Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the part number I ordered to rebuild the guts of the forks:

2 - 45859-77A Damper tube seal
2 - 45842-77A Retaining ring for oil seals
2 - 45866-84 Slider bushing
2 - 45940-84 Fork tube bushing
2 - 45405-75A Screw with washer for damper tube
2 - 45858-77 Drain screws

Some of that stuff can be reused if you are careful, but really it is just a couple bucks to have them in case you mess something up.

From what I can tell, the 09 fairing bikes also have the drilled damper tubes due to the fact that that model has a damping valve. Ricor and RaceTech both make these replacement valves which are adjustable. The holes in the damper tube are there to render the damper tube inoperative. The non fairing Touring bikes do not have the valve and therefore have functioning damper tubes without the holes predrilled.

Also, it might be cleaner if you take out your drain plugs and let the bike sit and drain before you start disassembly. No biggie either way on that, just a suggestion if you have the time.

When my bike is back together, I will post a review of the CCE product.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Will be following the CCE progress. I installed an alloy art rear brace, and recently installed the GlidePro 70durometer black bushing kit and still have high speed wobbles. Might have to go with the CCE clamp next year to cure the bike. The Glidepro did improve things up to about 80mph, but it was not the magic single part to fix the problem.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:25 AM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jefla feel free to use this thread if you wish for your build. If you do another thread please post it up here.

I for one would like to see this thread grow with all the different set ups that can be used with the CCE Triple.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:37 AM
MCVDOM
Advanced

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but the cure to the wobble has many faces. Here are the things you need to fix or be aware of:

1. Tire condition.
2. Bike alignment
3. Steering head/fall away adjustment
4. Condition of the bushing for the swingarm

Now for the add ons:

5. Beef up rear shocks to quality units like JRI, Bitubo, Ohlins, etc.
6. Add quality internals to front forks like Racetech springs, Traxxion, etc.
7. CCE triple tree
8. Maybe a bagger brace of some kind. It would be the last thing I added after doing all the above. My personal opinion is that is masks the issues above, but that it is a bandaid. That is not to say that it doesn't work, because MANY have reported it has cured the issues. Many others have report the opposite.
9. This might be the hardest to fix and explain. There are apparently certain types of riding styles which contribute to the wobble. I have seen various opinions on this, but you will have to do your own research as I don't have the answers.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:11 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
Don't yet know. Race Tech said lay out the old internals (springs, washers etc.) and make new internals (springs, Intiminator, washers, spacer, etc.) same length by cutting provided PVC spacer. That seems crude. I'm hoping Jason and members can give more refined starting point. Maybe RT is correct.
If you can get hold of Traxxion's install instructions, their spacer measurement method got me within 1/8" first try.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jefla
Don't yet know. Race Tech said lay out the old internals (springs, washers etc.) and make new internals (springs, Intiminator, washers, spacer, etc.) same length by cutting provided PVC spacer. That seems crude. I'm hoping Jason and members can give more refined starting point. Maybe RT is correct.
I cheated and got my local indy to rebuild my fork legs, changing the seals and bushes at the same time. To cut the spacer use a proper pipe cutter, so the cut ends are square - don't risk using a hacksaw! Otherwise it really is very simple.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:12 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
If you can get hold of Traxxion's install instructions, their spacer measurement method got me within 1/8" first try.
Do you have their instructions available?

Old 12-08-2013, 01:50 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MCVDOM
Cant post copyright material here, PM your email.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MCVDOM
Stacks of instructions and other Tech material on their website!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:37 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
To cut the spacer use a proper pipe cutter, so the cut ends are square - don't risk using a hacksaw! Otherwise it really is very simple.
I've cut a bunch of PVC using my "10 electric miter box. E.G., http://popular.ebay.com/home-improve...-miter-saw.htm. Square and very clean. It's how I made my fork seal installer. Any reason not to use it for this project?

MCVDOM -- what do you think?

Jef

Quick Reply: CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions