Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why Buy a 2014
Water Cooled
27.78%
Touch Screen
32.22%
Cause it has no miles
35.56%
Would never own a water cooled Harley w/Touch Screen
31.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Official 2014 Recall thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013 | 05:38 AM
djkolp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jimbo-hd
I went to dealer the day I got e-mail like my notice said to do and they did not know anything, now they are waiting for the info and parts being shipped on Monday and can not tell me any info because they say they do not know. Seems like the info should have been supplied to dealers the same time notice went to them. HD Corp knows what problem is and they also know what the fix is but my dealership says they do not know. Seems like if a part # was given for the defective or failing master cylinder then the owner could then check part # and then decide if they want to ride. I could check my part and then go to dealership and have them sign off on recall if it is not a failing or problematic part. Motorcycle is just barely 30 days old and now it sits in garage because being safety issue I will comply with recall and not drive, don't know what causes the failure and they can not tell me anything, and I would just like to have a safe vehicle to drive, and not have to rely on emergency stopping and kill switch in the event of failure. Would be great if someone would at least give a part# to check.
Apparently not that high of a priority. I wonder what "another part" might turn out to be?

“The safety of our customers is our highest priority,” said Tony Wilcox, general manager of motorcycle new product delivery for Harley-Davidson, in a statement. “We have identified potential safety issues and are moving quickly to notify our customers and dealers. … The company is committed to correcting the issues and providing customers with the quality experience and service they expect.”
Even riders who have outfitted themselves with the best protective motorcycle gear should be on the lookout for any issues that could dampen the performance of the bike, as issues with the clutch or another part may have serious consequences.

Old 10-19-2013 | 05:41 AM
SAFTFIRST
Cruiser

I'm number 2 in line at my selling dealer -- my bike was already there for the TSRAT housing leak anyway. Another LTD is ahead of me. Moco is saying clutch parts are "expected" to ship 21 OCT. We shall see.

Old 10-19-2013 | 07:03 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

if you really think about it this clutch issue is not much different than the older bikes , like mine , when is the clutch cable going to break and fail to disengage , maybe there is a recall on mine , better check

Old 10-19-2013 | 07:16 AM
Glenbo
Cruiser

Your bike got recalled. My bike got recalled. Life isn't perfect. Lots of vehicles get recalled. Here are some stats. I'm done whining about it and hope everyone else is as well.
http://www.statisticbrain.com/automo...ll-statistics/

Old 10-19-2013 | 07:21 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by OCD
Just cancelled my 2014 Street Glide Special purchase. Don't want the dealer to place a repair kit on a new bike. So ill wait until the end of November for the one I ordered. Good Timing!!
Yeah, that'll show 'em!

Old 10-19-2013 | 07:44 AM
RWPDALLAS
Novice

My dealer told me they had only seen one bike with the issue and it happened in the first 10 miles. I was told to bring my bike in, but that with almost 2,000 miles, it was probably fine to ride until I could get it in next week. Of course, this was not their official language, but came from someone I trust to tell me the real story.

I know that is no guarantee, but i plan on riding until I take it for them to check next week.

Old 10-19-2013 | 08:17 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Supporter

This was posted on another forum by Mr Wizard his info has been accurate.

Really don't want to start flaming HD but you guys should know the facts so here goes.

The parts are being "shipped" to the dealers the week of Oct 21, not received.

Most all dealers do not receive their orders until Thursday of each week.

The bikes in stock at each dealer will be fixed first. HD will not allow dealers to be left without bikes to sell.

The bikes owned and brought in will be repaired first come, first serve after the floor models.

Due to the volume of bikes being effected (I heard up to 60,000) the first shipment of repair parts will be limited.

I also hear the hydraulic clutch issue is based in the reservoir at the clutch lever. The issue will mostly effect two wheel bikes. When on the jiffy stand the fluid port falls below the fill line. When you pull in the clutch lever while on the stand air will be introduced into the hydraulic lines. When this happens the clutch may not disengage. I've also heard this is a overheating issue on the hydraulic line...doubt that is the problem. Have heard a few variations of this but the air issue makes sense and was repeated to me a few times by different sources.

There is a separate issue with the radios. These issues cause the communications center, blue tooth, CD and even the navigation system to lock up the radio. The issue is in the ECM and BUS module code. Therefore a new flash to the ECM will need to be installed. I have not heard if the code is ready at this time.

There are two colors of radiator caps. Blue and Grey. Seems, and I don't know which color goes where, the wrong color was shipped to the Water Cooled plant. (York). The Water Cooled Touring bikes are rated at 20# of pressure. The VRod is rated at 12- 15 #. Seems some of the Water Cooled Touring bikes had VRod caps installed by mistake. The VRod is made at the Milwaukee Plant.

All this information I have here is subjective to the people I get this info from. I don't get it from one person. Several contact me to discuss and this is an accumulation of what I perceive the facts to be. Sometimes you must read between the lines but when all say the same... I think you have a fact.

Old 10-19-2013 | 08:30 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior

Rode mine yesterday, scared to death the whole time. LOL
Would ride today but its an all day rain day, damn!

Old 10-19-2013 | 08:31 AM
jakejohn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by zer0t
Hmm....I wonder why we all can't get free rentals until the bikes are fixed?
Did you ask? Is your dealer a rental dealer? The MOCO is paying rental dealers a discounted rate to put recalled bike owners on a bike for 10 days.My rental was 2nd to last bike available.

Old 10-19-2013 | 08:32 AM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
I'd like to give a shout. Out to Bruce Rossmeyers in Daytona. These. Guys went above and beyond to fix bikes at the rally this week. They called my friend from her dealer. And told her to stop riding so we were at Rossmeyers already and they took it in and parts arrived at 10:30 that night and they worked all night and called her at 8:00am and it was fixed. At last count they had fixed over 200 2014 bikes. They were super nice and even tried to help me with a blinked problem as well.
MOCO told my dealer yesterday No Kits have been shipped yet and the parts arent something they would have on their shelf. Wonder what they did to those 200 bikes?

Quick Reply: Official 2014 Recall thread