Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Oil Cooler is Best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 AM
Deuce55
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which Oil Cooler is Best?

I have searched several forums and cannot find much info regarding oil cooler comparisons for my 2007 Ultra Classic so sorry if this seems redundant.

I am looking at the Jagg 10-row and the Ultra Cool. Both have fan(s) to help cooling when not in motion. What are you opinions on these? Any others that you feel work well. I am looking for the following characteristics in order of priority.

1. Efficiency - lowers the oil temp significantly
2. Durability - does not leak after several years use
3. Installation - I have wrench skills but I want a reasonably easy fit.
4. Cost

Any thoughts on your own experiences are appreciated.

Thank you

John

Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 AM
In2It
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the JAGG fan assist with Jason Wards thermostat, reasonably easy install,I have an 08 Ultra so I think its the same setup but not 100% sure.Purchased it from Eastern performance after searching for best price they couldn't be beat and since i've boughten from them before and have never had any problems it was a no brainer.And yes it cools quit a bit and the fan works as advertised.Another suggestion is Wardspartwerks Fcs head cooling fans together with the Jagg you'll be impressed.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:10 AM
boatwake
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually interested in the same. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but was leaning toward the Jagg. I'm running an 09' SG with 103 upgrade. The cooler install looks reasonably simple. I guess the only reason I haven't done it yet is that I'm a big fan of fewer parts equals less to go wrong. I keep telling myself if HD felt a cooler was needed they would have installed one either when the bike was new or as part of the 103 upgrade kit. Neither recommended it. That said, I'll probably add one anyway as I would like to ride this bike for a while and it seems like a simple add on to help keep the oil a little cooler.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 AM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08 Roadglide after much research decided on ultra cool for 2 reasons 1-the simplicity of the system and installation. 2- price (at the time I purchased UC was 399$ Jagg was well over $500).
I have been very pleased with ultracool, starting with installation I ran into 1 wiring question because I was not using the led light it came with (didn't see the need to have light tell me it was running) I called UC on a sunday not expecting a return call until monday only to get a return call 10mins later, Man was I impressed and we were able to diagnose my misstep in about 2 mins.
Since installation I have put 5k miles on it with no leaks or hiccups. I do notice the bike runs cooler and I can tell until outside temp gets into the 90s then anything is hot so my seat off the pants thermostat stops working.
Overall I have been very pleased with my choice hope it helps.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The one that came stock on my 2012 SG.
I have read here on the forum that the FCS cooling fans cools down the oil better then an oil cooler....Of course I could be wrong....

Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

If you think the oil filter is a tight fit in your bikes present condition wait until you add the oil cooler with a fan.

A wards fan will do your bike more good in stopped traffic than an oil cooler with fan will. I have the jagg fan assist and the fan kicks on at 190*.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Harley premium cooler... simple and the lines are easy to access, just need to use good hose clamps. I have the UltraCool Reefer and had the adapter loosen up twice and am waiting on replacement oil lines since one rubbed a hole into the other. Did I mention that the lines are PITA to access or the sandwich adapter has to be disassembled to tighten the fitting back onto the block? I will tighten the snot out of everything and insulate the hoses with kevlar insulation to protect against vibes, if I have any more problems its going to be dumped on the side of the road...

I think the JAGG unit has an anti-rotation tab which will help the adapter to not loosen.

I also have the Ward fan system and think its a better way to keep the engine cool without adding a new weakness to the engine that can destroy it or leave you in middle of nowhere.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:42 AM
Deuce55
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the feedback. I will look into the fans as well. I had not considered them.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best oil cooler out there is the oil bud. Best aside from that is the wards part werks fan.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

The one I got from the MoCo works for me.
But, it still gets hot in the stop and go traffic.
Rob

Quick Reply: Which Oil Cooler is Best?