Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why Buy a 2014
Water Cooled
27.78%
Touch Screen
32.22%
Cause it has no miles
35.56%
Would never own a water cooled Harley w/Touch Screen
31.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Official 2014 Recall thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013 | 03:51 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by WildThang
Yes I feel real bad about dropping coin on one of the best handling Harley's I ever rode...I am heartbroken....
LOL
Glad you like your 2014. I feel the same about my 2007, which has no issues.

Old 10-18-2013 | 04:00 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Default recall

14 Limited here, dealer called morning recall was announced. Said parts in next week and since they are closed Sunday and Monday, they will pick my bike up first thing Tuesday morning. I am NOT riding until its checked and or fixed. I have posted a few times about my trouble free miles (2400 total right now). After reading all the posts and being made aware of the recall, one memory came back to me. I was at Delmarva Bike Week and just over 1100 miles. The 1K service had been done. One morning our group got up and we headed out for the day. I remember just for an instant that that the clutch lever "just didn't feel right" for just a couple seconds after first rolling out. It went away and felt normal after a couple seconds, but I do remember pumping my clutch lever a couple times. Was it just my imagination from the beers the night before? Or was it maybe something more. Do not ride recalls are not just for our safety but the safety of others on the road with us. Been riding since 73 and yes I have had worse things happen while riding and I know I could shut the bike down. The question being, does the family behind me with kids in the car know that? Does the car running a last second yellow to red light know that? Let's all do ourselves a favor and do the right thing and the safe thing.

Old 10-18-2013 | 04:14 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

The dealer replaced the clutch MC when mine went out, then did a complete system bleed. Mine should be fixed, right?

Service manager said he couldn't be sure if my repair was good or not because MoCo had not yet provided them with detailed service procedure to satisfy recall. Remember, NHTSA gets their fingers into recalls & everyone needs to make sure all paperwork is in order & procedures followed just as a CYA w/feds.

So, bottom line, even if mine is fixed, it's not officially fixed until all the T's are crossed & I's dotted on the paper trail. Sign of the times; too many lawyers & politicians invading every facet of our lives....

Old 10-18-2013 | 04:23 PM
rizzle
Intermediate

Mine failed right at the 240 mile mark.

Old 10-18-2013 | 05:24 PM
djkolp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jakejohn
My SG went in for the 1000 mi. service Tuesday afternoon . Got a call from the service manager about the recall .He said he would pick the bike up right away(guess he didn't know it was sitting on the lift right behind him).Mine will be the first on fixed next week . I decided to rent for Sunday for a trip we take every year ! Dealer said they would discount the rental to 150. from Sat. to Mon.afternoon.Not a bad deal!As I was typing they called back and I'm getting a Road King for free and may be keeping it till mine is fixed.MOCO is picking up the tab.
Interesting to notice the different levels of dealer service I have read on this recall post. I have received no notification whatsoever from the MOCO, or from the dealer where I bought the bike. In fact, an email I sent this morning to the sales manager at the dealership, regarding the procedures for bringing the bike in for service, has gone unanswered. I'd be curious to know how many folks learned about the 2014 recalls only from this board.

DJK

Old 10-18-2013 | 05:28 PM
mp535th
Tourer

Originally Posted by djkolp
Interesting to notice the different levels of dealer service I have read on this recall post. I have received no notification whatsoever from the MOCO, or from the dealer where I bought the bike. In fact, an email I sent this morning to the sales manager at the dealership, regarding the procedures for bringing the bike in for service, has gone unanswered. I'd be curious to know how many folks learned about the 2014 recalls only from this board.

DJK
I saw it here first but had a email from the moco that morning in my inbox.

Old 10-18-2013 | 05:57 PM
wac45
Novice

I learned of the recall from the forum. I called my dealer this morning who said they would call me when they get the parts in which should be Monday. He said they could then schedule to pick my bike up and the repair itself would only take about an hour. He read me the Harley official statement and that Harley recommends not riding the bike.

They couldn't give any additional info. I am surprised I have not gotten an email notification from the dealer yet. He did say they had 150 calls just yesterday regarding the recall.

Old 10-18-2013 | 06:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by zer0t
Hmm....I wonder why we all can't get free rentals until the bikes are fixed?
ny dealer sent out a mass email to everyone on their email list informing them of the recall. i believe they also called everyone who purchased a 2014 (i didn't get a call, but then again, i don't have a 2014 ). they are not giving loaners, but they are giving everyone a $50 gift card for their trouble.

Old 10-18-2013 | 06:41 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Smile

Originally Posted by sat4314
14 Limited here, dealer called morning recall was announced. Said parts in next week and since they are closed Sunday and Monday, they will pick my bike up first thing Tuesday morning. I am NOT riding until its checked and or fixed. I have posted a few times about my trouble free miles (2400 total right now). After reading all the posts and being made aware of the recall, one memory came back to me. I was at Delmarva Bike Week and just over 1100 miles. The 1K service had been done. One morning our group got up and we headed out for the day. I remember just for an instant that that the clutch lever "just didn't feel right" for just a couple seconds after first rolling out. It went away and felt normal after a couple seconds, but I do remember pumping my clutch lever a couple times. Was it just my imagination from the beers the night before? Or was it maybe something more. Do not ride recalls are not just for our safety but the safety of others on the road with us. Been riding since 73 and yes I have had worse things happen while riding and I know I could shut the bike down. The question being, does the family behind me with kids in the car know that? Does the car running a last second yellow to red light know that? Let's all do ourselves a favor and do the right thing and the safe thing.
Well said.

Old 10-18-2013 | 07:07 PM
harleydude-fla
Cruiser

I got the email from HD yesterday morning, called my Dealer "Rossmeyer Daytona HD" and they called me @ 8:00 this morning to let me know the parts were in. I rode it to the dealership and the recall has been completed. I heard that HD had shipped the kits overnight to them and I would imagine that it had a lot to do with Biketoberfest going on this weekend. My dealer also called me yesterday to inform me of the recall.

Quick Reply: Official 2014 Recall thread