Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why Buy a 2014
Water Cooled
27.78%
Touch Screen
32.22%
Cause it has no miles
35.56%
Would never own a water cooled Harley w/Touch Screen
31.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Official 2014 Recall thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013 | 01:28 PM
jakejohn
Cruiser

My SG went in for the 1000 mi. service Tuesday afternoon . Got a call from the service manager about the recall .He said he would pick the bike up right away(guess he didn't know it was sitting on the lift right behind him).Mine will be the first on fixed next week . I decided to rent for Sunday for a trip we take every year ! Dealer said they would discount the rental to 150. from Sat. to Mon.afternoon.Not a bad deal!As I was typing they called back and I'm getting a Road King for free and may be keeping it till mine is fixed.MOCO is picking up the tab.

Old 10-18-2013 | 02:04 PM
zer0t
Road Captain

Hmm....I wonder why we all can't get free rentals until the bikes are fixed?

Old 10-18-2013 | 02:15 PM
pearlwhite
Cruiser

I found out about the recall on Wednesday. Had the 5K service done the day before (Bike had 6077 Miles on it after a trip from GA to Maine). Encountered no clutch problems. Rode the bike to the dealer on Thursday and left it with them. May not see again until end of next week. Who knows. Not an issue for me. I really like this bike and love to ride it. A friend rode with me to Maine on his new Limited and did not have any problems with it either. He now has a little over 4,000 miles on his bike.

Old 10-18-2013 | 02:22 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

I think you will survive. If you got it out 1,350 miles, I am betting it will ride back 1,350 miles. You probably have worse odds of blowing out a tire at high speed than having this "potential" recall problem effect you, without any clutch symptoms to this point on your ride. I genuinely wish neither upon you! But as bikers, we can experience any of these things without recalls, without warnings. We must always be prepared for "Events"
You have a kill switch. The situation, should it be presented to you should be fairly easy to manage through. Especially with the miles you state that you have under your seat. Many of these 14s have been ridden, test ridden for 60 days out there. The very few that have had problems have happened within the first few hundred miles from the information I have seen posted. The MOCO is going the extra mile and checking every single one of these bikes mechanically for the correct clutch lever. And covering their *** by the shutdown notice. I saying no need for panic in my opinion. Those that shut down, I respect their personal reasons.

Originally Posted by Dalejb
Those that make cute remarks about "knots in panties" don't know all of the stories. I have to admit that I can not take the time to read all of the many posts here. I am 1350 miles from home and I get a "Do Not Ride" email. I called the closest dealer on Thursday and was told the parts don't ship until Monday. I suspect that means they won't arrive until next Thursday. I also suspect the dealer will fix the bikes on the showroom floor first, the local repeat customers second and then will put me at the bottom of the list. If I follow the "Do Not Ride" order I will probably be stuck here for a month --- can't do it.

Maybe this situation is "no big deal" to you but then you probably don't ride 25,000 miles a year.

Old 10-18-2013 | 02:38 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dalejb
I also suspect the dealer will fix the bikes on the showroom floor first, the local repeat customers second and then will put me at the bottom of the list. If I follow the "Do Not Ride" order I will probably be stuck here for a month --- can't do it.
1). Never met a dealer that didn't put out-of-towners first on the list for any kind of service work.
2). Regarding unsold bikes, my dealer, when a recall happens, they "tag" the bikes on the floor. That lets the sales staff know that they can sell the bike but can't allow customer to take delivery or test ride . When bike is sold, recalls are taken care of when they prep bike for delivery. Benefit of this is if there are multiple recalls before bike sells, they deal with all at once - and good filler work if service dept. not booked in the meantime.

Old 10-18-2013 | 02:40 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Donnylee
The very few that have had problems have happened within the first few hundred miles from the information I have seen posted.

Mine failed with 2,950 miles on it Just sayin.....

Old 10-18-2013 | 02:55 PM
flhxs103
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hammz
Mine failed with 2,950 miles on it Just sayin.....
I have seen the threads but didnt pay attention to the milage (mine was 450 miles)and with all the rift raft posts, the good information get buried.
2950 miles throws a curve ball to some. I'll still ride but it wont stop raining.

Old 10-18-2013 | 03:02 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

Curious what did they do to fix it? Did it happen rolling out of the garage or out on the road? I think I read 3-4 for with the bikes that developed the problem on the site prior to recall. I remember another Member saying he found a flat clutch on the dealer floor. Might be interesting to survey the 14 owners. Who has had the problem as you have, and how many miles. Who has not had the problem how many miles.

Thanks for your info!

Old 10-18-2013 | 03:11 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Curious what did they do to fix it? Did it happen rolling out of the garage or out on the road? I think I read 3-4 for with the bikes that developed the problem on the site prior to recall. I remember another Member saying he found a flat clutch on the dealer floor. Might be interesting to survey the 14 owners. Who has had the problem as you have, and how many miles. Who has not had the problem how many miles.

Thanks for your info!
My dealer has sold 17 2014's w/hydraulic clutch (recalled bikes). Of those 17, 3 had failed prior to the recall (mine & 2 others). If this is typical, that yields a failure rate of +17%, applied to 29,000 bikes in the recall = +5,000 potential failures prior to the recall...

Old 10-18-2013 | 03:23 PM
Glenbo
Cruiser

Thanks for your info!
~900 miles, problem surfaced as I was riding in for my 1K

Quick Reply: Official 2014 Recall thread