Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as it is square and CLEAN I would think you are ok. I am not an expert on any of this, just reporting what I have done. I'm sure there a many ways to skin this cat. Yours sounds as good as any. It's just a piece of PVC. :-)

Old 12-10-2013, 05:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MCVDOM
As long as it is square and CLEAN I would think you are ok. I am not an expert on any of this, just reporting what I have done. I'm sure there a many ways to skin this cat. Yours sounds as good as any. It's just a piece of PVC. :-)
Agreed. When I mentioned not using a hacksaw I meant a hand-held one!

Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Rhombus
Advanced

FINALLY got my bike back today from the Indie after installing the CCE triple tree and Progressive Monotubes. They messed up the order multiple times so I'm not real confident. The mechanic told me he used the Shorter Progressives with the Harley Springs to keep the ride height normal. It's not clear to me if they had the top extenders from CCE or not. I "think" the spoke to CCE during the install, but I've been told so many stories by this Indie that I'm not certain of anything.

In any case,the bike tracks GREAT and rides OK. But when I hit a bump, like the the beginning or end of a bridge, it feels like I'm riding a bicycle with too much air in the tires. And there's NO nose dive on ANY stop. In fact, I have a difficult time trying to make the front end move at all with me pushing on it.

I don't know if this should lessen with riding, or if it's just not installed correctly. Anyone with any thoughts? At slow speed it makes a "clunk" sound when I hit on of these bumps.

I usually do my own wrenching and decided to let a "pro" work on the front end. So, I know I should have known better, but it's done and I could use some feedback if anyone has it. Thanks in advance

Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhombus
FINALLY got my bike back today from the Indie after installing the CCE triple tree and Progressive Monotubes. They messed up the order multiple times so I'm not real confident. The mechanic told me he used the Shorter Progressives with the Harley Springs to keep the ride height normal. It's not clear to me if they had the top extenders from CCE or not. I "think" the spoke to CCE during the install, but I've been told so many stories by this Indie that I'm not certain of anything.

In any case,the bike tracks GREAT and rides OK. But when I hit a bump, like the the beginning or end of a bridge, it feels like I'm riding a bicycle with too much air in the tires. And there's NO nose dive on ANY stop. In fact, I have a difficult time trying to make the front end move at all with me pushing on it.

I don't know if this should lessen with riding, or if it's just not installed correctly. Anyone with any thoughts? At slow speed it makes a "clunk" sound when I hit on of these bumps.

I usually do my own wrenching and decided to let a "pro" work on the front end. So, I know I should have known better, but it's done and I could use some feedback if anyone has it. Thanks in advance
I went through two sets of clunking Progessive Monotubes on my Street Glide.

Get your money back from Progressive, and save towards some Traxxion Dynamics AK-20's.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Something ain't right! It won't get better over time.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:11 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhombus

This sounds so wrong. First using the shorter monoshock kit. As I remember (and I even looked at the progressive website instructions) the main spring does not come off the monoshock. They changed the springs??? The "topper" spring which is only a couple inches long could be what they were talking about. That slides on the shock tip right before the lower slider is put on. I wonder if that's the spring the mechanic changed. It makes no sense to me to have substituted parts, as the kit is very simple and straightforward. Just changing springs sounds very unwise and even dangerous. Does your bike sit as high as it used to or is it lower?

Hope it's not to big of a pain to get it sorted. At least you won't have to take the triple off, just the tubes.

So my front suspension with the standard ride height is very crisp and firm but does not clunk.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 AM
MCVDOM
Advanced

When I spoke with Rick at CCE, he said either he or progressive had "special" fork tube caps which must be used when using the monotubes. I hope your mechanic used them. From the sound of what is going on, I would say it is possible that he did not use them.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Rhombus
Advanced

Great feedback everyone. I appreciate it, this gives me really good information to go back to the Indie tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:27 AM
MCVDOM
Advanced

I hope he is able to get you fixed up. Front end work is no more complicated than anything else on the bike, it is just bolting together parts. The part requiring the most patience on this job is adjusting the steering head bearing fallaway. This takes time to do it right. That is another area where the indy could have gone wrong.

Also, I think your indy is very confused about the fork tubes. The CCE fork tubes are 2" longer than stock, but they DO NOT CHANGE THE RIDE HEIGHT!!! The additional 2" goes up into the clamp of the new triple tree. Make your indy call Rick at CCE and let Rick question the guy about what he did. This is a super product and I'd hate to see anyone not happy with it due to poor installation.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Rhombus
Advanced

Originally Posted by MCVDOM
I hope he is able to get you fixed up. Front end work is no more complicated than anything else on the bike, it is just bolting together parts. The part requiring the most patience on this job is adjusting the steering head bearing fallaway. This takes time to do it right. That is another area where the indy could have gone wrong.

Also, I think your indy is very confused about the fork tubes. The CCE fork tubes are 2" longer than stock, but they DO NOT CHANGE THE RIDE HEIGHT!!! The additional 2" goes up into the clamp of the new triple tree. Make your indy call Rick at CCE and let Rick question the guy about what he did. This is a super product and I'd hate to see anyone not happy with it due to poor installation.
Thanks. Good points. I'm certain the issue is not the triple tree. I've just got this sinking feeling the indie didn't install it correctly. Probably didn't order the special caps. THanks again.

Quick Reply: CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions