Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Reach Handlebar

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:38 PM
tmaxx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reduced Reach Handlebar

I installed the 2" reach bars a couple of days ago on my 06 SG. They feel comfortable, but haven't riden with them yet do to weather. It took approx. 3 hours to install, 1st time installing new bars. I used all the original cables,so it took a bit of work to get the cables not to restrict the bar movement. I ran the clutch cable along the handle bars and not through the fairing, the brake line just had to be straightened a bit and the throttle cables had to be moved up closer to the wiring harness in front of the tank. This would be a very easy install on a bike with no fairing, even if you do replace your clutch and throttle cables, just take your time and save your self $300.00.
I know a few guys who run with these 2" reach bars and really like them. Good luck

Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To harley0711. I went to this site. Which ones do you have? They don't say but I am assuming they work with the FLHRC, all they list is the FLHR.
The part# for riders of average height or shorter is WO508 Chubby RK Bar. Have you delt with this company? They say they will fit with stock cables and brake line. Was you able to change your bar without changing out the cables? They are a couple of hundred bucks. But if I don't have the cables changed out that surely would cut down on labor costs. I have a buddy who is an independent mechanic who I will probably have do this for me. Charges 40 dollars an hour labor. It would be nice to be able to sit on a bunch of bikes and see what would be best but like you say that takes time and I sure do not want to ride much longer with the stock bars. This is their web address. http://www.tejasthumpcycles.com/Parts/handle_bars/chubbys_bars.htm This is what they say about the bars. 5.5" End Rise, 32.5" Wide, 16" Pullback With 12" Center Width. Provide The Max Pullback & Comfort For Riders Average Height & Shorter. Works With Stock Cables & Brake Line on Harley Davidson FLHR, FLSTF, FLSTC!!

Old 03-11-2007, 10:28 PM
tomracer69
Advanced

i put the touring bars on my 07 road king. no need to change cables about 3 inches higher,with more pull back also a a lttle narrower.i am 5`7 and they fit fine for me. also shaved 3/4 of an inch off each side of seat,that seem to help all around fit ..tommy nyc....my classic is white/blue . gotta love the classics look. good luck.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:03 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: sparky_mo

To harley0711. I went to this site. Which ones do you have? They don't say but I am assuming they work with the FLHRC, all they list is the FLHR.
The part# for riders of average height or shorter is WO508 Chubby RK Bar. Have you delt with this company? They say they will fit with stock cables and brake line. Was you able to change your bar without changing out the cables? They are a couple of hundred bucks. But if I don't have the cables changed out that surely would cut down on labor costs. I have a buddy who is an independent mechanic who I will probably have do this for me. Charges 40 dollars an hour labor. It would be nice to be able to sit on a bunch of bikes and see what would be best but like you say that takes time and I sure do not want to ride much longer with the stock bars. This is their web address. http://www.tejasthumpcycles.com/Parts/handle_bars/chubbys_bars.htm This is what they say about the bars. 5.5" End Rise, 32.5" Wide, 16" Pullback With 12" Center Width. Provide The Max Pullback & Comfort For Riders Average Height & Shorter. Works With Stock Cables & Brake Line on Harley Davidson FLHR, FLSTF, FLSTC!!

check youre email for contact number, Harley

Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

I put a set of reduced reach handlebars (designed for the RK) on my 06 RK Classic 2 weeks ago and DID NOT have to replace the cables. I'm 5'10" and it really is nice to sit up and not have to reach forward to the controls. Now that I could even lean back, I then replaced my Sundowner Solo seat with a Mustang Solo, with removable back rest. I also have an AIR Hawk seat cushion. The ride now is really comfortable. I paid 49.95 (before taxes) for the bars.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:29 AM
acedantinne
Tourer

Your right! I'm 5'10 and the reduced reach are just right for me.
Had to splice and solder wires. I did run them wires, inside the bars for a clean look. stock Cables will work.
I dont think you will be happy with those bars at 5'8'?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:32 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What bars don't you think I would be happy with? Are you talking the stock bars or the Wild One Chubby's? On one site that I found the Chubby's, they said if you had cruise control they did recommend switching the throttle and idle cables. Said they should be another 4". Think I would have to?

Old 03-18-2007, 05:05 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

The bars I bought are H-D brand - reduced reach bars - designed for the RK. I don't know the part #. I went to the H-D shop and they brought out 3 different kinds of bars. After eyeballing them, I went with the H-D reduced reach bars for the RK. They are wide and brought the controls significantly closer to me. I am very pleased with them.

Bobby

Old 03-18-2007, 05:56 PM
TKanaley
Cruiser

I'm 5'8" and I had the HD reduced reach bars on my FLHRCI.

I now have the Wild Ones 508 and they are much better for comfort and reach! Took all but one day to get used to the wheelbarrow type grip of the 508'sand I did change out the throttle cables and brake line. 4"over is about right with the cables, but with the brake line I think 2" overwould belong enough if you can getit in+2. You can use the stock cables and brake line, but it's a stretch! Extending the wires in yourharness is a good idea also if you go with the 508's, since they barely stick out through the hole in the center when ran through the inside of the bars. I added eight inches of wire just in case I ever want to go to taller bars someday.

With the HD reduced reach, stock wires (you don't need the $50 HD extension), cables and brake lines will work fine.

Either way, do it yourself if you can, unless you don't mind dropping a few hundred dollars!