Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why Buy a 2014
Water Cooled
27.78%
Touch Screen
32.22%
Cause it has no miles
35.56%
Would never own a water cooled Harley w/Touch Screen
31.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Official 2014 Recall thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013 | 06:43 PM
barrync
Novice
Default Clutch recall

I got an email from HD Moco day of the recall... I called two dealers to ask about it and specifically the "do not ride" clause. They both knew something about the recall but not the specifics. I asked the service dept where I bought the bike (Limited) to call me back when he knew more. The next day, I called back and he explained the parts for the master cylinder would be at the dealership Monday Oct 21st. and I was second on the recall list as it was first come first serve. (They are closed Mondays) ... I called Tuesday and they said they were opening the UPS packages as we spoke. He called back to tell me he got the master cylinder parts in, but no clutch parts. (separate issues). They called wednesday to schedule pick up with motorcycle hauler for pick up truck, came on time and delivered back to me the next day, I had no clutch issue, plates were correct... The bike now shifts smoother and seems like it should be, except for occasional downshifting, it hangs up between gears. My bike had 2940 miles since I bought it in Sept until the recall. I just put another 350 on it today... It is awesome and the recall was no big deal

Old 10-26-2013 | 09:40 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain

got the recall in the mail one day this week. Got up today and made the 50 mile ride to the dealer they did the recall and got me back on the road so it is done.
Never did have any problems out of it, and the clutch really doesn't feel any different.

Old 10-26-2013 | 09:49 PM
Mxpilot
Road Captain

Parts came into my dealer Tuesday, and they wanted to come get it, but hit a small snag. I had a business trip Wednesday and Thursday, so I dropped it off and picked it up after I got back. I think it feels better, better release and feels like it accelerates better. Could be crazy, but that's ok, I'm back riding!

And yes, I got my recall in the mail when I got back. Looked at it, asked service department fit they needed it (no), and round-filed it.

Old 10-27-2013 | 10:23 AM
digger2255
Advanced

Bar if your dealer didn't know the specifics i would soon find another dealer to do my work!!

Old 10-27-2013 | 03:28 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Default night

Originally Posted by MikeDCop
You will notice a huge difference with the lights at night on unlit roads.
Rode about 40 miles last night in the twisties around my home and then another 20 or so on the highway. Huge difference and improvement being able to throw the high beam on and keep the passing lamps on. No more dark spots in the curves. I had already adjusted them for improvement, but now being able to run the high beam is just icing on the cake.

Old 10-28-2013 | 05:31 AM
MikeDCop
Tourer

I picked my bike up yesterday. Couldn't tell the difference between pre or post recall so I'll call that a win since I liked the way the clutch felt. They only had to rebuild the clutch master cylinder.

The service manager had to fix 32 bikes total and they fixed customer bikes first. He said that he had five bikes on the floor that he hasn't had time it fix yet.

My rating of Riders Harley-Davidson will have to be a strong 8 out if 10. The only reasons I don't rate them any higher is that they couldn't deliver the bike back until later in the week and that they haven't hired a service manager with big ***** & blonde hair.

Old 10-28-2013 | 10:23 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Default Any 14 Limited owners notice a difference after recall fix

I recently had my 14 Limited picked up and had the clutch recall done. I went for a ride afterwards and noticed a difference in the "feel" of my clutch. Before the fix, my clutch didn't have a "linear" feel. It felt normal except for the last little bit of travel on the lever, and then it wasn't linear. It started smooth and then just released on the last little bit of remaining clutch travel. I didn't think much of it since this was the first hydraulic equipped bike that I've owned and thought it was just normal for a hydraulic clutch.
Now after the fix, it seems smoother and has a complete linear feel. I can tell that now when the clutch lever is moved that I get the same travel distance within the clutch itself. I was just curious if any other 14 Limited owners had a similar experience.

Old 10-28-2013 | 11:06 AM
hagerswami
Intermediate

Honestly, I didn't notice any difference.

Old 10-28-2013 | 12:15 PM
guitarhawg
Advanced

Picked mine up yesterday, and yes, I felt a difference. More so that I had been noticing an "odd" feel in the clutch before the recall...now it just feels like a well adjusted clutch.

Old 10-28-2013 | 12:26 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior

I felt no dif but I think my bike was ok to start with. I did think the master cylinder made a little bit of a plunger sound where now its silent. But the feel was the same always a nice linear clutch pull which engages right from the pull, ie no play in the lever.

Quick Reply: Official 2014 Recall thread