Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing stuff baked on heat shields?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013 | 11:31 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master

I would never use steel wool on chrome!

+1 on Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Removes everything and no effect on the chrome.... Metal on metal will ALWAYS leave a mark of some sort......

Old 10-21-2013 | 11:45 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

Did you ever notice that there is never a clear consensus on the "what is best" questions on a forum?

There are usually more than one way to fix something.

The real hat trick is to decide which are helpful and which are going to cause more problems.

Old 10-21-2013 | 12:46 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PeteF
This is going to sound overly simply, but let the pipes cool and try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I had the remains of a rubber boot sole, and melted rain suit on my heat shield. I used Moco cleaner without much success. I used the Magic Eraser and I'm not kidding the stuff came right off. I don't know how it works, but it does.
Yes, this!!

Old 10-21-2013 | 03:00 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

My MoCo parts monkey turned me on to Road Rub. Cheap and works the best.

"Just stroke your motorcycle's chrome with Road Rub® to remove tough residues, even burnt boot scuffs! Like magic, Road Rub® cleans chrome to a shine. Road Rub® is formulated into a dry stick, so it can't spill. Perfect in a saddle bag.
Once you use it, you'll never be without it. It's that good. Remember, the sooner you get residues off your chrome, the better. So, make sure you always have a stick of Road Rub® on hand."

Last edited by yzergod; 10-21-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2013 | 04:02 PM
TMOUT
Tourer

Originally Posted by n19dg2
I have had this happen several times...use easy off oven cleaner. Warm up the pipe, cover painted area and spray on pipe...works like a charm and does not hurt the pipe.
worked great on melted running shoe sole on mine, just MAKE
SURE you cover any painted surfaces behind the shields!!!

Old 10-21-2013 | 04:06 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
Try lighter fluid or paint thinner on a rag. Get the pipes HOT than vigorously rub the pipe with the solution on the rag. Removed many a boot mark without issues.
..... and keep a fire extinguisher nearby...............im glad it was a small rag i used!

Old 10-21-2013 | 04:10 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

You sure it wasn't just the rag smoking? I seriously doubt the flash point is that low to ignite unless your pipes were red hot

Old 10-21-2013 | 04:25 PM
TriGeezer
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Success

I'm the OP. So, I already had WD40, and bought some 0000 steel wool. Started with cold pipes, Soaked the steel wool with the WD40 and gently rubbed the baked on oil on the heat shields. It all came off almost instantly! Tried the same technique on the year old boot burns, to no success. So, used a lot more scrubbing pressure, and a lot came off. Then soaked a rag with WD40, and wrapped it around the blemish. Timed the soak by the time it took to open & enjoy 1 beer, then rubbed moderately briskly with the 0000 steel wool soaked in WD40. Success!!! No abrasion on the heat shields' chrome at all, in fact they shine like brand new.

Note: larger or more persistent boot marks may require soak time of two or more beers.

So, anyone want a can of MOCo boot heel remover.?

No
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!
Jeff

Old 10-21-2013 | 10:42 PM
Ridethemountains
Intermediate

That EagleOne never dull wading is good stuff. Be careful though. It is a little abrasive so rub just hard enough to remove your bootmark.

Old 10-21-2013 | 11:11 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain

Great suggestions. I will try the aluminum foil or some of the others to get the melted plastic from the strap on my camera bag...

Quick Reply: Removing stuff baked on heat shields?