Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fitting new style fairing on roadking

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:39 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fitting new style fairing on roadking

ok guys I know the easy way to do it is to buy a dragonfly or other brand aftermarket fairing, but I have lots of elbow grease but not much money. I also know the older style faring without the inner shell is easeir but I want to put ina radio for long trips, so here goes. can a new style fairing inner and outer shell's be made to fit a roadking? and will some one explain what is involved? Thanks, Mike

Old 03-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: fitting new style fairing on roadking

I believe it can. I have a Quadzilla fairing for my Road King. It is an excellent product but to me just doesn’t look quite right parked next to my Ultra. I purchased an inner and outer fairing and some miscellaneous parts on Ebay. I have designed and am having fabricated a set of brackets to mount it. Some material will have to be removed from the inner fairing and the internal bracing needs to be modified. Also, the area surrounding the nacelle on the outer fairing needs to be modified and some material removed. Weight will be a consideration as it should probably be kept around 20-21 lbs as the other aftermarket fairings are. I don’t know if it will work or be a pile of junk to be trashed but it will be fun to find out. Also, McKay’s Cycle Creations (http://www.mckayscyclecreations.com/) used to offer a set of brackets. I don’t know if they worked just with the outer fairing or with both the inner and outer fairing. Mckay indicated to me he may start offering them again and to monitor his web site for their availability. I decided not to wait and try it on my own.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/D65C3363699647D6BA9336E65EDB443A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-11-2007, 06:19 PM
KSSportster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mean to steal the thread, but I just can't help but say, Fast Eddie, that bike looks very tough! I mean, tough!

Old 03-11-2007, 07:27 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: KSSportster

Don't mean to steal the thread, but I just can't help but say, Fast Eddie, that bike looks very tough! I mean, tough!

don't worry about stealing the thread I agree with you

Fast Eddie please keep me in touch as you work on your fairing project. you said some of the internal bracing may have to be modified I have not bought a fairing yet could you please elaborate thanks Mike D

Old 03-12-2007, 02:13 PM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am in the finishing touches of re-converting my 2001 RK to a Ultra. I say reconvert because the previous owner bought this bike as a 2001 EG police and converted it to a RK. I wnated a EG so i re-converted it to the 'soomewhat' original. I bought nearly all the harware from ebay. Needless to say it takes a lot of work but i basically have a new bike. As soon as i get it fully completed, i will post some picks. I had considered the dragonfly fairing also, but decided to go all out and get the bike i really wanted. Waiting on the saddlebags from the painter. If you are considering a refit as i did, i have many helpful hints that i wish i knew from the beginning that would have saved many hours.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain

Thanks all hints are welcome even in what I should look for in buying the fairing. I realy dont want to convertall the way toa ultraglide I think the fairing off a electraglide standerd might meet my requirments, radio and more weather protection.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone has thier reasons for converting from one style to another as we all know.

I wanted to go it on the budget, and now thousands of dollars later the picture below is what my RK has turned into.

I'm sure that you can get some deals on e-bay. I have myself, however a lot of the items get bid up higher then what you want to pay or what you could have bought them fromthe dealer "new" with your paint codes!

I have realized that "H-D" does infact stand for "Hundreds of Dollars" and that any one who purchases a H-D is only making payments on an accessory starter package.

So much for my ramblings:

I've got the Dead Center Cycles fairing and love it. Its locable and removes in seconds when unlocked.

http://www.deadcentercycles.com/gallery.aspx

You may find an ol'style fairing that just mounts to the handle bars. I've had one off an old EG, on a old Honda and it worked great for me. It has no dash just an outer forward shell and windshield. If you did get one very cheap from e-bay it could need some fiber glass repair and or new brackets. The orignals could have a good coat of rust on them by now from a 70's era bat wing.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sportyrider1

ORIGINAL: KSSportster

don't worry about stealing the thread I agree with you

Fast Eddie please keep me in touch as you work on your fairing project. you said some of the internal bracing may have to be modified I have not bought a fairing yet could you please elaborate thanks Mike D
There are two brackets that mount to the trees and also hold the radio. They have to be modified to not attach to the trees but still hold the radio. There are also two smaller brackets that go from these brackets to the speakers. There may be the need for addiitonal bracing but I won't know until I get the bracketsfrom the fabricator, attach the inner and outer fairing and putthe assemblyon the bike and test it's stability.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

Fast Eddie that is one fine ride you got there, be proud!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:12 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain

Fast Eddie thanks for all the info I may go ahead and try to find me a fairing inner and outer to start playing with. I hope to find a electraglide standerd fairing or a ex police fairing because it has less holes to try to fill.