Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is fair on a deal like this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013 | 07:13 AM
steelerdude1
|
Grand HDF Member
Default What is fair on a deal like this?

I stopped by a dealership when I was on the road for work. While looking around, I found that they have an 06 Road Glide with low miles. Lots of stuff done to it, 95" kit cams, stage 1 Chromed out engine, chopped tour pak. milage is just under 16,000 miles.

I have an 06 Electra Glide Classic, that I would put back to stock (or as close as I could get) with 53,000 miles. Both bikes are very clean.

Given the bikes are the same year but have a mileage difference, what would be a fair deal if I would make a trade? Not real sure what the price difference was between the 2 bikes when they were new (if any).

If the weather is good, I am thinking of riding out to to test ride it, and to see what kind of #'s they put together.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 10-23-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-23-2013 | 08:20 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Fair, probably won't enter in to it.

Old 10-23-2013 | 08:50 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

MSRP on the 2006 Electra GLide Classic was $17,795 and the Road GLide was $17,495 so not much difference. Trade in on the EG is about $8,310 and Average Retail on the RG is around $12,500. I'm guessing the dealership will be closer to $14,500. I am thinking they are going to start $5K to $6K plus trade initially. You will need to determine what is fair or what you are willing to do.

Old 10-23-2013 | 09:34 AM
ClassicallySprung05
Advanced

Ya, the first thing you will have to accept is you will be getting Trade-in or wholesale for your EG and will be paying retail, if not more with the accessories, for the RG. If you can live with that I don't see why you couldn't get out the door with the RG for less than $6,000 difference

Old 10-23-2013 | 09:50 AM
thrapy
Cruiser

I was at our dealer here last week and they have an 06 Road Glide black pearl king tour box 36000 miles I would say avg condition (7 out of 10) nothing special and they wanted $14900. way too much for me to pay for an 06. So go see what they say and counter offer low. go from there just have a figured that you don't go above. plenty of them out there.

Last edited by thrapy; 10-23-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2013 | 10:50 AM
steelerdude1
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by thrapy
I was at our dealer here last week and they have an 06 Road Glide black pearl king tour box 36000 miles I would say avg condition (7 out of 10) nothing special and they wanted $14900. way too much for me to pay for an 06. So go see what they say and counter offer low. go from there just have a figured that you don't go above. plenty of them out there.
They have it priced at 12999. I am not in a have to have it mode, I do still really like my bike. I wanted a RG when I bought my bike, but couldn't find one that was in my price range. So there is a defanite appeal. I am considering doing a conversion to mine, and have a good grasp of the costs involved. So I guess if the financials merrit, cost of conversion and lower mileage, maybe I'll make the move, but I'm not sure what mileage is worth..

Last edited by steelerdude1; 10-23-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2013 | 11:17 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by steelerdude1

They have it priced at 12999. I am not in a have to have it mode, I do still really like my bike. I wanted a RG when I bought my bike, but couldn't find one that was in my price range. So there is a defanite appeal. I am considering doing a conversion to mine, and have a good grasp of the costs involved. So I guess if the financials merrit, cost of conversion and lower mileage, maybe I'll make the move, but I'm not sure what mileage is worth..
Funny thing is if the mileages were reversed and you were trading for the higher mileage bike, they would tell those miles don't mean that much. But as it is, they are gonna low ball you on trade in.

Old 10-23-2013 | 12:09 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Fair for you certainly won't be fair for them. Fair really isn't in the equation. Go see what they will do, and then unless it's really "fair", just walk away. Give them your number and tell them to call you when they get serious about actually moving it. You'll get a call within a couple of days at least. Then you can start the negotiation process in real time. They're not going to give you a reasonable or "fair" offer initially. That's just NOT how things work with the MoCo. Be patient, and remember it's a want, not a need to to move to the Glide. Getting close to the end of the month, so that's always good as well.

Old 10-23-2013 | 01:13 PM
Crimson
Road Master

Explain to them how worthless it is since the 2014's came out and low ball them about $5k on it. Its what they would do to someone trying to trade it in..

Old 10-23-2013 | 09:24 PM
thrapy
Cruiser

also remember most dealers have a dealer fee, could be $500 $600 on top of that price plus tax tag and title just something to take into consideration. also you might want to see if they can run the vin and give you all the previous history on the bike. or you can research the vin find previous owner n call for info. I'm sure it'd be nice to know who did the 95 kit and what cams. make sure its not been wrecked.

Quick Reply: What is fair on a deal like this?