Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Fairings

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013 | 06:12 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Just put a set on that I got off Ebay. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, especially for the price. Had a nice ride today (Montana) and it really makes a difference in the chill factor. Go for it.

Old 10-21-2013 | 06:25 PM
shaker
Tourer

BIGSKYHD - do you have the link to the one's you purchased? I am very interested in getting some and would like to see some pics of the one's you have mounted. I have been looking at the one's on ebay because I would only use them short term and take them off for warmer weather riding.

Old 10-21-2013 | 06:25 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm new to the touring scene and undecided about ordering lowers for my new SGS. The highway bars look disproportionately large like they need to have the lowers. I think if I don't do the lowers I would either change or remove the highway bars.

Old 10-21-2013 | 08:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ejvette
I'm new to the touring scene and undecided about ordering lowers for my new SGS. The highway bars look disproportionately large like they need to have the lowers. I think if I don't do the lowers I would either change or remove the highway bars.
my opinion, if your bike is not vivid black, then i would go with the color matched hd ones. get them from a discounter and you'll come out ahead of buying the cheapy ones off of ebay and paying to have them painted.

i don't know about the 14s, but the lowers for 13 and older ran about $530 already color matched..

i would go that route as opposed to putting cheap stuff on a new sgs.

also, if by 'highway bars' you mean the crash bar, then you really don't want to remove that. it may look cool, but the first time your bike decides to 'take a nap' on you, you'll really be wishing you hadn't of removed them.

Old 10-21-2013 | 11:23 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by shaker
BIGSKYHD - do you have the link to the one's you purchased? I am very interested in getting some and would like to see some pics of the one's you have mounted. I have been looking at the one's on ebay because I would only use them short term and take them off for warmer weather riding.
Ultranutz gave me the link, and I bought them when they went on sale about a month ago. They are painted vivid black, and I got them for $125 + shipping of about $19. I'll go back and try to find the vendor and PM you with the info. One thing, they don't come with any directions or Hardware. But I've got all the printouts of parts needed with the part#'s from Harley. You might do a search for UltraNutz thread on Lowers from EBay. I've got pictures on my camera hard drive but I can't find the cord to download them onto the computer. When I find it, I'll get them loaded and send them out to you.

Old 10-22-2013 | 04:43 AM
Hedgehog
Cruiser

Quick question to you guys while we are on the subject. My friend and I are looking to buy either limited's or ultra classics in the next few months. I am leaning towards the classic because of the cooling issue but also due to the fact that the lowers can come off. I use to have a streetglide but never rode a bike with lowers. How are they in the summer for rider comfort? If you were making a purchase like I will be, would you choose having the option to remove them or would you go with the limited?

Old 10-22-2013 | 05:17 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
my opinion, if your bike is not vivid black, then i would go with the color matched hd ones. get them from a discounter and you'll come out ahead of buying the cheapy ones off of ebay and paying to have them painted.

i don't know about the 14s, but the lowers for 13 and older ran about $530 already color matched..

i would go that route as opposed to putting cheap stuff on a new sgs.

also, if by 'highway bars' you mean the crash bar, then you really don't want to remove that. it may look cool, but the first time your bike decides to 'take a nap' on you, you'll really be wishing you hadn't of removed them.
Agreed I would never buy the cheapies off ebay the color matched ones from HD are 499. If I don't do the lowers I would replace the crash bars with Yaffe monkey guards to match the yaffe monkey bars I want to install.

Last edited by ejvette; 10-22-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2013 | 07:31 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ejvette
Agreed I would never buy the cheapies off ebay the color matched ones from HD are 499. If I don't do the lowers I would replace the crash bars with Yaffe monkey guards to match the yaffe monkey bars I want to install.
The color matched are not $499. That is price for primed. Color matched from HD vary in price... Over $600. Website P&A clearly states "NOTE: Price shown is for primed lowers"

Old 10-22-2013 | 07:34 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
The color matched are not $499. That is price for primed. Color matched from HD vary in price... Over $600. Website P&A clearly states "NOTE: Price shown is for primed lowers"
You can get them at Surdyke for 20% less...Works out to be about 520 for color matched lowers.

Old 10-22-2013 | 07:42 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
You can get them at Surdyke for 20% less...Works out to be about 520 for color matched lowers.
Mine wereMSRP about 649 and yes, 20% makes it much better. My dealer gave me 18% so good enough. Price went up when 2014 catalog came out. Point was, $499 previously posted is MSRP for primed HD vented lowers.

Quick Reply: Lower Fairings