Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:13 AM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 138 Likes on 74 Posts

Do you know if if the hd dual cartridge premium front suspension will work with the longer fork tubes? Also wondering how much more labor is involved to add the CCE triple clamp if I'm already having the chrome lowers and cartridge kit installed at the same time. I'm not at all mechanically inclined and tend to break everything when I try lol. The new front end and extra passenger space where the only reasons I was considering upgrading my 2013 ultra limited. I added the George Anderson tour pack relocator and now want to add the CCE set up to finish it off. Still way less the $7000 and I already have pipes,cam and se tuner done on my bike plus alpine amp and speakers with HD iPod integrator.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I phoned CCE with a query on my bike and found them very helpful, so I suggest you give them a call and ask.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1roadking
Do you know if if the hd dual cartridge premium front suspension will work with the longer fork tubes?
When I do the CCE I'll be looking to the aftermarket for upgraded suspension. If HD can't do it right in the first place I'll be damned if I'm going to give them money to upgrade.

Rick

Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 AM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Flyer, I think it's worth pointing out that CCE introduced their top tree kit a few years ago and that the 2014 touring bikes have a similar set-up, but that it is a factory H-D design and includes 49mm fork tubes, a further upgrade over the old 41mm for previous model years.
Two reasons I believe the CCE feels like it "tracks" tighter than the 14's.

1. The CCE has over two inches of clamp, the drawings I have seen of the 14s look much less.

2. The CCE triple is billet versus the factory cast. Very rigid part.

Did I read in another thread you have your bike apart for some reason? I would like to see more actual reviews.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:05 PM
FLYER
Road Master

1roadking, folks have posted good reviews of both the Harley and the Progressive mono tube shocks. I had called CCE before purchase explaining to them I wanted to use the Progressive and I called Progressive. A two inch longer fork tube cap was required and was provided by CCE at the time of purchase. It was of very high quality. The progressive tube has a small stud at the top that threads into the top cap and it is unscrewed and replaced with the longer one. The top cap is red loctited on, becoming a permanent assembly. I do not know if the Harley tube has the same stud at the top for attachment but CCE should be able to tell you. Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:00 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Originally Posted by MCVDOM
Thanks for the review Flyer! My bike is apart right now getting this very upgrade as well as getting converted to a Road Glide. I can always go back if I don't like it, right? I will let you guys know what I think about it too.
Yes please do!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the start of my bike. That was the easy part. Now to put it back together.

Attached Thumbnails CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions-bike-apart.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Originally Posted by MCVDOM
This is the start of my bike. That was the easy part. Now to put it back together.
Now that's stripped down and ready for action. I adjusted the head bearings while I had everything apart. Looks way easier to do on your bike. One nice feature of the CCE triple is that there is a slot in the front so you can easily rotate the stem bearing nut underneath the triple. If you haven't done the neck bearing adjustment on a touring model before watch out as when you put the big nut on top of the triple it adds more preload. Fall away is checked after that big nut on top is torqued to 70 ft lbs or so. Also when I was checking the fall away I heard a slight scraping sound. There was a spot of welding slag on the top of the frame that the new CCE triple rubbed. I ground it off, repainted and was good to go.

Looking forward to your review.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by FLYER
Did I read in another thread you have your bike apart for some reason? I would like to see more actual reviews.
I'm in the middle of a raft of 'upgrades' and recently added the CCE kit to the pile! I'm not the fastest mechanic out here so it may be some while before I get to ride with it.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:49 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,835 Likes on 986 Posts

I've been seeing some good reports on your triple trees for the late
model dressers. I have a Harley premium ride double cartridge fork kit in my front end. I know that the tubes you supply with this triple tree set are two inches longer. Is there a way to continue using the premium ride kit with your triple trees?
This is an e-mail I sent to CCE about installing their triple tree with the Harley Premium Ride Double Cartridge Fork Kit. Below is the answer I received.

Yes, our trees will work with this new installation, I just have to
supply you with the 2 new cartridge style tubes which I have in
stock.
If you decide to order this trees and tubes I must know that you
have the premium upgrade kit when you order. So, if you order on line
follow up with a call and the information.

Thanks,

Rick
Whitehead
Custom Cycle Engineering
1-800-472-9253

Quick Reply: CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions