Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by MCVDOM
Right, I see that now. LOL. The question does remain though, if you are using the 2014 lowers, you will likely need a 2014 fender to bolt up to it.
Howard started work on his conversion long before we or he knew the MoCo was going to introduce 49mm forks on the Touring models. Far more likely IMHO that Howard has made this complete set-up to fit pre-2014 bikes, so our fender will fit. It'll be interesting to see what Howard's reply is!

Old 10-23-2013, 12:16 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Making lowers as nice as the Showa's would be quite an accomplishment.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:00 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 442 Likes on 247 Posts
Default answers

That looks great Howard! Do you have pricing an availability on this? Also, it is sold as a complete kit or do you provide a parts list for HD parts needed (if any)? Also the fender mounting changed in 2014 from bolts on the inside of the fender to bolts on the outside of the fender. The picture you show does not appear to have bosses for the fender mounts. I'm assuming this is a prototype? Thanks for staying on top of this.
>>> Also the fender mounting changed in 2014 from bolts on the inside of the fender to bolts on the outside of the fender.

The fender bolts exactly the same on either a 2013 or 2014, there is no difference . The 2014 slider is exactly the same measurements from the fender mounts to the axle & fork bottom with the exception of the new 14mm bolt to hold in the damper tube. The 2014 fender in prime is the exact same part number as the 2013.

I just use a set of fork tubes & sliders off of a 2014. TJ316 (HDF & RG.Org member just bought a set) and I will do a video on it. At Daytona I wanted to show the internals and installing the sliders on the forks could have not achieved this. That is why the picture does not have sliders on them.

If Graham did not already buy a set of CCE trees, he would have had my set for all of his years of helpfulness (is that a word?) he does provide here @ HDF for all of the grateful members including myself. I also wanted to test my forks to see if they would hold up driving on the wrong side of the road crown while driving backwards the way they do. I guess this is how they do it way over there keeping their right from their left sorted out while turning?

Last edited by FastHarley; 10-23-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remembered the fender was changed. it looks like if you buy the mounting hardware for the new style fender it will work, but it does bolt in from the outside of the forks.

So is this being sold as a complete kit with sliders, fork tubes, etc, or just the triple trees and we buy the needed HD parts?

Perhaps Graham would be kind enough to test them anyway, since he doesn't have the CCE trees installed yet.

When will yours be available for shipping?

Attached Thumbnails CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions-frontfender.jpg  

Last edited by MCVDOM; 10-23-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 442 Likes on 247 Posts

I remembered the fender was changed. it looks like if you buy the mounting hardware for the new style fender it will work, but it does bolt in from the outside of the forks.

So is this being sold as a complete kit with sliders, fork tubes, etc, or just the triple trees and we buy the needed HD parts?

Perhaps Graham would be kind enough to test them anyway, since he doesn't have the CCE trees installed yet.

Here is what I purchased, a 2014 set of sliders with the same bolt centers as the 2013's. I aligned up both years to see if they matched. Remember, the holes are in the same place. Change the bolts to go through the fender bracket and the fork slider than affix with a nut on the inside of the bracket in place of the thread in bolt through the 2013 fender bracket to the slider, easier.

And my split bolt solution. This is a prototype, we still may go with a collar nut with check nut so the full size bolt screws into it, testing will tell.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Talking

So I rode to the Harley dealer today to do a comparison test run with a new 2014 Ultra. Guess what? They were all broke!

Old 10-25-2013, 12:01 PM
FLYER
Road Master

UPDATE -AFTER A FEW HUNDRED MILES I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MODIFICATION! The bike is so solid that it feels different at all speeds and in all driving conditions. Parking lot turns, twisty roads, high speeds. On freeways its like on rails. I would recommend this before any other suspension change, its that good. My setup used progressive monoshocks and 944 rears but they do not account for the "tight" feel of the head. I made this change not because my bike handled the bumps really poorly but because of the vague and numb feeling in the head. THE CUSTOM CYCLE ENGINEERING upper triple clamp achieve their claims, they really work.

As others have posted here there may be other conversions coming, but I find the CCE triple so solid and positive for me I don't think there is much room for improvement.

Last edited by FLYER; 11-14-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:25 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to hear if you get a chance to compare the 2014s to you bike side by side.

Thanks for your reports!

Old 10-25-2013, 12:28 PM
FLYER
Road Master

I'd love to hear if you get a chance to compare the 2014s to you bike side by side.

Thanks for your reports!
Workin on that. Of course the dealership has to fix the ones they got before test rides resume, they grounded them all because of the clutch recall.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:41 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,994 Likes on 4,295 Posts

I am about two months from doing the CCE triple tree. I'd be interested to have more info on what Howard's offering and when it might be available...

Flyer.. thanks for the info on your experience. Your results have bumped up the front end mod to higher on my "mods to do" list....

Quick Reply: CCE triple clamp and Progressive monoshock impressions