Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why Buy a 2014
Water Cooled
27.78%
Touch Screen
32.22%
Cause it has no miles
35.56%
Would never own a water cooled Harley w/Touch Screen
31.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Official 2014 Recall thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013 | 11:50 AM
mistersandman202
Cruiser
Default Amen brother!

Originally Posted by bksmoky
Just making a general statement. I don't understand so called Harley loyalists. Why all the bashing of the 2014's.

My 2014 has a recall. Big deal.... It is being taken care of before any harmed was caused to the bike or myself. MOCO acted in a fast and efficient manor.

When I bought my 2009 many said to wait since that was the first years for the new frame and larger tire. It was an awesome bike with only a few minor issues.

I believe the 2014 is also an awesome bike. I am proud and fortunate to own one. I only hope that if I can afford another new model some day that someone will enjoy my hand me downs!
Well said Brother.... Couldn't agree more!

Old 10-18-2013 | 11:56 AM
pup
Advanced

When you put accountants in charge of quality control, you have recalls.

Old 10-18-2013 | 12:00 PM
WildThang
Road Master

Originally Posted by pup
When you put accountants in charge of quality control, you have recalls.
...and this is based on what fact?

Have you ever been to one of the factories and observed their QC program?

Old 10-18-2013 | 12:00 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

Pretty much exactly the same way I feel...... No tears here though...It is just a recall...... The knots some of these people get their panties in, is entertainment.

Originally Posted by WildThang
Yes I feel real bad about dropping coin on one of the best handling Harley's I ever rode...I am heartbroken....
LOL

Old 10-18-2013 | 12:07 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bksmoky
Just making a general statement. I don't understand so called Harley loyalists. Why all the bashing of the 2014's.

My 2014 has a recall. Big deal.... It is being taken care of before any harmed was caused to the bike or myself. MOCO acted in a fast and efficient manor.

When I bought my 2009 many said to wait since that was the first years for the new frame and larger tire. It was an awesome bike with only a few minor issues.

I believe the 2014 is also an awesome bike. I am proud and fortunate to own one. I only hope that if I can afford another new model some day that someone will enjoy my hand me downs!
Agreed. I don't have a 14, but it pains me to read about the issues.

Another thread I was on, was combined with this one. I just didn't care for the flippant, smarta$$ asshat stance the OP was taking. That would be you DSnoopy. What an ***. Oh yeah, that's NOT sarcasm.

Old 10-18-2013 | 12:28 PM
Dalejb
Intermediate
Default I am on the road

Those that make cute remarks about "knots in panties" don't know all of the stories. I have to admit that I can not take the time to read all of the many posts here. I am 1350 miles from home and I get a "Do Not Ride" email. I called the closest dealer on Thursday and was told the parts don't ship until Monday. I suspect that means they won't arrive until next Thursday. I also suspect the dealer will fix the bikes on the showroom floor first, the local repeat customers second and then will put me at the bottom of the list. If I follow the "Do Not Ride" order I will probably be stuck here for a month --- can't do it.

Maybe this situation is "no big deal" to you but then you probably don't ride 25,000 miles a year.

Old 10-18-2013 | 12:45 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dalejb
Those that make cute remarks about "knots in panties" don't know all of the stories. I have to admit that I can not take the time to read all of the many posts here. I am 1350 miles from home and I get a "Do Not Ride" email. I called the closest dealer on Thursday and was told the parts don't ship until Monday. I suspect that means they won't arrive until next Thursday. I also suspect the dealer will fix the bikes on the showroom floor first, the local repeat customers second and then will put me at the bottom of the list. If I follow the "Do Not Ride" order I will probably be stuck here for a month --- can't do it.

Maybe this situation is "no big deal" to you but then you probably don't ride 25,000 miles a year.
If I were in your shoes, I'd just have to ride it. Maybe line up a couple of dealers along the way to see if they would take care of you? The few dealerships I've been around, will put the out-of-towners at the top of the priority list, as it should be.

Just out of curiosity, where are you stuck at? Maybe someone on here, knows someone that knows someone, that knows the owner and can get you in quicker?

Last edited by FLHTCU Owner; 10-18-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2013 | 01:01 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHTCU Owner
If I were in your shoes, I'd just have to ride it. Maybe line up a couple of dealers along the way to see if they would take care of you? The few dealerships I've been around, will put the out-of-towners at the top of the priority list, as it should be.

Just out of curiosity, where are you stuck at? Maybe someone on here, knows someone that knows someone, that knows the owner and can get you in quicker?
i feel for the poster in this situation, but it really doesn't matter who knows who. can't get him in any quicker since they don't have, and won't have the parts for a bit yet.

this is something that we haven't really heard yet. what are they (moco) doing for those riders who are on roadtrips and not able to just park their rides?

Old 10-18-2013 | 01:02 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHTCU Owner

100% agree.

1.) if your bike is not showing signs of this issue you'll more than likely be fine anyways.
2.) putting out of towners at the top of service lists has been my experience as well at several dealers around texas and north carolina

Old 10-18-2013 | 01:03 PM
RobG429
Stage II

This situation impacted many of us in different ways. I certainly respect both sides of this conversation. I’ve owned many motorcycles sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. However, my 2014 SG is my first Harley. I had every intention of buying a brand new HD in 06 to relegate my Yamaha FJR’s garage status but bought an engagement ring instead. I have teased my wife for 7 years that she’s been wearing my “New Harley” on her finger. I can’t say that anymore. The 2014 SG (SE Stage 1 with V&H pipes, seat, back-rest/rack) is in the garage and I couldn’t happier. However, if it was a primary mode of transportation or if I was on a trip or had a big trip planned this weekend, I’d be PISSED. For me, I’ll park it, look at it, polish it, and RIDE it to the dealer when they get the kits in. I’ve lost a clutch two times on old bikes, not too big of a deal (especially if I’m keeping an eye on it during the 10 mile ride to the dealer). Hopefully my new amp and speakers arrive this weekend so I can put them on while the bike is “grounded”. I love all motorcycles! Old ones, new ones, Harleys, and others… (well… except mopeds, I hate those)

Quick Reply: Official 2014 Recall thread