Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Kern
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garage Lighting

Currently I have four 150 watt bulbs equally spread out. It lights up the garage "so so". I was at Home Depot looking atfluorescent lights today. Are they that much brighter? I was looking at the eight foot lights with two bulbs. Thinking about putting up three of them. Adding up the wattage from the lights I have, compared to the new ones, it doesnt seem like it willmake that much of a difference.

Anyone have some insight with fluorescent lights?

Old 03-10-2007, 10:13 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Garage Lighting

Ah light up a 16 x 20' workshop with two 8' dual-lamp fixtures. Have a 3-car garage, an' ah'm fixin' ta upgrade the light in there as well. 3 fixtures should EASILY do what ya need!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 10:18 PM
blmoore20
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you live in a cold climate (or if you do and the garage is unheated), be sure to get the fixtures with the ballasts that will start in the cold. They cost a little more but are well worth it. My garage is 24' x 40' and I have (8) 8' dual bulb fixtures and it lights the garage up nicely.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:18 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

kern,,, itll be a big improvement,,, hang them close to where you spend most of your time.
its not the wattage,, its the kind of light!

Old 03-10-2007, 11:05 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Before you get carried away with lighting, look up at your sealing, Is it dark? a coat of paint will do wonders as far as making the room seen brighter. Yes more lights will help, so will a good coat of bright white paint. IMO Dan

Old 03-10-2007, 11:15 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I plan on putting up 6, 8 footers for my 22 X 20 garage, I like lots of light. Cold starts of course, I live in Michigan.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:16 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

I stuck a 4' dual bulb in my last place and that helped quite a bit. I am thinking about the same thing as you. I will most likely go with the 8 footers this time. Placement is huge and I have to agree with dgriffith about the ceiling. That will help alot too.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

the lighting difference will amaze you.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:49 PM
roady
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 8' lites you will want will be HO's. I believe that it stands for high output and they are also cold start. The tubes will have a little plastic rectangle on the ends instead of a pin.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:53 PM
curmudgeon
Cruiser

If you have regular screw-in bulbs in your garage, you might want to try 4 compact florescent lamps (100watt equivolent). You can pick them up at Home Depot for about $3.00 each. They come in three "colors" Go for the annoying bright white. They work well in a work shop. They don't seem to mind the cold. Your wife will bitch if you try to use them in the kitchen, hence moving them out to the shop. Four lamps are not going to be enough in a garage that you are trying to do work in. I think six per bay with a 9' ceiling would be a good start and keep a couple of 250 watt halogens handy.
I don't like the double 8' lamps. I always feel a little guilty when I bust them up so they'll fit in the garbage can.
I replaced a dozen old stile lamps in my house with compact florescents and my power bill dropped $15 per month.

Quick Reply: Garage Lighting