Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Reach Handlebar

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:20 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reduced Reach Handlebar

Anyone have any idea what the dealer will charge me for installing these bars on my RKC (labor and parts)? I know I have to change out the cables for this bar but I really want the 2 1/2" pull back. I've searched through the parts catalog with no luck as to what it will cost me for the new cables that will have to be installed. I know the bar itself is $50. I've done a search and seen a lot are going to Heritage bars or the High Roadking bar. I'm 5'8 and don't think they will give enough pull back for me. I don't want to have to lean forward to reach the handlebars. Did enough of that on my old bike.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:25 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RE: Reduced Reach Handlebar

Check the cable length reccommended cable length for the Heritage bars, if they are the same you wont have to change them. If ypou do it will be $150 - 200 for the parts, another 200 for labor. Checked on this for my change, ended up going with the Heritage bars. did the work myself couldn't be happier.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:15 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member

I guess I would want to know how tall you are? Believe me if I thought the Heritage bars would work for me that's the route I would go. I wonder if the Road King High handlebar (which I don't believe you have to switch cables with either) would work as well?

Old 03-11-2007, 11:53 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

5'11"

Old 03-11-2007, 12:02 PM
tackleberry1145
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: masterblaster

$150 - 200 for the parts, another 200 for labor.
Parts for HD are about right, but around here (Va) the labor would be around 4 hrs ($320). If you havent done it yet, make sure you get someone to actually measure you for a set of bars, that can save a lot of headaches and money in the long run. Agreed tho, if you are even slightly inclined, try and do it yourself!

I initially tried the reduced reach HD bars on my road king, but ended up changing bars again cause the HD bars didn't quite 'get it'.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had it done on my 06 Ultra. All the new cables and hydralic lines and labor were about $600. I already had the bars from a previous purchase.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Noble Steed
Advanced

I'm 5'7 and I use the Heritage bars. I wouldn't mind having another inch or so. If you are going to change the cables, try the Touring Pull Back bar. I had those on my previous bike and they were nice. They are the same shape as the EG bars but have 2" pullback.My neighbor put Wide Glide bars on he RK Custom. They are a bit taller and narrower than the Heritage but are equally as comfortable.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:17 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

What bars did you go to?

Old 03-11-2007, 02:53 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

If you are paying the Local Stealer to do this install - Make Damn sure of the bars you are installing - You are about to be shocked at what the labor cost will be - most charge $75-$90 an hour. Bars are a personal choice - what works for one rider may not work for you - if at all possible - find as many RC out there and ask the owners if you can sit and try their bars - This takes time and you may not have it - A lot of us use and really like the Wild1 bars and they do look great on any touring bike - must better than the skimpy stock HD bars - but again, just my opinion here

Old 03-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Noble Steed
Advanced

I agree w/ Harley0711..It is quite expensive if you have a dealer do it. Try to find other riders who have what you want and at least sit on it to get a feel. I went with the Heritage bars. No cable changes. I did it myself in about an hour. I am pleased with the bars over all. If I change them again, I will go with the Touring Pull Back. Add the driver back rest if you haven't already. If you want to change the cables, get the most pull back you can.

Quick Reply: Reduced Reach Handlebar