Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If we can't have a forum just for 2014 problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:20 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I was at a house party last night and got into a discussion with a knowledgeable and mechanically competant youngster that owns a Night-Train. I rarely meet people mechanically knowledgable as this young man. I brought up this exact point with him, he said to me what he doesnt know how to do he has a good friend thats a very experienced mechanic at one of the dealerships in our valley. According to his good friend who services all models all day long there are no real problems with the 2014s. Hes actually going to look at a second bike today and confident enough in doing so. I got to know him well enough during our tech chats that I believe his confidence is valid and that perhaps were only hearing a slanted opinion on the matter.
I'm sure that's a valid point. But I also think that for being 1 month into the new model year, the amount of problems are significantly higher than previous years, even when wholesale changes were made such as 2009. Either way, the forum is being choked down with 2014 problem threads. Face it, the vast majority of hdforum members are not riding 2014 bikes. Yet we have to fish through several pages of threads that we cannot contribute to looking for something substantial that we can relate to. I know, dead horse. Kicked once again.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:25 AM
chainsaw123
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted in before the lock, move, moderated or deleted.

Nope, wade through the bastard threads to get info relevant to the past years of our bikes. Gotta pay the price for free info! The new bikes ARE the 20k pound elephant in the room. cant go around em, cant isolate em, cant move em. here to stay.

It may be better to break off year by year for specifics but thatl never happen either.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:28 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I was at a house party last night and got into a discussion with a knowledgeable and mechanically competant youngster that owns a Night-Train. I rarely meet people mechanically knowledgable as this young man face to face discussing e every aspect of the bikes we ride . I brought up this exact point with him, he said to me what he doesnt know how to do he has a good friend thats a very experienced mechanic at one of the dealerships in our valley. According to his good friend who services all models all day long there are no real problems with the 2014s. Hes actually going to look at a second bike today and confident enough in doing so. I got to know him well enough during our tech chats that I believe his confidence is valid and that perhaps were only hearing a slanted opinion on the matter.
And you know that that could be true

Old 10-13-2013, 08:33 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chainsaw123
just wanted in before the lock, move, moderated or deleted.

Nope, wade through the bastard threads to get info relevant to the past years of our bikes. Gotta pay the price for free info! The new bikes ARE the 20k pound elephant in the room. cant go around em, cant isolate em, cant move em. here to stay.

It may be better to break off year by year for specifics but thatl never happen either.
My point is that if I don't own a 2014 or I'm not a hd mechanic, which I am neither, I can't add to, assist, relate, help, share advice or anything else to a thread about 2014 models. They are completely different. All I can do is offer moral support and quite frankly, if you bought a first year bike and didn't expect problems, then I'm not sure you even deserve moral support. At this point, I just think that in the interest of not only the majority of forum members (that own 2013 and older bikes) and for the 2014 owners to be able to find relevant information for their concerns, it might be best to separate the two. Like I said previously, this new lineup of bikes has choked down the forum like never before....

Old 10-13-2013, 08:36 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Add This Thread To The List

We can add this thread to the list of 2014 problem threads! IRONIC!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:41 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Comparing the 09 changes to 14 is apples and oranges. A new frame with all tried and true stuff attached to it is a change, but not a front to back, all new change. This year is liquid cooling, interconnected brakes, new front forks and triple tree, new electronics, and new "tin" are all bound to have growing pains. Might any of you complainers ever buy a 14 used? You might want to know what to look for when checking over the candidate machine. Or is this just sour grapes that you can't swing one of your own?

Old 10-13-2013, 08:52 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by btsom
Comparing the 09 changes to 14 is apples and oranges. A new frame with all tried and true stuff attached to it is a change, but not a front to back, all new change. This year is liquid cooling, interconnected brakes, new front forks and triple tree, new electronics, and new "tin" are all bound to have growing pains. Might any of you complainers ever buy a 14 used? You might want to know what to look for when checking over the candidate machine. Or is this just sour grapes that you can't swing one of your own?
Actually, I could lay down 100 dollar bills for one and leave the dealership with title in hand. But why would I? I have a perfectly good bike in the garage that does everything a bike should. Would I buy one used? No. Maybe they will get it right in 2015? I still won't be a prospect to buy one. So many people get caught up in having to have that new bike smell, and never really get it. Buy the exact bike you desire. Don't 'settle' for anything less. Don't impulse buy especially when you are talking about 20k+$ and/or 5 years of payments with interest. How much technology does one need on 2 wheels? A radio, cruise control, a garage door opener, yeah, mine has that. But to be able to take a phone call?! Come on man! Again, if the 2014 bikes call your name, then get on one. But don't expect everyone else to follow. I'm good, really.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Bought my first new Harley 40 years ago. I can still remember riding it, before the internet. What fun it was - not knowing what I should be worried about.......

Old 10-13-2013, 09:04 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Bought my first new Harley 40 years ago. I can still remember riding it, before the internet. What fun it was - not knowing what I should be worried about.......
Oh yeah, you knew. Put some cardboard under it, and always carry tools!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:09 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the idea of "14" problems is significantly compounded here buy just a few of the overall membership. Not all harley riders are on a forum and not all of those that are; use this one. I have a 14' and I've had zero problems with mine over the last 500 miles. I have several friends at my dealership, whom I talk to outside of the dealer employee/customer relationship, and they haven't had one of their watercooled bikes come back for anything other than the 1st service or to get goodies installed.

Quick Reply: If we can't have a forum just for 2014 problems...