Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely speechless

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:58 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 608 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
First, you should have ordered a service manual the day you picked up your bike. Second, you don't ask a service department that you are depriving of service to borrow their tools so you can do it yourself. The tool in this case is the manual.

Don't get me wrong, I do all my service too, but they are not going to allow you to "page" through their shop manuals after they know you are not going to pay them for service. Why should they? Of course they have them in the back for use by the mechanics...don't you know he was just blowing you off?

I understand your point and would agree with you under most circumstances but I don't think the OP is a bit out of line for this. It would even be different if they had the Service Manuals in stock. It seems he ask to PURCHASE one and they didn't have it, therefore all he did is ask to see the checklist according to that manual. I don't see how that is putting the dealership out one bit.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

The mechanic at our dealership is really good about giving advice. I have and use a manual, but many times there are some tricks to make the job easier and I have found the manual police on this forum to be a pain. I am sure there are some shops that don't want to help customers do their own work, but I've not run into that with cars, motorcycles and even airplanes. I think for the most part mechanics respect mechanics.

Beary

Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

What worked for me was moving, used to live on Kauai but now I have my choice of bad dealers instead of being stuck with just one. It was more than worth it for me

Old 10-21-2013, 12:04 PM
gotwages
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD10563
What worked for me was moving, used to live on Kauai but now I have my choice of bad dealers instead of being stuck with just one. It was more than worth it for me
Haha. Only two more years and I can say the same thing.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The service schedule and recalls for your bike are on the Harley website. Create an account and enter your VIN. The items on the service intervals are there as is a copy of your owners manual. It doesn't give you specs or show you how but the checklist from the service manual is there. You do need to buy a manual but the specs for an oil change are there. Buy a belt tension tool and you don't need to sit on the bike to check that. If there are any recalls for your bike they will be posted there. for older bikes (not 14s) there is an Android (don't know if it is available for apple) App V twin Reference and it has a lot of handy things like trouble codes and basic trouble shooting.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:38 PM
gotwages
Tourer

Originally Posted by rg_dave
The service schedule and recalls for your bike are on the Harley website. Create an account and enter your VIN. The items on the service intervals are there as is a copy of your owners manual. It doesn't give you specs or show you how but the checklist from the service manual is there. You do need to buy a manual but the specs for an oil change are there. Buy a belt tension tool and you don't need to sit on the bike to check that. If there are any recalls for your bike they will be posted there. for older bikes (not 14s) there is an Android (don't know if it is available for apple) App V twin Reference and it has a lot of handy things like trouble codes and basic trouble shooting.
Thanks for the advice, I created an account when I heard about this recall and pulled it up on there. I saw the owners manual tab but no service manual, boo. As for the app, I have an iPhone but I will keep a look out for it. I appreciate it man.

Here is a picture of me getting it done:

Attached Thumbnails Completely speechless-1393670_4865443692972_1523841124_n.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

How would the OP feel if the tables were turned. Say a guy came up to him while he was maintaining the arresting gear for aircraft. Said he was an experienced Harley mechanic, but got a side job installing arresting gear at another facility. Wanted all the technical specifications and instruction manuals to get the job done, as he had never worked on that specific type of equipment before. Say the guy was pretty **** sure of himself, and of course had no training on the equipment. Remember the responsibility for the two souls on board

It is always a good idea to have someone who sees lots of bikes to take a look after you get a 1000 miles or so. They know which fasteners tend to loosen up, can check all the recalls such as the current hydraulic braking issue as well as listen to sounds that may be abnormal to the bike. They can install all the latest electronic updates and answer any questions you may have on adding accessories to personalize your bike.

After this experienced professional does a going over on your bike, many owners want to go over the bike a second time to make sure all is as it should be. Two sets of eyes on a mechanical device is always better than just one.

As mentioned, these bikes are often going down the road at high speeds with two souls on board. Hard to be too careful. Got to be sure your ego, or wanting to save a few dollars, does not get in the way of having the safest bike possible.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Read it again v-e-r-y slowly. He ordered the SERVICE manual but used the checklist in the OWNER'S manual.
ppl are sometimes a lil too quick to jump in on the conversation!

Old 10-21-2013, 01:38 PM
gotwages
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
How would the OP feel if the tables were turned. Say a guy came up to him while he was maintaining the arresting gear for aircraft. Said he was an experienced Harley mechanic, but got a side job installing arresting gear at another facility. Wanted all the technical specifications and instruction manuals to get the job done, as he had never worked on that specific type of equipment before. Say the guy was pretty **** sure of himself, and of course had no training on the equipment. Remember the responsibility for the two souls on board It is always a good idea to have someone who sees lots of bikes to take a look after you get a 1000 miles or so. They know which fasteners tend to loosen up, can check all the recalls such as the current hydraulic braking issue as well as listen to sounds that may be abnormal to the bike. They can install all the latest electronic updates and answer any questions you may have on adding accessories to personalize your bike. After this experienced professional does a going over on your bike, many owners want to go over the bike a second time to make sure all is as it should be. Two sets of eyes on a mechanical device is always better than just one. As mentioned, these bikes are often going down the road at high speeds with two souls on board. Hard to be too careful. Got to be sure your ego, or wanting to save a few dollars, does not get in the way of having the safest bike possible.
I see what you're saying but you missed the point. I know they are well trained. I know they know their jobs but what I also know is that they showed a general "I don't give a $h!t" attitude that made me not trust them working on my bike. And we have guys all the time that think they know everything about my job because they had very little training and still need a lot more, they are called airmen and my job as an NCO is to mentor and train them properly. All I was doing was looking for some help from a trained professional but the guy didn't seem to care at all about the mx of the bikes or helping me. I go to an Indy shop around here and the guy who works there is super friendly and is a trained Harley mechanic. I didn't go to his shop because he hadn't worked on a 14 yet so he is not up to speed on it not does he have any of the new manuals. I will ask him to look over everything and make sure I did a good job. He also worked at the HD dealer that I went to for 15 years and left because he was sick of the people and the attitude there. Again, like I ave said three times now, I know they know their jobs. They just need to at least act like they care. And don't just take my word for it, read a few posts back about the guy who was stationed at Schofield, he knows what I am talking about.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:48 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 608 Likes on 279 Posts

In my opinion gotwages, the point in your favor to rest your hat on is the fact that you made the attempt to purchase the service manual first, only afterwards when they didn't have any for sale did you ask to look at the checklist in one of their service manuals.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with that. It would be somewhat different if you asked several different times, asked them to make copies of it for you, asked to take it home, or asked to borrow tools.

Asking to buy a service manual first, and then after not having one for sale asking to look at one section of their manual that's not for sale is completely reasonable in my opinion.

Last edited by 1BRAVO9; 10-21-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Completely speechless