Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall guy needs help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013 | 01:53 AM
BlueBlood1568
|
Advanced
Default Tall guy needs help

Hey everyone,

I've been searching on here for a couple of hours, but I'm having some real difficulty finding the answers I want/need.

I'm 6'4" with a 34"-36" inseam. I'm pretty cramped on my '05 Ultra Classic, and wanted some advice on how to stretch out. I've added highway pegs, but need to move my floorboards/controls out and forward some. I understand I will likely need to remove my lower leg fairings.

The only extensions I can find are 1" sets. Don't think this is gonna cut it. Could you point me in a better direction please? Maybe even a seat that moves me back?

The handlebars are gonna have to go too. Time to stretch out! Help...

Old 10-17-2013 | 02:29 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Couple things I can think of right off the top of my head. V-Twin Goodies floor board extensions will move your floorboards out an inch. For $40 bucks it's one of the best mods I did. Also Next look at the Kuryakyn floor board extensions. They will move the floorboards out and forward. I think Harley may make a kit for this as well. For seats you have the HD tallboy seat. That will move you back quite a bit. Some guys really don't like it all that much though and have gone with a HD Sundowner seat instead. Many tall riders really like the C&C solo seat as it moves you down and back. If you haven't gotten the HD long angle highway peg mounts they will let you stretch out even further. After that look into extended shift and brake levers. Hope this helps you get started.

Old 10-17-2013 | 04:31 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

I don't know how to attach a link, but a couple months ago, there was a thread about this. I found it by searching for tall in the title. Many good options.

Old 10-17-2013 | 04:46 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Most of what you are looking for can be fixed or at least improved with the right seat. I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam and have stock bars and 1" board extenders. I'm riding on a saddlemen road sofa. Riding for 8-10 hours a day isn't a problem. From my experience, change the seat first, and then see if further changes need to be made. Mine works fine for me....

Old 10-17-2013 | 05:49 AM
glide2005
Supporter

I'm 6-9 in 40 in inseam. I use the air ride cop seat, it sets you up and back a couple inches. I also have the five inch swing out highway pegs. I can completely stretch out my legs. 16" ape hangers really go a long way for comfort.

Old 10-17-2013 | 06:12 AM
ChilliDrifter
Stage II

I agree with the Tallboy seat comment for sure. It was perfect for me and my Sweetie. We had 4 inches available between us. I found one like new on eBay for 225. I also though about the sundowner.

Old 10-17-2013 | 06:51 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

You don't want a seat that lowers you. You want your hips higher than your knees. There are plenty of companies out there (Corbin, Russell, Bill Meyer) that'll build you a custom seat.

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:38 AM
Clyde Frog
3rd Gear

I am 6'-6" and ride a 2009 FLHX. I had the dealership throw in a Tallboy seat when I bought the bike and while it was MUCH better than the stock seat, I had a lot of tailbone pain. I recently bought a Harley Solo Brawler and I do sit lower than the Tallboy, but it seems like I sit back further and am able to stretch out more. The biggest plus is I don't have tailbone pain issues. I added Kuryakan floorboard extension brackets (1" out and 1" forward) and bought the Harley extended floorpans (1" forward). Still not happy, I put on the Harley 12" Batwing mini apes. I could stand to go taller, but I didn't want to push it with Michigan's handlebar height law. I have the Harley extended foot and heel shifter and need to look into the extended brake pedal. I can stretch out pretty good with all that I have done. I came to the realization that there is only so much us taller guys can do and I am at about the maximum on everything.

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:54 AM
euchre98
Road Master

Get a police seat.

I had a 2000 FLHP (Road King) took the police seat off and spend well over $1000 on various seats till finally one day I threw the police seat on for the heck of it. Issues solved.

In 2005 I picked up a FLHT. The seat game started again. Not as expensive this time because I kept one of the seats from the RK and picked up another cheap off craigslist. I bought a like new police setup off a guy that was 5'5" and couldnt touch the ground with the cop seat installed. Once installed it stayed on the bike (7 years).

This past july I picked up a 13 FLHX. By the time I rode home from the dealer (15 miles) I knew what had to be done & was on the web and buying a police seat to fit the street glide.

Police seats are cheap compared to the aftermarket offerings and easily aquired off ebay.

With your 05 you'll need to install 4 rivnuts inthe frame. I had to do that to mine when I put on the seat. Rivnut install tools are cheap for the basic ones $25. and you only need to install 4 rivnuts so the fact that the basic tool is slow really isnt an issue.

Some guys like to make a drama about the air tank seeing how you have an ultra its a non-issue as it mounts under the tour pack as part of the tag bracket. In the 10+years of police seat use I've only had a leak issue once from the line getting a hole rubbed in it after a stop to NAPA the issue was repaired.

Old 10-17-2013 | 08:14 AM
broziff
Tourer

+3 on the Police seat. I'm 6'3" with same inseam and can say the function of the police seat is where its at. I run about 30 to 35lbs in the air tank. The new ones have a shock and no air tank but are a little higher and further forward than the air ones. Some models are futher back than others so youll need to do a little research.

Quick Reply: Tall guy needs help