Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio system for 08 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pylesbs
Hi guys, New here on forums. Wanting to update my audio system from factory. Any ideas out there? I have been looking at biketronics with upgrades but wondering if anything else out there comparible.
Check out the audio forum. IT will give you ideas. Figure out exactly what you want before you start, or you may be like the rest of us that start over a couple if times.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:55 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by The Q
Take a look in the tech section under audio of this forum. Lots of info on putting a system together. I have the stock head unit but powering 4 Polk Audio speakers (2 6.5" in the fairing and 2 6x9" in saddle bag lids) with a SoundStream 4.520 amp. Learned a lot reading the audio group in this forum.
Q, do you listen to the radio? The reason I ask is because I had the SoundStream amp first, but it killed the radio signal. I had mine fairing mounted and perhaps it was the proximity of the amp and radio that was the cause. I'm wondering if mounting the amp in the bags would work. I ultimately changed it out to a fairing mounted Rockford Fosgate amp which is ok, but the SS amp was better IMO. What has your experience been?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 AM
pylesbs
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bent trix
That's pretty cool. I created (pretty much) this same system. I went a little crazy on the speakers though. I used the T3652 speakers in the holes. I also buried both of the amps inside the fairing. You're right, though. This system rocks. I also pulled the stock head unit and went aftermarket, only because I wanted Bluetooth and MP3. I also used a power FM antenna buried in the fairing.

Tim, a suggestion, find a local stereo shop with a router table and ask them to make a couple black plastic trim rings that lay between the glove box and the speaker... It'll look much betta! With a table they can cut you a couple in no time.

Pylesbs, any "high-end" stereo shop will have the programmer to program the bar control module. The module's are cheap, buying the programmer are a couple hundred - so it's beneficial to buy the head unit and the module from the same shop, work a deal to have the program the module to the head. PM BSPENCER about the amp he has and look at the Rockford Fosgate T1652 they kickass and are reasonably prices. Fit the tweeters into a couple of gauge spots, or cut them into the inner fairing with a holesaw.

Trust me dude! I studied this stuff for months. My stereo is stupid loud, that's what I wanted because I have always used earplugs when I ride.

TIP: Mount the amp to a small piece of perforated sheet metal (just larger than the amp) Use 4 little black "steel stud" screws to mount to plate. Doing this will create a ton of mounting holes. Much easier to mount than using 4 screw holes on the amp.

A hot glue gun can be used to secure the crossovers. I mounted mine under the speaker.. I cant remember which side though. Not that it really matters. Move the wiring out of the way to get the crossover up against the inner fairing and glue it.

Another TIP: If you don't feel comfortable doing the install pay a high-end stereo shop a 200 bucks to do the install. Be sure to ask for a portfolio before dropping off your bike, though. I would NOT advise using hack stereo shops like Sound Emporium or Audio Express. Or any Stereo shop that markets 1 dollar installs, for that matter.

Hope this help with your stereo selection. Let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to seeing the photos.

Create a thread and post plenty of photos so someone else can learn from your experience. Pose either doing the install or when its finished if you choose to let someone else do it.
Thanks for the info guys. I will look up your system parts and check them out. Not in a hurry but want it done by spring you know. Figured on around a $1G for the system I want. NEED MORE POWER. If you know what I mean.