and went on for several months. Sometimes all worked well and other times not so much.
- Passenger headset work fine all the time.

Corrective Actions
- Tested headsets and determined there were working.
- Took the bike to the dealer and were unable to 'reproduce' the problem. They put some dielectric grease on the headset connector and said to call them if it happened again. Left the dealership and the problem started up 2 miles down the road. Decided to figure it out on my own.
- Began troubleshooting and discovered the issue was reproducible when you pressed on the seat in certain spots where the rider sits.
- Looked up the interconnections in the wiring diagram and found there is a connector for the rider's headset under the seat.
- Removed the seat and disconnected the connector. Reconnected and problem went away.
- Cleaned the contacts, applied dielectric grease to the connector, reassembled, and retested the headset. Worked as expected.

I've put on about 500 miles and it is working solidly.

Hope this helps someone else that may have an intermittent problem with their headset.