Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too tall for Ultra Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 01:30 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too tall for Ultra Classic?

A friend wanted to buy a Goldwing. He is 6'4" and long legged. He just doesn't fit on a GW as his knees bump against the fairing. He wants to look at the RK line. He drove my RKC some time back and didn't think it was particularly comfortable although he liked it otherwise. So I told him I would check with forum members as to what they thought about a rider 6' 4" to see what there opinions were. Comments please. Particularly if you are a tall rider. I'm sure this guy would buy the Ultra Classic if he ends up buying a Harley.
Thanks,
Gary

Old 03-11-2007, 01:48 PM
jward2331
Cruiser
Default RE: Too tall for Ultra Classic?

I'm 6'3" and ride a '06 Road Glide. As you can see in the sig, I ride it like I stole it...... Great bike, plenty of room.

John

Old 03-11-2007, 02:05 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Go to a dealer that has rentals or better yet find out where they may have demo rides.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

I've got a 36" inseam and have rented both the Road King and an Ultra. Bought a Road Glide because it seems to give me much more room and I don't feel like I'm riding the tank. I believe the Road King would come in second for comfort for tall riders. The Ultra, with the lowers, made it even more cramped IMO.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Rabid
Cruiser

I'm 6'6" - 37 inseam. It's why I didn't buy a GW. Went with the Ultra, a bit more wide open, Adjustable floorboard extenders and highway pegs and the adjustable backrest. Course, as soon as the weather co-operates I'll be able to pick it up from the dealer. (PS - Harley was cheaper !!)

Rabid

Old 03-11-2007, 04:48 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master
Veteran: Marine CorpVeteran: Air Force
Received 850 Likes on 322 Posts

6'3" here. Love the Ultra. Got an old lady that's a shade under 6', and when she rides with me, we have plenty of room.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:41 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jward2331

I'm 6'3" and ride a '06 Road Glide. As you can see in the sig, I ride it like I stole it...... Great bike, plenty of room.

John
John ~ that's a GREAT sig photo!

THe RG does seem to have a much more roomy feel than a any of the EG line. I've had both.

RG's & EG's both benefit from installation of an EZ-Brake and "Long" EZ-Shifter (with or w/o the "Long" heel shifter. "For me", the Mustang solo w/backrest really opens things up too... as you sit back just a bit further than on a stock'sih seat.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:59 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto Soos! Everyones different and so is their feel!

6'4" here with a 36" inseam. Others told me the Road Zep seat would move me too close to the tank. WTF I bought one anyway.

I love my UC and the Road Zep actually gives me more room (and comfort) than the stockseat.

Again ditto Soos! Go to a dealer and rent one or more. Most dealers will credit the rentals (up to a certain amount like $250) towards the purchase.

IMO the UC is the only way to go if you plan on riding and not looking! I ride 30K+ each year and love every minute/mile. My UC with the Road Zep is awesome!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you are in the Montgomery,Al area come by and see me. I have sold a few Ultras to tall riders like you. Get the footboard extenders and if you have a size 12 or larger shoe size get the EZ BRAKE AND SHIFTERS. Also get the HD Tallboy seat and I guarantee you will be happy. Or come on by and ride my Ultra demo. Ask for MACK at HD of Montgomery.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:30 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'5' with a 36' inseam and have no problems on a UC, RK or my SG. He may need to get a Corbin Hollywood seat to set him a little further back from the tank. The highway pegs, if properly placed, will also allow him to stretch out.

Peace,

Quick Reply: Too tall for Ultra Classic?