Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about tuner upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:49 AM
johnnyt5646
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about tuner upgrades

I purchased a used 09 street glide in april of this year. From what i know It has thunderheader exhaust, Arlen Ness big sucker air cleaner. I was told it was dyno tuned with the sert. I did not get the sert dongle with the bike.

My question is 1. how do i tell if my bike still has the dyno tune or has be reverted back to stock 2. if it still has the dyno tune, what happens if i put another tuner on like the power commander 5. can i just install the pc5 and be ok how does that work

Thanks

Old 10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

If its running good I'd guess you still have the upgraded tune. What happened to the SERT? It is worthless once married to your bike and ya should have gotten it. The only way I know to tell what ya got is to get a flash tuner and read the tables? PCV is not a flash tuner and will not change the ecm map like a TTS/Powervision/SEPRT will.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 AM
johnnyt5646
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i purchased the bike from a non-harley dealer. the sert did not come with the bike. i am changing out exhaust getting cams and later on going to get a 107 kit.

I am looking into getting a pcv with auto tune or a tts mastertune. i am leaning towards the pcv because price, a dealer of the 107 kit supports it. but everything i read is the tts is a great tuner. can you use a pcv with a ecu that has been flashed with a sert or is the tts the only option now since my ecu has been flashed.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You can use the PCV but you will have to do the tuning yourself as canned maps may or may not work. You would be better off with the TTS or Power Vision or the SEPST for sure. they are all flash tuners and will not be affected by the previous tune. My guess is it probably has a stage 1 download. If you know that you can use the PCV if you like and let the 107 guru know that up front. He can send a map accordingly.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyt5646
...how does that work
As suggested above, go with a tuner that will flash over the existing tune.

You will really want to re-set the VE's at the very least and then adjust the other tables to properly/effectively work with any new mods.

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:42 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was indeed dyno'd, and is running well, why touch it. Any after market programmer will get you in the ECM and allow you to adjust values, but why. If it is for simple curiosity's sake find someone to pull your'e map and do a comparison. A wide open (fully licensed) PV will allow this. Someone who knows it well will be able to tell you if it is modified. As said earlier, if it is simply for curiosity's sake, I wouldn't touch it if it performs.
For the record when I traded my Dyna, I kept my SEPST on simple principal. I figured I gave $550 for everything and I'll be damned if their getting it. I also assumed there would be an underground unlock, but the MoCo has a hell of a team of lawyers and have people to afraid to go near them. I just so happened to find my bike a couple years later and offered it up to the owner for $150 complete. Thank you Craigslist.......

Last edited by VTL nut; 10-20-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:09 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VTL nut
If it was indeed dyno'd, and is running well, why touch it. Any after market programmer will get you in the ECM and allow you to adjust values, but why. If it is for simple curiosity's sake find someone to pull your'e map and do a comparison. A wide open (fully licensed) PV will allow this. Someone who knows it well will be able to tell you if it is modified. As said earlier, if it is simply for curiosity's sake, I wouldn't touch it if it performs.
For the record when I traded my Dyna, I kept my SEPST on simple principal. I figured I gave $550 for everything and I'll be damned if their getting it. I also assumed there would be an underground unlock, but the MoCo has a hell of a team of lawyers and have people to afraid to go near them. I just so happened to find my bike a couple years later and offered it up to the owner for $150 complete. Thank you Craigslist.......
What a good guy you are!

Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
What a good guy you are!
Exactly what I was thinking!!