Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio system for 08 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM
pylesbs
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio system for 08 Street Glide

Hi guys, New here on forums. Wanting to update my audio system from factory. Any ideas out there? I have been looking at biketronics with upgrades but wondering if anything else out there comparible.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:13 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Take a look in the tech section under audio of this forum. Lots of info on putting a system together. I have the stock head unit but powering 4 Polk Audio speakers (2 6.5" in the fairing and 2 6x9" in saddle bag lids) with a SoundStream 4.520 amp. Learned a lot reading the audio group in this forum.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM
mp535th
Tourer

ANd welcome...

Old 10-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Brian W
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the year of the bike? Different systems are made for the models 98-05 and 06-13

Old 10-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Brian W
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I saw the model. 2008 FLHX. If you are replacing the head unit then the Biketronics system will be want I recommend.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM
bspencer
Cruiser

I have the JM Rocker 250 watt Amp if you are interested in that.

Bspencer

Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM
pylesbs
Stage III

Originally Posted by Brian W
Sorry, I saw the model. 2008 FLHX. If you are replacing the head unit then the Biketronics system will be want I recommend.

Yea- replacing the whole thing. Want more power and ipod hood up with stock controls. I like the Biketronics with upgrade speakers and head unit but was wanting to see what else was out there to compare.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Yes, check out the audio section! Pick a head unit with the features ya want. Don't limit yourself to Sony or what's on the biketronics site. Polk mm651 and biketronics 7.1 speakers seem to be the current favorites. Rockford-fosgate pbr 2 channel workes great for two speaker setups. Good luck!!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do your research, go to a bike night to see what other guys have in their bikes before you buy, I changed mine twice in my limited. I run the following on my limited:

2 6" RFG PUNCH in the Fairing
2 7" RFG PUNCH in the lowers
2 5 1/2" RFG PUNCH on the tour pack
2 6x9 RFG PUCNH in the lids
1 300 RFG amp in the fairing
1 300 RFG amp in the tourpack
1 Hog tunes tweeter bar color matched.
Stock HK head unit

Before this set up I went with HOG TUNES, not to my liking but great service. THis system rocks!!! Take you time do your home work and if need be save your money for something you know will kick ***, or not, but either way good luck and ride safe.

Attached Thumbnails Audio system for 08 Street Glide-5-and-half-pucntour-packs.jpg   Audio system for 08 Street Glide-rfg-300-under-the-tour-pack.jpg   Audio system for 08 Street Glide-custom-made-adapter-for-the-speaker-s.jpg   Audio system for 08 Street Glide-6x9-s-punch.jpg  
Old 10-23-2013, 10:46 PM
bent trix
Tourer

Originally Posted by Timmy B
Do your research, go to a bike night to see what other guys have in their bikes before you buy, I changed mine twice in my limited. I run the following on my limited:

2 6" RFG PUNCH in the Fairing
2 7" RFG PUNCH in the lowers
2 5 1/2" RFG PUNCH on the tour pack
2 6x9 RFG PUCNH in the lids
1 300 RFG amp in the fairing
1 300 RFG amp in the tourpack
1 Hog tunes tweeter bar color matched.
Stock HK head unit

Before this set up I went with HOG TUNES, not to my liking but great service. THis system rocks!!! Take you time do your home work and if need be save your money for something you know will kick ***, or not, but either way good luck and ride safe.

That's pretty cool. I created (pretty much) this same system. I went a little crazy on the speakers though. I used the T3652 speakers in the holes. I also buried both of the amps inside the fairing. You're right, though. This system rocks. I also pulled the stock head unit and went aftermarket, only because I wanted Bluetooth and MP3. I also used a power FM antenna buried in the fairing.

Tim, a suggestion, find a local stereo shop with a router table and ask them to make a couple black plastic trim rings that lay between the glove box and the speaker... It'll look much betta! With a table they can cut you a couple in no time.

Pylesbs, any "high-end" stereo shop will have the programmer to program the bar control module. The module's are cheap, buying the programmer are a couple hundred - so it's beneficial to buy the head unit and the module from the same shop, work a deal to have the program the module to the head. PM BSPENCER about the amp he has and look at the Rockford Fosgate T1652 they kickass and are reasonably prices. Fit the tweeters into a couple of gauge spots, or cut them into the inner fairing with a holesaw.

Trust me dude! I studied this stuff for months. My stereo is stupid loud, that's what I wanted because I have always used earplugs when I ride.

TIP: Mount the amp to a small piece of perforated sheet metal (just larger than the amp) Use 4 little black "steel stud" screws to mount to plate. Doing this will create a ton of mounting holes. Much easier to mount than using 4 screw holes on the amp.

A hot glue gun can be used to secure the crossovers. I mounted mine under the speaker.. I cant remember which side though. Not that it really matters. Move the wiring out of the way to get the crossover up against the inner fairing and glue it.

Another TIP: If you don't feel comfortable doing the install pay a high-end stereo shop a 200 bucks to do the install. Be sure to ask for a portfolio before dropping off your bike, though. I would NOT advise using hack stereo shops like Sound Emporium or Audio Express. Or any Stereo shop that markets 1 dollar installs, for that matter.

Hope this help with your stereo selection. Let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to seeing the photos.

Create a thread and post plenty of photos so someone else can learn from your experience. Pose either doing the install or when its finished if you choose to let someone else do it.

Quick Reply: Audio system for 08 Street Glide