Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks very much, Flyer.

I'm pretty new to HD touring, was away from motor bikes for 25+ years, and ride pretty conservatively (sota out of fear). Given my tempered riding style, I was not sure I "need" to spend the $$$ for this mod, but your review suggests all riders will benefit from this upgrade. Thank you.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:02 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
Thanks very much, Flyer.

I'm pretty new to HD touring, was away from motor bikes for 25+ years, and ride pretty conservatively (sota out of fear). Given my tempered riding style, I was not sure I "need" to spend the $$$ for this mod, but your review suggests all riders will benefit from this upgrade. Thank you.
The best way to describe it is to say the bike feels much solider towards the sport bike end of things. I remember my brothers FJ100 sport bike a 150mph beast (not with me on it though) and it seemed so solid even as the speed increased dramatically. I was surprised how far this mod took me that direction. Of course it won't matter to some people, but I think it would be a mod all would appreciate if they had it, one of the reasons the new 14's are selling so well I am sure.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:08 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Originally Posted by hattitude
I am about two months from doing the CCE triple tree. I'd be interested to have more info on what Howard's offering and when it might be available...

Flyer.. thanks for the info on your experience. Your results have bumped up the front end mod to higher on my "mods to do" list....

After doing this mod, I wish it was the first one I had done. I think Howard's front end looks great but I know it will be very expensive. The cost of the CCE (if you do your own labor) and after selling off your old fork tubes (CCE provides new longer ones) should be around 700. That's pretty nominal cost for the gains. Just my opinion.

Last edited by FLYER; 11-14-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:15 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 385 Posts

If someone will pay $300 for used fork tubes, I've got a bridge for sale.........

Old 10-25-2013, 05:19 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Given this thread, I'm going with CCE.

The installation looks pretty basic, but I fly a desk these days and I second guess myself a lot when it comes to wrenching my bike. E.g., when I replaced the lowers last winter I had a nagging fear that my front wheel would fall off. It stayed on. Rotors, too. Given all that angst, would you guys suggest that a sometime (but previously pretty good) mechanic DIY this project?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
Given this thread, I'm going with CCE.

The installation looks pretty basic, but I fly a desk these days and I second guess myself a lot when it comes to wrenching my bike. E.g., when I replaced the lowers last winter I had a nagging fear that my front wheel would fall off. It stayed on. Rotors, too. Given all that angst, would you guys suggest that a sometime (but previously pretty good) mechanic DIY this project?
I wouldn't hesitate. If you wrenched before...it's just like riding a bike. Take your time and take a few pics as you go along.

Rick

Old 10-26-2013, 11:31 PM
FLYER
Road Master

Originally Posted by bklynbob
If someone will pay $300 for used fork tubes, I've got a bridge for sale.........
Haha, yeah you're right, got a calculator I could buy?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:59 AM
FLYER
Road Master
Wink

Well Harley finally fixed those clutch issues on the 14's and I made it into town to ride one. I rode my bike in and actually enjoyed some dry weather in Oregon. I wanted to ride my bike in so I could do a back to back comparison. A nice shiny black Ultra was ready for me and in a couple of minutes I was off. I had installed a 103 kit in my bike so really the 14 should be pretty similar.

I had quite a bit of wondering about if the CCE triples were that good of a mod what with the good reports on the 14s. I had actually considered just trading up to a 14 but had so many things going right on my 09 I took the gamble and spent the money. For some reason there are not reviews on the CCE triple mod.

So I threw a leg over and settled in the seat feeling the new bike out. Starting right off in the parking lot I could already tell the CCE triple made for a tighter front end. Wow, and I hadn't even gotten out of the parking lot yet. I rode a total of 20 miles. Most of those miles were twisty back roads with a couple of 70 mph freeway sections. I was not racing, just looking for a smooth precise ride. I was surprised, even though the 14 was a definite improvement over the stock 09 the CCE triple mod was superior IN MY OPINION to the stock 14. The tracking of the CCE triple mod is fantastic.

Also to my surprise I was disappointed in a few other areas of the 14. I did not like the stiff feel of the new hydraulic clutch, I did not like the rear brake pedal location, and I did not like the heavier shifter feel. Some other 14 reviewers stated the 14 gave them a roomier feel but it didn't seem that way to me. The new vented windshield was better than my stock 09 but not any better for reducing buffeting with my LRS 10" recurve.

I am so glad I made this comparison ride. The work and effort I have put into this bike and this mod most particularly have been very worthwhile.

Attached Thumbnails CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions-image.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Wink

Flyer, I think it's worth pointing out that CCE introduced their top tree kit a few years ago and that the 2014 touring bikes have a similar set-up, but that it is a factory H-D design and includes 49mm fork tubes, a further upgrade over the old 41mm for previous model years.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:23 AM
MCVDOM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review Flyer! My bike is apart right now getting this very upgrade as well as getting converted to a Road Glide. I can always go back if I don't like it, right? I will let you guys know what I think about it too.

Quick Reply: CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions