Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in values

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 852 Likes on 295 Posts

I traded my 2008 SG I bought in late July of 2007 non ABS with 40K loved miles and some tasteful mods. There first offer 10K. My own used MSRP was 12,500. They came back at 12K. Nope I wanted a little more to ink the 2014 SGS. They settled 12,500. They also had to make a trade and transfer to another dealer in Washington to get my SGS in the right color, and lost a piece in the transaction. (Ultra Classic) They have to make some money on trades bottom line. You never know how long they may have to sit on it. In the case of this Dealer (Latus) They have a huge overstock right now of used bikes. Actually it was mind numbing when I looked at their used inventory. That also makes a trade soft to them. In the end I got a number I could live with.

My old bike no surprise to me, is being offered at 15,999. Does not mean they will get it. But I was certain, and fully expected they would make a few thousand when I entered the game. The only other way out in this terrible economy is hoping someone is looking for a Private Party sale. Usually, this takes a very low mileage bike and a very good deal under dealer sell price for success in this alternative. I hate selling to the public so much, the no shows, the dreamers. That for me, it was worth the money to do the trade and be done with it.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 AM
teamhess
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded in my 2008 Street Glide (anniversary color) for my 2014 Ultra Limited, got 13,500.00 for mine with 16k miles. That was like a month ago

Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_bo
The question is not "how much did you get for a trade in?" The question is "how much did you get in trade compared to the kbb trade in value?"

I have a 2012 fatboy lo that I'm thinking of trading for a 14 SGS. Kbb says trade in is $12,325 and retail is $16,420. That's about $4k difference. Bit since I am in Nevada, I wouldn't pay sales tax on my trade value. That's about $1k of tax that I will pay it I sell my fatboy and pay cash for the new bike. This makes trading a bit more palatable in Nevada.

So... What are you guys getting for trade compared to kbb?

I traded-in a 2007 SE Ultra on a new 2014 Limited. The dealer gave me what I felt was a fair value for my bike and very close to KBB trade-in value. They gave me $17,000. I was most interested in the difference. I paid $10,372 difference plus sales tax and lic. fees.

I made my purchase at the end of August, just as the 2014's came out. Once I studied the changes and took a test ride I felt the value of my ol 2007 would start dropping fast. IMHO I felt it was better to move quick than spend a significant amount of time trying to get top dollar out of my bike; chasing the market down.

My dealer still has my ol 2007 SE Ultra on the lot for sale along with a huge inventory of used touring bikes. The last time I was at the dealership I was told that the value of older touring bikes like my 07 has dropped. Simple supply and demand.

It's all a calculated gamble. Remember, the book value on bikes, like cars drops quickly. If I had owned a 2009 thru 2013 model I might have tried to sell myself, I would think the 2014's would not have hurt their value as much; 2008 and below touring bikes are such a huge difference, I really think their value will continue to be hurt bad.

Everybody needs to do what is best for them; I am more than thrilled with my 2014 Limited and have never looked back at my decision to trade my 07 in. Remember; their are a lot of scammers out their, forged cashiers checks, counterfeit cash and thief's. Not being paranoid, I have seen a lot in my life.

Best of luck,

Scott