Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt pulled through on fairing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

All of these are options, but if it were me, I'd be on the doorstep of the GM at the Harley Dealership. And if I didn't get any satisfaction there, I'd go to Corporate, and let them all know this is unacceptable, and you want to be compensated. Rolling over, and fixing it yourself wouldn't be an option. Final step, a letter to the dealer from your attorney. I know that all sounds like a pain, but if not you, who, and if not now, when? The GM may have a completely different take on the situation than the service dude that blew you off. Go back to where the problem originated. The fact that they had to remove the fairing for the work they did should be your foundation of inquiry. Let us know what happens.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:21 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
All of these are options, but if it were me, I'd be on the doorstep of the GM at the Harley Dealership. And if I didn't get any satisfaction there, I'd go to Corporate, and let them all know this is unacceptable, and you want to be compensated. Rolling over, and fixing it yourself wouldn't be an option. Final step, a letter to the dealer from your attorney. I know that all sounds like a pain, but if not you, who, and if not now, when? The GM may have a completely different take on the situation than the service dude that blew you off. Go back to where the problem originated. The fact that they had to remove the fairing for the work they did should be your foundation of inquiry. Let us know what happens.

The OP did not indicate this was done at an HD dealer.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Uugly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me I would not have left the repair shop until we had a resolution. You should not get your bike back worse then when you brought it there and it became your problem to fix. That kid knows he screwed it up but did not tell his boss. Proper thing to do is if it was screwed up before, he needed to document it and let you know that it was broken before he started on any repairs.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might try a star washer, it may be thin enough to deform to the countersink a bit. Or a combination of star and black rubber washer that is trimmed to fit. I doubt you'll have much success claiming they did this but certainly doesn't to escalate to the owner.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:39 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrohio
I would use a quick set epoxy in hole then redrill to right size
Thinking the same thing but with some JB Weld and a black washer. Once cured, drill a new hole.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:15 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I had the same issue and I went to Lowes and found some black spacers (bring the fairing bolt for sizing) that had an extended edge on them. I had to cut down the spacers since they were slightly too long but once slipped over the bolt, they cannot be seen and keep the bolt from pulling through the fairing.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrohio
i would use a quick set epoxy in hole then redrill to right size

bingo!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:45 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this on a harley from past....put a black hard plastic washer on it and screwed it back...they isn't much torque on it and it held fine and no one noticed unless I pointed it out.
Or trade it in on a new 2014!
Just thinking out loud
Hap

Old 10-26-2013, 09:51 PM
OldSarge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just reporting back to let everyone know what fix I chose. I used superglue and glued a flat washer to the inside of the fairing. I also put a spacer on the bolt. So far it is holding and you can't see any repair. I am going to purchase an inner fairing and have it painted so I have a future project. Thanks for the help

Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Quick Reply: Bolt pulled through on fairing