Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Oil Cooler is Best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:06 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got to agree with the guys saying that a head type cooling fan along with an oil cooler is the way to go.

My 107 has 10.5 to 1 compression putting out 110 hp and 114 tq. I'm running a SE oil cooler ( with out a fan ) along with a Lenale head cooling fan with good results. The SE oil cooler is easily mounted as it does not have the fan.

I do have the dash mounted oil temp gauge to keep and eye on oil temps. When stopped in traffic on 90 + degree days, this combination does a good job. These two items that I installed myself cost a little over 300$.

Last edited by mariner227; 10-16-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I know I'm the oddball here, but I'm running the Jagg VERTICAL oil cooler and I've grown to like and prefer it. I started out with the traditional low-mounted Jagg 10-row and within a few months it was damaged by an object and an immediate leak began (something I'd actually always feared could be an issue with mounting an oil cooler in such a location - sure enough it happened to me!). I gave it some thought and decided to try the VERTICAL mount as an alternative, as I log a helluva lot of miles and road debris is always a potential concern. Something taking out your oil cooler will definitely be a hassle when on the road.

Think about it, that low-mount location is a bit vulnerable to objects and debris coming up off the front tire. Personally in my case I live on a dirt road (about a 2 mile dirt road to get to/from my home), so in my case dirt/sand is flung up into the cooler fins and it needs to be frequently rinsed out with a hose for efficient air flow. Also in this low-mount location it's not exactly convenient to inspect/clean. Even under normal road conditions grit coming up from the front tire basically sand-blasts the cooling fins over time (look at your cooler and you'll see it the paint is sandblasted off right in the center area). Now yes I live in the desert, so I do have more sand/grit on the highways than some of you in other regions, but you get the idea.

After much thought I decided to try the VERTICAL mount Jagg 10-row due to a sour taste in my mouth with the low-mount location (this is NO fault of Jagg whatsoever, it's just a vulnerable spot to put a cooler no matter who makes it). I mounted it very easily and found I liked the "easy-access" location where it can very easily be inspected or cleaned/maintained. Yes, it's not exactly ideal if appearance is your main concern with your bike, but to be honest for me (within reason) function takes precedence over appearance. This vertical location is far superior all in all to the low mount position. There's a "spoiler" sort of air foil on the front/leading edge of the vertical mounted version. I called Jagg and inquired about this and was told testing in high velocity air flow conditions actually shows that this spoiler acts to suck air through the cooler at a higher volume than without it. Looking at it after the discussion I can now see what they're saying and it makes sense. On the road it definitely works very well. My temps were down around 15-20* from running with no cooler at all (since the Jagg cooler was installed I have since then added an FCS cooler also and WOW what a difference when both of these are combined - probably 25-30* cooler combined generally speaking).

Anyhow, just my experience. Give the vertical some thought, it's actually a great place to mount a cooler from a practical standpoint. I've been running it like this now for about a year and swear by the vertical mount. No matter how many miles I ride it's PERFECTLY CLEAN - zero bugs, no grit, no dirt of any kind whatsoever. My low mount had to be rinsed out with a hose/water to get the grit and bugs out from the fins. Also it's very easy to inspect it and check the hoses. ZERO LEAKS also. It stays perfectly clean in this location and really doesn't detract from the looks IMO.

Oh and also another benefit (due to the nipples being at the bottom end of the vertical mount) - when doing an oil change the oil is not trapped inside the cooler like it is in a horizontal mounting position - it runs out just by gravity due to where it's situated.

Jagg's quality is excellent in every way.

Last edited by Arizona; 10-16-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling and add'l comment
Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

A couple pics...

Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Deuce55
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job. I can see how that will be more protected. After reading the responses I have been leaning toward the fans as there is no risk of leaks. This was in comparison to the lower, horizontal mounted oil cooler and like you, concerned about vulnerability to damage. Do you know if having lowers will interfere with either mounting and/or air flow? I am not planning on removing the lowers.

Thank you for sharing your info and pics.

John

Old 10-17-2013, 01:18 PM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0-
I have the UltraCool Reefer and had the adapter loosen up twice and am waiting on replacement oil lines since one rubbed a hole into the other. Did I mention that the lines are PITA to access or the sandwich adapter has to be disassembled to tighten the fitting back onto the block? I will tighten the snot out of everything and insulate the hoses with kevlar insulation to protect against vibes, if I have any more problems its going to be dumped on the side of the road...
yeah, exactly what I did with my Ultra Cooler, yanked it off and chucked it in the garbage. once I finally got it installed the way I wanted (not that I had many choices) every single oil filter change after was a PITA because of the clearance problems - meaning there was none. the last straw was when the hose clamps vibrated themselves loose and dumped my oil. I decided right then and there that hot oil is better than no oil. I've ridden my harleys with no coolers and no problems for over 30 years so I see no reason to run out and get one anytime soon.
Good Luck

Old 10-17-2013, 02:20 PM
garyFLHPI
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2006 Road King and after long research I installed OILBUD cooler. My reasons were:
1. Efficiency. It has a biggest surface and does not require fan (one less thing
to brake).
2. Durability. It is extremely durable, shotgun proof (watch the video)
3. It does not block the air flow in front of the engine.

So, as a result my bike runs much cooler and performs MUCH better especially on hot days and I can not be much happier. For me OILBUD or nothing.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:28 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,800 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
I know I'm the oddball here, but I'm running the Jagg VERTICAL oil cooler and I've grown to like and prefer it. I started out with the traditional low-mounted Jagg 10-row and within a few months it was damaged by an object and an immediate leak began (something I'd actually always feared could be an issue with mounting an oil cooler in such a location - sure enough it happened to me!). I gave it some thought and decided to try the VERTICAL mount as an alternative, as I log a helluva lot of miles and road debris is always a potential concern. Something taking out your oil cooler will definitely be a hassle when on the road.

Think about it, that low-mount location is a bit vulnerable to objects and debris coming up off the front tire. Personally in my case I live on a dirt road (about a 2 mile dirt road to get to/from my home), so in my case dirt/sand is flung up into the cooler fins and it needs to be frequently rinsed out with a hose for efficient air flow. Also in this low-mount location it's not exactly convenient to inspect/clean. Even under normal road conditions grit coming up from the front tire basically sand-blasts the cooling fins over time (look at your cooler and you'll see it the paint is sandblasted off right in the center area). Now yes I live in the desert, so I do have more sand/grit on the highways than some of you in other regions, but you get the idea.

After much thought I decided to try the VERTICAL mount Jagg 10-row due to a sour taste in my mouth with the low-mount location (this is NO fault of Jagg whatsoever, it's just a vulnerable spot to put a cooler no matter who makes it). I mounted it very easily and found I liked the "easy-access" location where it can very easily be inspected or cleaned/maintained. Yes, it's not exactly ideal if appearance is your main concern with your bike, but to be honest for me (within reason) function takes precedence over appearance. This vertical location is far superior all in all to the low mount position. There's a "spoiler" sort of air foil on the front/leading edge of the vertical mounted version. I called Jagg and inquired about this and was told testing in high velocity air flow conditions actually shows that this spoiler acts to suck air through the cooler at a higher volume than without it. Looking at it after the discussion I can now see what they're saying and it makes sense. On the road it definitely works very well. My temps were down around 15-20* from running with no cooler at all (since the Jagg cooler was installed I have since then added an FCS cooler also and WOW what a difference when both of these are combined - probably 25-30* cooler combined generally speaking).

Anyhow, just my experience. Give the vertical some thought, it's actually a great place to mount a cooler from a practical standpoint. I've been running it like this now for about a year and swear by the vertical mount. No matter how many miles I ride it's PERFECTLY CLEAN - zero bugs, no grit, no dirt of any kind whatsoever. My low mount had to be rinsed out with a hose/water to get the grit and bugs out from the fins. Also it's very easy to inspect it and check the hoses. ZERO LEAKS also. It stays perfectly clean in this location and really doesn't detract from the looks IMO.

Oh and also another benefit (due to the nipples being at the bottom end of the vertical mount) - when doing an oil change the oil is not trapped inside the cooler like it is in a horizontal mounting position - it runs out just by gravity due to where it's situated.

Jagg's quality is excellent in every way.
That's one of the reasons they sell mud flaps.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:19 PM
pavin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a ultra cool on my bike for awhile, it was a early model and had issues. It's gone now and I have a head fan, muucch better.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 PM
MarcV125
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler and also Jasons fans. I cant tell you what made the most difference as i installed both together. But i can tell you that in the humid northeast summer at the hottest of hottest times, my oil temp never went above 230. Im happy with that..Normally, 80 degree day ..she is right about 210..

Old 10-17-2013, 07:48 PM
groovna
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by garyFLHPI
I have 2006 Road King and after long research I installed OILBUD cooler. My reasons were:
1. Efficiency. It has a biggest surface and does not require fan (one less thing
to brake).
2. Durability. It is extremely durable, shotgun proof (watch the video)
3. It does not block the air flow in front of the engine.

So, as a result my bike runs much cooler and performs MUCH better especially on hot days and I can not be much happier. For me OILBUD or nothing.
I have the Oil Bud on my Rocker with 107 Fuelmoto Hellraiser build and it runs about 20 degrees cooler than my SG 103 with factory cooler. Added bonus is it offsets the oil filter a little further away from the cylinder for more room for changes and no hose clamps to leak!!

Quick Reply: Which Oil Cooler is Best?