Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why Buy a 2014
Water Cooled
27.78%
Touch Screen
32.22%
Cause it has no miles
35.56%
Would never own a water cooled Harley w/Touch Screen
31.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Official 2014 Recall thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:07 AM
GoGetter5832
Road Master

I have been loving every minute of owning my 2014 Street Glide. Having said that, I know recalls happen BUT here is my issue. When I purchased a new 2011 Wide Glide 2 years ago there was a recall with the gas tank. They had to change / modify something where you fill the tank up. When I went to pick up my bike and they rolled it out of the service department for me and it hit the sun I saw they scratched my tank pretty bad when they performed the recall. They tried buffering it out numerous times, etc. It became such a headache. I just don't like knowing they will be RUSHING through these recalls to get them all taken care of and might possibly return my bike not in the EXACT condition I drop it off. Believe me, it has to suck for the dealers to have to fix these bikes. It's not their fault. They don't build them. I just always worry about taking my bike in for things like this because I feel this is a major inconvenience for the dealer and it's not like we are PAYING for a new Mod or something so they are just going to fix these things as fast as they can and most likely not pay attention to details other than how fast they can get your 2014 out of their shop. I want to be optimistic about this but my past experience with a recall has me shaking my head. We all feel we purchased a bike from the INDUSTRY LEADER. I just expect more from HD and would think they were dotting their i's and crossing their t's before they rolled out the new models.

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:08 AM
UltraChief
Stage II
Default This recall-due to my bike!!!

This is a result of MY MOTORCYCLE. I am so incredibly happy to see that I may have saved lives. I recently bought a 2014 Eglide Ultra from Shenandoah HD in Virginia. (I have to say they are an incredible dealer and I recommend everyone go to them) The very next day after my purchase-I was on the Skyline Drive. I noticed my clutch started to fade. While on Rte 340 - I came to an intersection-red light, I pulled in clutch to gear down-NO CLUTCH. Bike stuck in gear. I was about to ride into a red light intersection with terrible consequences. Luckily I have been a lifelong motorcycle rider. I could do nothing-the bike was pulling me-stuck in gear. I hit the kill switch. That was the only way to slow the bike down. Being stuck in gear-I pulled in the brake lever but the engine was chugging and pulling me into the intersection with no clutch. I went to Groves HD in VA. They tried a fix-thinking it was air in thesystem-drained, refilled test ride and I was on my way. After about 50 minutes-I had no clutch on Rte 81 North. Riding at highway speeds, I tried to gear down as a tractor trailer moved into my lane-I was stuck in 5th gear. I tried so hard to downshift-I thought I was going to break off the gearshift. I had to pull off to the slow lane/shoulder and chug along slowly. I motioned to my brother to watch out-because I lost my clutch again. Not wanting to get stuck on the highway-I kept going slowly. I used my new 2014 GPS in dash Boom system-located the closest Harley dealer. Williamsport MD Harley. I was able to get the bike to the dealer without being able to shift. Williamsport HD was great. They tried to identify the repair. They gave me a ride to a local hotel as the bike was going to stay overnight. I couldnt believe my bike less than 24 hours old was in two different dealers for the same issue. I immediately contacted Shenandoah Harley and they were OUTSTANDING. They made immediate arrangements to go to MD and pick up my bike. I took a rental car home-Shenandoah HD picked up the bike. Matt the Service Manager at Shenandoah, Dave Nelson and Zing-took the issue to the TOP. After contacting Harley Davidson-the process began to identify the issue. My biggest concern-was saving lives because someone could die due to this issue. It took a few days-Bike was repaired by Shenandoah Harley. My bike was then delivered to me from Shenandoah HD to my door in New Jersey. After seeing the press release today-I was extrememly happy to know that I took part(not by choice hahaha) in possibly saving lives. This was a situation where a Harley would be stuck in gear-and could have tragic end results. Harley Davison Company, Shenandoah Harley in Staunton VA ALL Have my highest respect for following through and doing the right thing here.
End result-replace slave and seals.

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:08 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Old 10-17-2013 | 07:09 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member

Man o man do I feel for all the 2014 owners!

Seems like the "Mt. rushMORE" project is just that.... RUSH MORE out the door.

I hope the MoCo gets this sorted out real quick for everyone.

The hydraulic clutch is awesome set up and like LP said, it's been used on the CVO's for years without any problems. Fast forward to 2014 and NOW they have problems.

Just doesn't makes sense to me.

Good luck to all with these problems on the 2014's.

YB

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:10 AM
UltraChief
Stage II

This is a result of MY MOTORCYCLE. I am so incredibly happy to see that I may have saved lives. I recently bought a 2014 Eglide Ultra from Shenandoah HD in Virginia. (I have to say they are an incredible dealer and I recommend everyone go to them) The very next day after my purchase-I was on the Skyline Drive. I noticed my clutch started to fade. While on Rte 340 - I came to an intersection-red light, I pulled in clutch to gear down-NO CLUTCH. Bike stuck in gear. I was about to ride into a red light intersection with terrible consequences. Luckily I have been a lifelong motorcycle rider. I could do nothing-the bike was pulling me-stuck in gear. I hit the kill switch. That was the only way to slow the bike down. Being stuck in gear-I pulled in the brake lever but the engine was chugging and pulling me into the intersection with no clutch. I went to Groves HD in VA. They tried a fix-thinking it was air in thesystem-drained, refilled test ride and I was on my way. After about 50 minutes-I had no clutch on Rte 81 North. Riding at highway speeds, I tried to gear down as a tractor trailer moved into my lane-I was stuck in 5th gear. I tried so hard to downshift-I thought I was going to break off the gearshift. I had to pull off to the slow lane/shoulder and chug along slowly. I motioned to my brother to watch out-because I lost my clutch again. Not wanting to get stuck on the highway-I kept going slowly. I used my new 2014 GPS in dash Boom system-located the closest Harley dealer. Williamsport MD Harley. I was able to get the bike to the dealer without being able to shift. Williamsport HD was great. They tried to identify the repair. They gave me a ride to a local hotel as the bike was going to stay overnight. I couldnt believe my bike less than 24 hours old was in two different dealers for the same issue. I immediately contacted Shenandoah Harley and they were OUTSTANDING. They made immediate arrangements to go to MD and pick up my bike. I took a rental car home-Shenandoah HD picked up the bike. Matt the Service Manager at Shenandoah, Dave Nelson and Zing-took the issue to the TOP. After contacting Harley Davidson-the process began to identify the issue. My biggest concern-was saving lives because someone could die due to this issue. It took a few days-Bike was repaired by Shenandoah Harley. My bike was then delivered to me from Shenandoah HD to my door in New Jersey. After seeing the press release today-I was extrememly happy to know that I took part(not by choice hahaha) in possibly saving lives. This was a situation where a Harley would be stuck in gear-and could have tragic end results. Harley Davison Company, Shenandoah Harley in Staunton VA ALL Have my highest respect for following through and doing the right thing here.

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:11 AM
SAFTFIRST
Cruiser

TH HD site is getting so many hits its very slow -- I already know my productuion date and I'm affected -- but at least mine is already at the dealer FOR COOLANT SYSTEM REPAIR !!!!

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:17 AM
SAFTFIRST
Cruiser

Thnx ! Can u share a bit more about the procedure & parts used to fix?? Thnx again !!

Originally Posted by UltraChief

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:17 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lp
They have run hydraulic clutches for more than a couple of years. CVOs specifically.

Just Wow.

lp
Yes, my 2010 CVO SG has a hydraulic clutch and isn't affected by the recall. This is the first bike I have had with a hydraulic clutch and I really like it. Sounds like this recall is because they installed incorrect plates.

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:21 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Got the official email from HD this morning on the recall. Will be calling the dealership to make an appointment

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:22 AM
flhxs103
Road Captain

You are NOT the only one with a story like that so what makes you think your bike triggered the recall ?

Quick Reply: Official 2014 Recall thread