Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Your Local Dealer Good Or Bad???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013 | 09:01 PM
LilWick
Cruiser

growing up we did most of our own maintenance on our vehicles unless it was out of our skill range, which meant it had to be major body work or weld repairs. My father was very good about spending his money locally. He made sure he bought what he could from the local parts stores and when he did need their help, they were more than willing to help and treat him right on the price. I learned a valuable lesson from that. Yes you can always find a better deal, saving a few dollars here and there, but at the end of the day, its the relationship you have with the people that makes the difference when the crap hits the fan.

Old 10-23-2013 | 09:27 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member

Let's put it this way. My local dealer is 3 miles away. There are two other dealers each about 15 miles from me. They get all my business.

Old 10-23-2013 | 09:34 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I live 70 miles from 2. The one in Dallas is the one I use. And yes, they're a "good" one in my eyes. When my compensator went out, they came and got my bike. When if was finished, they came and got me, so I could ride it back home.

Dallas HD.

Old 10-23-2013 | 09:47 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer

5 stators in a year at a whole lot of money, on the last one they said we found the problem. needed a screw for windshield trim. would not sell a screw wanted me to buy new trim. needed locks for saddle bad on '92 bike. claimed could not get them bike too old. same lock fits 2013 and below tour pack.
I have no use for a harley shop.

Old 10-23-2013 | 09:55 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

There are two dealers in Tulsa and I like both. I have purchased new bikes and parts from both, no issues.

Old 10-24-2013 | 05:33 AM
chainsaw123
Tourer

Are you asking about the clothing boutique where I happened to buy a motorcycle at? All of that places clothing is wayyy too expensive. Made in china, Indonesia or some third world country by a 10 year old. No, only go back on rare occasion to look.

Old 10-24-2013 | 05:43 AM
fissco1234
Road Master

Originally Posted by LilWick
growing up we did most of our own maintenance on our vehicles unless it was out of our skill range, which meant it had to be major body work or weld repairs. My father was very good about spending his money locally. He made sure he bought what he could from the local parts stores and when he did need their help, they were more than willing to help and treat him right on the price. I learned a valuable lesson from that. Yes you can always find a better deal, saving a few dollars here and there, but at the end of the day, its the relationship you have with the people that makes the difference when the crap hits the fan.
We speak the same language my friend. We buy the product, the dealership helps us to maintain the product. They don't design it, engineer it or build it. I respect their knowledge, they respect my business. Hot Rod Harley Davidson in Muskegon, MI could put on a clinic to other dealerships and businesses in the area in regards to customer service, overall friendliness and giving back to the local community. But why would they want to? You can't teach those who don't wish to learn.

Old 10-24-2013 | 05:57 AM
Meathook
Cruiser

I started with Harley dealers in 1969. I stayed with that particular dealership (three generations of family) until 2009 when they would not deal on a new bike - I bought from another dealership that had been in business since the 1960's (also three generations). but about 60 miles away. No complaints about either other than a 40-year customer not getting a break on price from the former.

My experience is that "old school" dealerships are far better than "new" dealerships that have started since the boom in Harley sales. Seems like the "new" dealerships are interested in only selling bikes, but the "old school" ones are interested in retaining customers and building their business. These are dealerships that are have remained in the same family ownership all those years.

Mostly, I spin my own wrenches - pretty much use the dealer for 50,000 mile rebuilds and parts.

I know, broad brush, but that's been my experience.

My former dealership has now sold and almost the whole staff turned over. This from looking at their web site. I haven't been back since they wanted MSRP and setup, etc. on the new bike.

Meathook: out

Old 10-24-2013 | 06:01 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

An individual's dealership experience is usually directly proportional to that individual's attitude going in. I've toured the country more than once, have visited over 100 dealers, have had work done at several around the country and can honestly say, I've never had a bad dealership experience. I've chuckled at price differences I've seen (1 dealer has bike for MSRP, 100 miles away and same bike is 2k over MSRP) but if people are willing to pay it, they will continue to sell them... it's called "business".

Old 10-24-2013 | 06:53 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

I have been dealing with the same dealer, Rommel Harley (used to be Mike's Famous) in Smyrna DE for almost 10 years. They have always gave me good deals. I have never paid MSRP and have paid as low as $3500 under. Service has always taken care of any issue I have. I request the same mechanic work on my bike every time. That keeps me coming back. They used to have a pretty bad rap because they were one of those dealers that charged way over MSRP. But that was with the previous owner. It is always a pleasant experience going in there. Pretty much everyone knows me by name and I can stop by if I am bored on a rainy day just to shoot the chit about nothing in particular.

Quick Reply: Is Your Local Dealer Good Or Bad???