Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why Buy a 2014
Water Cooled
27.78%
Touch Screen
32.22%
Cause it has no miles
35.56%
Would never own a water cooled Harley w/Touch Screen
31.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Official 2014 Recall thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013 | 08:50 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moe55
This There is a separate issue with the radios. These issues cause the communications center, blue tooth, CD and even the navigation system to lock up the radio. The issue is in the ECM and BUS module code. Therefore a new flash to the ECM will need to be installed. I have not heard if the code is ready at this time.

OK, not to pick, but if someone is going to claim to KNOW a problem, they should probably get facts straight.

A. There is no CD on the new unit.
43. There is no ECM. There is, however, a BCM.

Just sayin'

Old 10-19-2013 | 08:52 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jasnusc
MOCO told my dealer yesterday No Kits have been shipped yet and the parts arent something they would have on their shelf. Wonder what they did to those 200 bikes?

But it's Rossmeyer's. They probably get special treatment.

Old 10-19-2013 | 09:45 AM
F34R
Tourer

The dealer I'm getting my Ultra from told me specifically that it will be fixed on Monday. With all this info being put out there, and it being contrary to what the dealer has said, I don't know what to believe.

Old 10-19-2013 | 09:48 AM
FlyingBear
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Moe55
This was posted on another forum by Mr Wizard his info has been accurate.

<snip>

I also hear the hydraulic clutch issue is based in the reservoir at the clutch lever. The issue will mostly effect two wheel bikes. When on the jiffy stand the fluid port falls below the fill line. When you pull in the clutch lever while on the stand air will be introduced into the hydraulic lines. When this happens the clutch may not disengage. I've also heard this is a overheating issue on the hydraulic line...doubt that is the problem. Have heard a few variations of this but the air issue makes sense and was repeated to me a few times by different sources.

I have a 2014 Ultra Limited (with no problems at all to date). I WAS wondering, however, about the clutch fluid reservoir. It's filled according to the manual, i.e. at the full line when the reservoir is horizontal. But the reservoir is so short (i.e. not tall) that the fluid disappears from the window as soon as you turn the handlebar even slightly. I'd been wondering how that would work with respect to air entering the hydraulic lines.

Hydraulic clutches on 'bikes have been around for decades, so this is clearly a problem that can be solved, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was indeed an air issue on the new 2014 clutches. My dealer (Ray Price) has been superb in every way since I started riding HDs a couple of years back, and they'll be ready to fix my 'bike the week after next. I'm sure that HD will bend over backwards to get parts to new 'bike owners, because, if they wait too long, they'll start to hit lemon law limits in various states (NC is 20 business days), and they most certainly won't want to deal with that.

It's interesting that HD told riders "don't ride", potentially risking lemon law claims if they can't get enough parts. BMW had a con rod bolt recall last year on S1000RRs. Mine was two weeks old when the recall started to leak on the internet. BMW in some countries told people "don't ride", which meant parking the 'bike for about 10 weeks! They didn't do so in the US, and I'm still raving furious at them for how they dealt with the recall: lots of runaround, poor information, nothing nada zip for owners who took the safe route and didn't ride for 10 weeks but a discount for new buyers. And, in the end, having to remove the engine from a new 'bike and replace the con rod bolts; not exactly a minor fix. A suspicious mind might have thought that they didn't tell US riders to stop riding to avoid an obvious lemon law issue, as it took them 10 weeks to begin to fix the 'bikes. My personal opinion of how they behaved means that I'll never buy a BMW product (car or 'bike) again, and I've owned four of their cars in the past. So I respect HD annoying owners but being sensitive to their safety....good call.

Old 10-19-2013 | 09:50 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by F34R
I don't know what to believe.
Brelieve that when your bike is done, they will deliver it.
And not a minute before.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Old 10-19-2013 | 11:02 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Default Why buy a 2014

So why ?

Old 10-19-2013 | 11:15 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Your poll is missing some options.

Like...

Upgraded cams, compression....
Redesigned front end
UNbelieveable handling
User friendly saddle bags
2000 cubic inch larger tour pack
Nicer rims and rotors
EXTREMELY less buffeting on the highway

Fix the poll to not look like a troll, and I'll vote.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 10-19-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Fix a typo
Old 10-19-2013 | 11:16 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

I think that given the host of problems, the poll may be overwhelmed with the last option. I'm not slamming anyone or anything, but there will be no waterhead in my garage.

Old 10-19-2013 | 11:17 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

And BTW..

ONE of my 2014's isn't water cooled, so that option is really useless....

And only 2 models of the 2014 touring bikes have touch screens...

The other 3 do not.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 10-19-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-19-2013 | 11:19 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

"Host" of problems?

Funny, I have 2 2014 touring bikes in my garage, and have not had a single issue.
And I ride.

I am taking them to the dealer for due diligence on the recall, but it is just that: due diligence.

Quick Reply: Official 2014 Recall thread